This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with New Fire apparatus

Our fire department took delivery of a new KME Pumper/Tanker built on an International 300HP commercial chassis. We have had several little things go wrong with it since it was put in service. The electronic siren went out, the windshield leaked, doors are sprung, cab out of level, ABS light stayed on for awhile, etc. Has any other department out there had any problems with new deliveries? Members of the department are starting to call the new truck a lemon. It aggravating to hear comments like that since I was the new truck committee chairman.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Your problem, my friend, is that you bought KME. The only thing "world class" about KME is their marketing and sales organization, which deserves some substantial credit for pulling off the image they seem to have managed to create. The only comfort I can offer is that many others have gone through this before you and many more will follow.

I feel fortunate in living close enough to their plant to have seen some of their early failures and, hence, know enough to avoid their current failures at all costs.

My condolences.

Comment

Every manufacturer has problems, it's not a KME exclusive. Custom, commercial, single manufacturer or pieced together from several, they all have problems. I've worked with around a dozen new deliveries and each had problems, some minor others not so minor. The rigs were built by some very reputable companies: E-One, Pierce, ALF, Medtech, Road Rescue.
      Just stay on the manufacturer till everything is OK. My experience leads me to believe that it takes about a year to get the bugs out. Then your good till stuff starts to wear out.

Keep your chin up, and stay safe.

Comment

It sounds like the Intrernational portion or the Chassis is where the problems are. I have heard that International has some problems with the quality of there product. I'm not saying they are a bad company or sell bad products. I just believe that there are better products out there. The same with KME.
        Personally I prefer Kenworth. My brother owns two and has no problems with either one.

Comment

The ABS light is the subject of an International Service Bulletin. Your dealer should be able to get you a copy. Our new E-One is at the International dealership today for this very fix. It's really aggravating because this is the third trip for the same problem. Quite frankly, I've been extremely disappointed with the quality of the International service staff. They just don't give a #$%#. Warranty work is expensive for local dealerships, since they never made the original sale and get reimbursed peanuts, but the company should put some emphasis on service anyway.

We sent back the first engine that E-One delivered last fall because of a different International problem that they could not resolve locally.

Good luck.
          Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Comment

Don't bone on International for your ABS light being on if you run a midship pump.Think about what's happening.The abs computer is seeing the drivshaft spinning with the wheel sensors stationary.FRED (Fantastic redundant electronic device) recognizes this as an abby-normal condition and turns on the light.You'll note if you turn your ignition off and then back on while in road gear the light will stay off.We wondered what was causing the problem til I took some time to figure it out.Hope this helps.T.C.

Comment

Since I have seen 3 new trucks in our station since I joined there are just a few pointers I could offer,

1. DO NOT BUY FROM FLY BY NIGHTERS, we bought a engine 3 years ago from a small company in the south and just last year had to put $25,000 worth of repairs into the truck from manufactorer screw ups when the truck was built and still trying to get money from our WARRANTY.

2. If at all possible buy something you can get GOOD SERVICE at a local location.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU SOME.
              Firefighter/CCEMT-P
              May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Comment

Stay away from apparatus from Quality. Quality Piece of Sh$t. I think it's out of florida somewhere. We bought a tanker from them in 90 and had to have it repainted in 95, numerous mechanical problems.
                HELL YEAH!!!
                The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Comment

Really? The department I work for bought a 3000gal KME tanker on the International chassis (it was actually a demo model) and its a GREAT truck.. never had a problem with it.

Comment

We run 2 KME's on International Chassis.
                    One is a 1000 Gal/1000 GPM "Engine" - a 1994 model

The other is a 1500 Gal / 1250 GPM Pumper/Tanker on a 2000 (I think) chassis.

The newer truck has been in service since about November last year and so far the only problem we've had was the strap that holds up the exhaust pipe burnt through. KME is still trying to figure that one out (as far as I know), meantime we just re-hung it with a piece of chain and no more problem.

As for the older truck - we haven't has a single problem that we can blame on KME or International.

Now I gotta go look at my map and figure out where Virgilina is.

Take Care - Stay Safe
                    Stephen
                    FF/Paramedic
                    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
                    Stephen
                    FF/Paramedic
                    Instructor

Comment

spo0k-

Tanker 151??????
                      Say it ain't so....

Post #100!!!!!!!
                      My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

every new fire truck has problems, from little things to big things, just keep after the manufactor, and they will get done, if they dont, put the word out, KME dosent want to lose business, so just keep after them

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X