This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haz-Mat in tunnels

Would having something like a Ansol system in a tunnel such a Howard St. be; 1. safe, 2. cost effective, 3. what to use as suppresion, for the wide varieties of chem. out there. I would like to hear your input.

do you work in a tunnel? I am just curious. I think I can answer some of your questions.

Comment

Mediator
      No I don't work in a tunnel. right now don't even live by one. I have seen tunnels in just about every major city I have been in.
      I live near the coastline in NC. We have a potash co. near by (hydrocloric acid,anhydrus ammonia, etc.), boat building ( tolene), and a military base (?).
      If the tunnel is unmaned, would a system or one simmilar be possible. I know there is classes in Haz-Mat with the chem suits and scba's, but its the fire and heat
      that is going to get most.
      This is going to be a textbook incident,and we are all going to benefit from what they have already learned in Balt.
      It's incidents such as this one, that puts changes in place. ie; shorter tunnels, shorter trains, product container restrictions, this one and that one not in the same train line,etc.
      And the cost, manpower, lost wages, lost revenue, the enviroment, the cleanup,etc.
      And is this considered a comfined space?
      rm41

Comment

-- Do believe one of the press statements from Balto FD did say it was a "confined space" and seems reasonable to me!

-- Sprinkler systems are an interesting idea, and what's the worse that would happen, it wouldn't work? When you have a train derail, an awful lot could move and break (like a 40" water main above...). While buildings might be reasonable to waive other rules like easing egress requirements in exchange for sprinklers, not sure if you'd want to waive other requirements for transportation facilities.
        IACOJ Canine Officer
        20/50

Comment

Redmedusa,
          Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I work in a tunnel on the interstate. We have no restrictions an the type of haz-mat that passes through. Now I guess your wondering what kind of fire supression we have? Well believe it or not the only thing we have is fire extinguishers!! There is a wrecker/fire apparatus here with a big ansul type system on it. The only problem is that the powers that be have dismantled the hole system on the truck. The only thing the truck is used for is a so-called wrecker. There is no sprinkler system here either. The tunnel is covered by two fire departments. It is considered a confined space even though it is open at both ends.

Comment

I never really liked tunnels, and what they run through them. I was not thinking about water. I was thinking more on foam or a gel that when released would turn into foam (shaving cream can.) This would help your suppresion on fire and vapors, or at least buy the responding units some time to asses the situation. Water would not be a good choice, it reacts with to many chemicals and you would have to control the run off.
            Placeing a system head every so hundred feet
            might contain it all to a smaller area.
            rm41

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse