This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfpa 1710

I would like suggestions on how a department with 13 on duty per shift would meet nfpa 1710 standards on 15 at scene of fire? Thanks.
    jason tyler

Simple... Hire more people. or develop mutual aid agreements.

I am excited about 1710, I've read the document, and agree with IAFF and IAFC that this will make the politicians do more than build pretty firehouses, put pretty equipment in them, and then staff them with 2 people every shift. The public is being sold a bill of goods, and being given a false sense of security.

I've worked with only a skeleton crew on shift. It was dangerous then, and still is today.

I want to know how you can safely fight a fire with only 13 people.

1 attack Eng Chf
    1 relay pumper chf
    1 IC
    2 to vent
    2 for search
    4 for RIT
    2 on attack
    2 on back up line

15 seems pretty minimum to me, that doesn't include EMS, what if there is a victim, who will treat them? What if there are 2 victims? who will save the second? Who will put the fire out?

And... I'm not against using part timers/ volunteers either. Maybe some Paid FD's will look into other options.

Comment

I am amazed more didn't weigh in on this topic, so I'm posting to move it to the top of the list again.

What are some of your opinions about 1710?

Comment

I love the idea of 1710, unfortunately the City of Detroit will probably not adopt the standard. We have been fighting the city for 20 years on the 4 man ride, to no avail. We ride with 3-85% of the time. The only companies that are staffed with 4 everyday are the rescue squads (6). Detroit is infamous for not adopting NFPA standards. Their attitude is, we've got ours (pay, bennies, city vehicles & top heavy admin positions) and screw you low life, money grubbing firefighters!

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Comment

Hello all,

I believe NFPA 1710 is the way to go for career FD's.

It, at least, sets a standard for us to go by. If a city decides NOT to follow that for some reason, I feel that they might be held responsible if something happens to a brother. Especially if they follow other NFPA standards.

Comment

As the others said, more people or auto aid. As far as adopting this one.. I guess it would have more of a chance if the fire service didn't complain and/or refuse to comply with almost every other NFPA standard out there. I've seen arguments on here against 1901 (I can't put lights where I want), 1500 (only wimpy firefighters are safe) 2 in / 2 out... gotta be a real wimp, 1971, 2, etc.. turn out gear is for sissies. NOW, when it comes to staffing and deployment the NFPA got their heads out of their ***es and got it right?.... If your city adopted 1710 would you willingly adopt and adhere to all the other standards? Careful now....

Comment

It want be any good if the cities or communities are not forced to do comply with the standard. If they can pick and choose which standard to adopt then you know they want adopt 1710 or 1720 because of the money issue. The government will have to do like they did some years ago when they used to work 2 shifts (24 on 24 off), they told the cities YOU WILL HIRE A NEW SHIFT to comply with FLSA laws. Until the local governments are forced to comply with 1710 your cities leaders want give it a second thought.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X