Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a couple of guys who retired from the job(aged out really) and every day on their old shift they drop into their old station. its kind of sad really. No one minds retirerees dropping in, but when I pull the pin I hope I have more going on in my life then going to the firehouse every day.

Comment

I have only been in this vollie career for about six years, but I can say this with authority: I love it, and if there is some way that I can figure out how to make it a paid/career thing that'll support my family size then I'm on it! It grows into, or I guess takes over is the right phrase, part of me every run. It's almost like I am supposed to be doing this for life, and this is maybe God's way of "steeping" me into little by little for some reason. At any rate, to avoid and deep subjects, let me close by saying that I wholeheartedly agree with those that advise an "outside" life. I am fulltime USAF SF, vollie FF, but one of my great loves aside from my precious wife is CARS....and just about anything ELSe that will race!
      Oklahoma Bound!

Comment

I would say a way of life for me. I'm a 3rd generation volunteer. My father is a retired professional chief. I have been around this all my life. Some of my first memories as a kid was my mother waking my brother and I up in the middle of the night (on a school night) to go and watch my father and the rest of my friends fathers on a working job. Running to the corner in full rubber snow boots, rain jacket and plastic fire helmet just to see my father smile from the officers seat when they passed by the house. I didn't join until I was 29 for reasons I will not get into but I kick myself for waiting. I hope and pray that I can make this a career one day. I'm not the only one, most of my childhood friends are now the people who are on that engine smiling down at the kids on the corner.

Be safe and protect each other. If we don't, Who will?

BB

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: SHCoTrk531 ]

Comment

after 20 years so far in the fire service
          i have learned, keep time for yourself first, and you will keep balanced with the demands of our job's in the fire service

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X