Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it`s deffinately my life, it`s all i know, my dad is asst cheif, i`ve been a vollunteer for 7 years and a military firefighter for 1 year now and in the process of joining another volunteer station on my days off.

Comment

Been a cereer FF/PM for 4 years now, bottom line, I love going to work, I love the guys I work with, I love the job for what it is, I respect it tremendously, and I consider it a privalege to do this for a living.

I learned, after getting divorced, to leave alot of it at the station. Off time is time for family and friends. I let the "job" overtake my personality and it wasn't healthy. I have found an equal balance now, and enjoy the job every day I work.

It is the last job where people respect you for what you are, before they even know anything about who you are. Not many people can say that.

Comment

It is my life, of course i am not married, never have been so i cant comment on that aspect, and i dont have to much else to get in the way, but thus far i will have to go with life.

Comment

Grit, actually it is unmarried and no kids for me. Sorry, I am one of those women that will stay single until my mid-30s....I am having way too much fun out there!
          Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

I'm a paid firefighter, its my job, one that I enjoy and take a lot of pride in. However, I personally try to leave it behind when I leave the station (or office now that I'm assigned to admin.) I think its important to develop some other interests, for some this will revolve around their family life, but even then I think its important to have a hobby or some other interest that will enable you to "get away" from the job and relax.

Comment

It's my job, I truly love it, and think it's the best job in the world, however when I go home, then I am Dad and a Husband (or try to be), I see these guys ,especially married with kids, pouring all their off time into it and can only think, they need to give it a rest. NO JOB IS WORTH SACRIFICING A SPOUSE AND CHILDREN!!!! Think about it. I'm not saying don't be dedicated, I'm saying don't be obsessed. Stay safe all!!

Comment

I guess you could say the fire service is my life. Many of my closest friends are the guys I work with day in and out. I seem to spend the hours away from work on work...In training classes (both attending and teaching) working on site pre-plans, and the semmingly neverending paperwork that accompanies the job.
                I am extremely fortunate, that my fiance is supportive of what I do and she understands my dedication (well for now at least!!)

Comment

Agreed on all counts. I vollied in a small town before I got a chance to go professional. I loved every minute of it then as now. I could do without the politics that sometimes get thrown into the works, but I have realized that is just part of the game. I have children that love to hear my stories and always want to drive by and see the aftermath of where we worked. I can't see myself ever doing anything else.
                  As Always, Stay Low and Stay Safe.

Comment

I love my job, and I love my department. But it is not my life. Jesus Christ is my life! What is more important than one's destination after death? That's why Christ is my life. And it is because of His blessings that I am able to do the job I love and work at the department I do. Besides, if I made the fire service my life, where would that leave me when I retire or am no longer able to do the job?
                    I LOVE THIS JOB!

Comment

I think the original post made the two catagories too simple. Some may see guys who walk away for 48 hrs as being less than dedicated, or less in love wth their job. I say they are wrong. I think the ones who DO walk away for a rest are better Firefighters. They are able to get some perspective about what we do, and why we do it. Many (certainly not all) of those who have made it all they do have lost some of that perspective. I have seen many others like that, and like one of the posters said after 3 wives... wow... that is depressing to me.

For me there is so much more than this. Although it is a very important part of my life, and makes me what I am, but when I leave the Firehouse after a shift, I try to let it go as best I can. That said, I also go to Schools (even after 16 yrs), and still give Fire Prev talks on my own time for my kids classes, and for friends.

So... I think there is a third catagory in between the original two that fits more of us...

Comment

It's my life, I can't get enough of that fire stuff. I can recall ruining alot of relationships and [email protected]#$ off alot of friends because of my pager going off. I too like watching anything about fires or firefighters.

Comment

I have always wanted to be a firefighter. Now I am a paid firefighter/paramedic, and I was a volunteer before that. I have a family at home that supports me in whatever I want to progress in. I try to not let it run my life, but I have to admit that I lOVE THIS JOB!! Now, my opinion may change 15 years down the line, but for now, the fire service is a lifestyle that my family and I are a part of. If that ever has to change then I am willing to try. However, I have no problem getting up for work in the morning!

Comment

My former captain had no life what so ever. He breathed every day for the fire service. This man once even worked 35 days straight at the fire dept. His wife would bring him new clothes food ect for that time period. While that was going on his wife was raising 4 kids by herself and he never had any interest in outside activites. Even sticken with bone cancer did not slow him down, he had his leg restructred he came back to work. My captian suffered a stroke on duty last June. He was not allowed to come back to work with the condition of his health. He started to complain after he retired that he didnt have anything to do. Finally after a year of being off of the job, he has started to find some activites outside of the fire dept.

Everyone has to have some sort of activity or a hobby to keep them sane. Lord knows my former captains hobby was his life. The fire dept

Comment

To me the fire service is a way of life. I'm out to provide a service that is forever changing. So I spend almost all of my time learning new things and trying to further my career, for I have high hopes and aspirations for my job. I'm also young and single, so I guess all that family stuff will come later, but for now the only thing I think about is the fire service and how I will impact it in my area with my dreams. Don't get me wrong I do still have a life outside of my job. It's just that my desire to succeed at my job diminish the amount of time I have for other things.

UGOWEGO ! WORDS TO LIVE BY!

Comment

I feel that Firefighting is a way of life. I am married with two kids. Right now I am just a volunteer, but I want to make the fire service my career. I feel that helping others is one of the best feelings, and to do it for a living would be so rewarding. I just feel better about myself knowing that I have helped others when I can.
                                K.A. Dempsey
                                [email protected]
                                "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X