Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is this, Where are you FireMEN not paying attention? At the hall when you leave for the call or on the fire scene? I guess that it wouldn't bother me because really it's only a before and after thing. At the scene, your guys should know better and if they don't, then maybe it's time to do some FF survival training!

Just a thought!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

Give the Lady some respect as you would your wifes, sisters and girl friends and show her the right training to be a firefighter and let her become a firefighter instead of a sex object. She might be the one to save your life some day. More than likely that is what she wants.
      That is just my opinion. Larry

Comment

Despite numerous mental pictures and a testosterone rush, I will address this professionally.

I disagree with this being a safety issue to her. When I was in California, we wore our bunkers with only shorts underneath. If you ever get enough heat transferred through your "compliant" gear to melt or degrade your clothes, you're in deep doo-doo.

With regard to public perception and professionalism, I will take issue with her choice of clothing. Here in (ocasionaly) sunny Michigan, the rule is bunkers or jump suits for any call. No shorts, tank top, sleevless or otherwise offensive clothing at a scene. Once you're back at the station, no big deal. I've worked with several attractive female firefighters. All have been professional and let us guess what they REALLY looked like.

I hope you don't lose a dedicated volunteer over this issue. A private, professional and tactful talking to can go a long way.

Good Luck.

Joe

Comment

See if she has any co-workers that would want to volunteer

Comment

Man, I can't belive what I'm reading!
            This is the fire service not a fasion show!
            If you must have females on the job (and I don't condone it at all) then make them get dressed before they come to the fire house!!!
            The next thing you will be worring about is if she gets pregnant or not and you and ol Ronnie Few from DC will be compairing notes.Females can't do half the job men can do anyway so why on this earth would we spend so much time worring about the s**t they do or don't do!
            Get rid of her if she is a problemshe has a place too. Just not in the firehouse!

Comment

Barney Vinton I disagrea with you this a small problem its obvious that she is someone who is interested in being active and train as well. It's just a matter of making a slight change in atire to help keep the peace or at least try to. She could prove to be a great assat when it comes to fund raisers. She could have a couple of her co workers come to the station and help with a car wash I'm sure they would get a great responce for that or if they do a carnival they could have a couple of the ladies pose with for pictures with people for a fee. I've seen this done at the Harisburg Expo the one year with the Budwiser Girls. As long as it's done in a tasteful manner and people see this it should go good.

Comment

As a instructor I have had the pleasure of traveling around New England where I have met and worked with some very capable women in the Fire Service.Anyone who is so narrow minded to believe that Firefighting is a Man's only venue needs to go out and get a reality check.All my students have to pass the same standards and I've found male slackers in as big a quantity as women who couldn't or wouldn't meet the standard.If they don't meet it,they don't advance to round two,case closed.We have close to 25% women in our organization and 0 problems.T.C.

Comment

Capt 12--...has anyone tactly taken this capable woman aside and explained the situation? As a female who also fights fire, non of us time to think about clothing on our teammates, but distractions could happen. It's up to all of us to be professional and have respect for the image we represent. Since she cares enough to show up and do the work, she'll surely understand that maybe the equivilent would be her male teammates fighting fire in a jockstrap. Or, is she trying to keep from getting overheated??? by wearing less layers? Just a thought.

Comment

SO let me get this straight, she responds to calls in her "WORK UNIFORM" and puts on her bunkers to go out like everyone else? What's the issue? Who is gonna see except an EMS worker in the event of injury. Realy guys there are worse things going on than this. Hey, as long as she is capable and loves the job who in their right mind would turn her, or anybody away?

Comment

Hot darn where is Jake when ya really need a proffesional opinion on a touchy subjct!

Comment

Hey Ltstick I like the way you think. maybe they could have a nude car wash at the firehouse. Boy that would raise some money!!! I could help them rinse the sponges after>
                        Get real this girl is trouble from the start if she can't seperate the firehouse from the strip joint she is trouble and should be looking in from out!
                        I hope it's not your marrage she screws up because she can't controll herself!
                        some of my thoughts may be a bit old fashond but I can asure you I have been doing the job for quite a while as a volunteer and career firefighter and i have yet to meet a woman who can do this job!
                        even if she is half nude under her bunkers.
                        TROUBLE!!!!!

Comment

You know I have to get in on this one...

Having once worked as a body guard for an exotic dancer, I learned that it is exactly what some have said here.. it is her JOB. Would there be the same complaints if one of your male firefighters who is in excellent physical condition shows up in swimming trunks? If so, the administration needs to make an across the board dress code for response attire. But keep in mind men, that will probably end up requiring YOU to wear a shirt and pants to every call. You can't write a policy based upon gender in regards to how one dresses. That is a civil rights issue.

My guess is that the real problem is the unhappy wives more than the happy men. If you could convince the wives to understand that this female firefighter is working at a JOB like everyone else, and is not trying to seduce their husbands, the problem would likely go away. Unfortunately, the human animal doesn't seem to work that way, so there lies the dilemma.

I also have to commend the club she works for if they allow her to leave her job to respond to fire calls. I would not be surprised to learn that she has to pay the club a "fine" when she does this which further illustrates the dedication she has toward the Fire Service.
                          Richard Nester
                          Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

I must admit that I ensure that all my crew dress to protect themselves, just in case. If you allow your crew to wear what ever they like under their kit then you can not moan about this young lady wearing what ever she likes. If it is a problem then change the rules and bring all personnel up to the same standard. Still, if I am pasing through your area can I join in on a call.
                            Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
                            www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

Comment

Just look at the bright side, I'm sure there is more than one. Your dept, shouldn't have to many problems getting new volunteers with her around and I'll bet that the number of personal responsing to call is up.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: BG204 ]

Comment

My dept. had policies concerning what we could wear on a scene (sometimes full bunkers, sometimes w/o coat, etc.) We were required to be "presentable" so as to reflect positively to the public. That meant if you were wearing a "big johnson" t-shirt, you better keep your bunker coat fastened, even if it was 95 degrees out. Tough.

We had one member who was a doctor - one day we caught a structure during the day, and had a low response. When they 2nd toned for manpower, he decided to leave his office and respond (as he sometimes did). But he was wearing a very nice suit. He'd taken off his jacket and left it in the car, and his tie. Once at the station, he stripped off his trousers and stepped into his bunker pants/boots. He was polite enough to warn one of our female members before he did this.

After that call, he lobbied for everyone to be issued jumpsuits (which we got) for times when you didn't want to mess up your "good" clothes, weren't properly attired, or were coming from bed. The only time someone might not be "properly" attired after that was while they were "changing".

Now, if the guys at the station can get past her coming in 1/2 dressed, and possibly taking off whatever "costume" she may have on before donning the jumpsuit, then they've got a problem (not her - the guys!). Once she's in a jumpsuit or bunker gear, no one else need ever know what's underneath.

But if she doesn't have the jumpsuit or a uniform shirt, then she better not take her coat off on scene (could be bad for rehab!?!)

Then again, we had several female members that would not be wearing bras (especially during night calls). It never bothered us, but it sure got some looks when they'd take their coats of to rehab and be wearing sweat soaked t-shirts. Most of them appreciated the jumpsuit idea, too, since the t-shirt was typically what they grabbed to make a late night run.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X