This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFShooty -

FDNY now issues Morning Pride Ben IIs, which do have the general "look" of the N5s, but they're cheaper.

Members of the FDNY are still allowed to wear the leathers...they just have to buy their own now. The city won't fund 'em anymore.

Someone else posted that most departments in the Northeast still wear the leathers. My impression is that that is pretty much correct, big and small department. Many of the departments around my way (Bucks County, PA) that I have some knowledge of allow members to wear the N5A w/Bourkes if *they* buy it, and if they provide compliant eye protection (i.e. goggles, etc.). I don't know of any around here that still issue leather, although I could be wrong.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

N5 here. : )
      John Williams
      NRFF1
      City of Clairton
      Fire / EMS

Comment

Glad to see alot of the old leathers still seeing fire.

Comment

Aside from tradition are there any valid measure of improved protection from a leather vs plastic. Re: Carins Houston vs Carins 1010
          The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

Comment

my county is one of the smallest counties in NY state (Yates Co) and i would feel confidant in saying that about 25% of the firefighters are wearing leathers of one style or another, pre impact cap and current.
            Definately big here on the leathers. For those guys who cant afford it thier buying 1010s, if you come home with anything else your asking to get ridiculed. only 1 guy i know of has bought a conway.

as for FDNY they are using the Ben Plus II,
            we looked at them. We had a dealer come down with some and the guys were definately not impressed with them. The styling and mold just doesnt look right for some reason.

Comment

Leather Forever here Baby !!!
              Proud IAFF member since 1992.

Comment

Port Jefferson (NY) still has them, but I hear they're getting new helmets soon. I don't know what kind.
                "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

I wear a Sam Houston I bought about 2 years ago. Best investment I ever made. I left in the ratchet system and have bourkes on it. I also keep a set of goggles in my pocket for MVA's

Comment

While we're at it....let's go back to horses and steam pumpers. They really look cool, too.

Comment

Good idea D', sounds like you should shovel the bay.

Comment

In my home dept. there are about 9of us that have them...the real deal carines N5A not that houston, paul conway or 1010..The only way to go is NEW YORKERS! All but 1 person out of my station where i bunk owns a new yorker. and more than half out of the main station own 1...they are the only way to go....I leave you with 3 WORDS...
                        LEATHER FOR EVER
                        stay safe...
                        biv

Comment

FF forever,keep your goggles real handy 'cause BLS is handing out megafines for just bourkes.FFbiv2335 Just what differences do you think there is between a N6A Houston and a N5A New Yorker?Outside of one is NFPA compliant and one isn't?You guess which one?T.C.

Comment

there is really no diff. between the 2, just an opinon..as for the standards...one of the big ones are the bourqes and some of the skull protection...new yorkers are more tradition...
                            stay safe...
                            biv

Comment

Just to clarify,

Bourke Sheilds are NOT the reason an N5A isn't NFPA compliant, the difference is the N5A is missing a puncture resistant layer that is found in the N6A, You could mount a faceshield on the N5A, but aside from looking gay you haven't done a damn thing to make it approved. You could even have an N6A (Sam Huston) with bourkes, as long as you have goggles too. Hope that helps.

-Nick

Comment

being fairly new to the fire service (3 years) i loved the traditional look of the 1010 style helmets, our chief hates them, we are issued Cairns 660's (aka tupperware, salad bowls) and they are a POS helmet, i just don't feel quite as protected with one, not to mention if you get water running down your neck the flash hood and turtle neck of your gear won't do squat to protect from steam burns. SO i decided to buy a traditional helmet and chose to go with leather since it will last forever. I went with the Paul Conway American Heritage with face shield (for now)

case in point fought a training fire on one friday with the salad bowl, got steam burns when we were fighting a fire in the ceiling and the water was actually being channeled down my neck by the 660

the next monday we did a similar training and we fought a hellacious garage fire that was in the attic from below, i was wearing my leather this time and of the 6 of us in the garage i was the ONLY one without steam burns down my neck... the traditional helmet actually channeled the water away from my neck....

not to mention the great looks, the superior protection it offers but it's about heritage and tradition that I feel is dying in the area i'm in... 2 of us on our dept wear leather and we can't wear them on the clock, only on volunteer time... don't ask why!!!
                                Shevais M. Shrum
                                Western Wake Fire Rescue

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...