X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larry cook
    replied
    Thanks every one for the encouragement, i ain't giving up yet. I work at a small airport and am now thinking about taking flying lessons. i wonder how them fires will look from the wild blue yonder. Larry

Leave a comment:

• 1261Truckie
    replied
    Larry,
    Before I add my "pearls of wisdom", I gotta address "HUFF 317"....It was fun pulling the steamer, but we had to watch out for leaks from the leather buckets.

I'm 51 and can honestly say "you're only as old as you feel" Some days I feel 20 and some days 104. It comes and goes. My fiancee introduces me as fifty-something going on 15. The game is still fun, sure it takes a couple of days to recover from a "good job", but I'm not ready to "hang em up" just yet.
    Everyone who said you have a great amount of experience to pass along is absolutely right. All the gang can benefit from your experience just like they will benefit when you are humping hose or pulling ceilings beside them. As an example, a rookie and myself were ordered to pull a ceiling in a 12 X 12 room the other day. I learned my truck work in Brooklyn N.Y., so there is no finesse in how I do it. The rookie, on the other hand, wanted to make nice neat little holes with the pike pole and remove the ceiling a neat piece at a time. Guess who had most of the ceiling down first?
    Enjoy your time on "the job" and don't worry about age, I guarantee you will be the only one who does worry. I may have a lot of gray in my mustache (it kinda looks a squirrel under my nose), but there's a lot of fire duty left in this "old" body.
    BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
    Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Leave a comment:

• 1261Truckie
    replied
    Larry,
    Before I add my "pearls of wisdom", I gotta address "HUFF 317"....It was fun pulling the steamer, but we had to watch out for leaks from the leather buckets.

I'm 51 and can honestly say "you're only as old as you feel" Some days I feel 20 and some days 104. It comes and goes. My fiancee introduces me as fifty-something going on 15. The game is still fun, sure it takes a couple of days to recover from a "good job", but I'm not ready to "hang em up" just yet.
    Everyone who said you have a great amount of experience to pass along is absolutely right. All the gang can benefit from your experience just like they will benefit when you are humping hose or pulling ceilings beside them. As an example, a rookie and myself were ordered to pull a ceiling in a 12 X 12 room the other day. I learned my truck work in Brooklyn N.Y., so there is no finesse in how I do it. The rookie, on the other hand, wanted to make nice neat little holes with the pike pole and remove the ceiling a neat piece at a time. Guess who had most of the ceiling down first?
    Enjoy your time on "the job" and don't worry about age, I guarantee you will be the only one who does worry. I may have a lot of gray in my mustache (it kinda looks a squirrel under my nose), but there's a lot of fire duty left in this "old" body.
    BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
    Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Leave a comment:

• huff317
    replied
    Larry
    Way to go pard....
    Just one question.
    What was it like pulling those steamers when the horses got tired?

Leave a comment:

• Diane
    replied
    Larry, by no means, is your time up! At our last dept. meeting we had a birthday cake for one of our members who turned 90! Now, he's not running into burning buildings (if we ever got a fire), but he's there cooking and polishing. I'd say more than 1/2 (probably closed to 2/3) of our guys are over 50 or pretty close to 50! There's plenty for you to do.......

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    bgfdchick....thanks for the votes of confidence...I am 43 and just joined a VFD here in Florida after being out of it for 2 years....28 active years before that...(yes...at that time no laws prohibited it and we joined at 13 and trained for 3 yrs.

50???????? In my old department we had a guy that has been a member there since....well....since WAY BACK and actually was given a clean bill of health and was one our most active drivers until he was almost 70. He is still there.,.....doing other stuff. I looked up to him and others with the age for advice and mentoring....

So larry.....show them young whippersnappers how to fight some fire....you go boy!

Leave a comment:

• boncrechief@yahoo.com
    replied
    In my little part of the world if all the firefighters who are 50 or older were to quit we would have to close the doors. Just as our brothers have said , your knowledge could be the difference in one of these younger firefighters living or dying. Somebody has to teach and lead them. I have a lot of younger strong and bold members who need the wisdom and moderation of an older more experienced firefighter. I'd be wiling to bet that your department does to.

Leave a comment:

• hctrouble25
    replied
    ha! 50 old? No way. I am not quite 30 yet - a mere few months away though - and somedays I think I am getting too old. Especially with the junior ffs at 16 and young active members who are 18-20 and still built like brick s*it houses. Hey, it is all relative. I have learned a lot from the older members on my department and some of them are now in their 80s and they still contribute to our firehouse. Stick in there as long as you feel comfortable! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Ford45
    replied
    hey, man, don't feel old yet! my old man's over 50, he's a paid lieutenant, a dep chief at a steel mill and a volly for two fire depts. i learned more than i'll ever realize from him and am still learning. we have a guy who's 77 and still fightin fire. not interior, but he sure as hell know what he's doin on the fire ground. just think, if you hang up your boots and helmet now, who's gonna keep the young smart ***es like me in check, huh?? but on the other hand, and most importantly, do what YOU think is best. stay cool. peace!!

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    Larry,

Welcome to our jurasic period

Just remeber this, we may be dinosaurs but we're talented dinosaurs. Just remember, don't let the tail get in your way.

Someone has to teach these youngsters and the dinosaurs have the knowledge and experience to do just that.

Right now the only way I'm giving up is if they carry me out feet first. Although I hope they tuck my tail in first.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Leave a comment:

• HVFD32
    replied
    45 man and loving it. We are so much wiser. The young guys can out pull and climb, but watch em when the going gets real hot!

Teach em well. Your omly as old as you want to be!!

Stay low...Stay safe

Leave a comment:

• Plug-Ugly
    replied
    Remember the old bull, young bull story!

An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hilltop overlooking a pasture full of cows. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and screw one of those cows." The old bull says, "Let's just walk down there and screw them all."

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Plug-Ugly ]

Leave a comment:

• rds3604
    replied
    Hell 50 isn't old, Our dept has a few members over 50 our oldest member is in their 70's. Our chief engineer is over 50 and I gotta tell ya, I'd much rather he be operating the pump when I'm inside then some new kid who just got the hang of drafting and just yesterday realized "water hammer" is a term not a tool. Our chief is around 50, THAT'S WHY HE'S CHIEF. We often have people well over 50 joining just 'cause they want to do fire police. HAVE A GREAT BIRTHDAY and if you ever do get "old" then worry about giving it up, 'til then enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• xchief2
    replied
    shoot! I was going to tell you that your only getting started but they already informed you of that. Keep going, MY motto is kicking *** and taking names. Happy Birthday! Like a timex watch we keep going and going,going, going,!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• FF's SignfOthr
    replied
    Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things.
    Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshman.

Here is this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982.
    They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
    They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
    Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
    There has been only one Pope.
    They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
    They have never feared a nuclear war.
    Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
    They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
    Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
    The expression "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
    They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
    They may have never heard of an 8 track.
    The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
    As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.
    They have always had an answering machine.
    Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.
    They have always had cable.
    There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA was.
    They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
    They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial.

Feeling old Yet? There's more:
    They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
    Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
    Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
    They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
    Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
    They have never seen Larry Bird play.
    They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
    The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.
    They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
    They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
    They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
    They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!".
    They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
    The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew.

Michael Jackson has always been white.
    Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not rock bands.
    McDonalds never came in styrofoam containers.
    There has always been MTV.
    They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X