X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry
    Way to go pard....
    Just one question.
    What was it like pulling those steamers when the horses got tired?
    Oklahoma Bound!

Comment

Larry,
      Before I add my "pearls of wisdom", I gotta address "HUFF 317"....It was fun pulling the steamer, but we had to watch out for leaks from the leather buckets.

I'm 51 and can honestly say "you're only as old as you feel" Some days I feel 20 and some days 104. It comes and goes. My fiancee introduces me as fifty-something going on 15. The game is still fun, sure it takes a couple of days to recover from a "good job", but I'm not ready to "hang em up" just yet.
      Everyone who said you have a great amount of experience to pass along is absolutely right. All the gang can benefit from your experience just like they will benefit when you are humping hose or pulling ceilings beside them. As an example, a rookie and myself were ordered to pull a ceiling in a 12 X 12 room the other day. I learned my truck work in Brooklyn N.Y., so there is no finesse in how I do it. The rookie, on the other hand, wanted to make nice neat little holes with the pike pole and remove the ceiling a neat piece at a time. Guess who had most of the ceiling down first?
      Enjoy your time on "the job" and don't worry about age, I guarantee you will be the only one who does worry. I may have a lot of gray in my mustache (it kinda looks a squirrel under my nose), but there's a lot of fire duty left in this "old" body.
      BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
      Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Larry,
        Before I add my "pearls of wisdom", I gotta address "HUFF 317"....It was fun pulling the steamer, but we had to watch out for leaks from the leather buckets.

I'm 51 and can honestly say "you're only as old as you feel" Some days I feel 20 and some days 104. It comes and goes. My fiancee introduces me as fifty-something going on 15. The game is still fun, sure it takes a couple of days to recover from a "good job", but I'm not ready to "hang em up" just yet.
        Everyone who said you have a great amount of experience to pass along is absolutely right. All the gang can benefit from your experience just like they will benefit when you are humping hose or pulling ceilings beside them. As an example, a rookie and myself were ordered to pull a ceiling in a 12 X 12 room the other day. I learned my truck work in Brooklyn N.Y., so there is no finesse in how I do it. The rookie, on the other hand, wanted to make nice neat little holes with the pike pole and remove the ceiling a neat piece at a time. Guess who had most of the ceiling down first?
        Enjoy your time on "the job" and don't worry about age, I guarantee you will be the only one who does worry. I may have a lot of gray in my mustache (it kinda looks a squirrel under my nose), but there's a lot of fire duty left in this "old" body.
        BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
        Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Thanks every one for the encouragement, i ain't giving up yet. I work at a small airport and am now thinking about taking flying lessons. i wonder how them fires will look from the wild blue yonder. Larry

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X