X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FyredUp
    replied
    Definately pre-1988,

Used a lot of different kinds of nozzles. I personally like the pistol grip. I believe that just like any other tool we use, proper technique must be taught for its use. You are correct that if the technique gets sloppy the nozzle will slide back under the arm. But that also will happen with a nozzle will out a pistol grip if technique is bad.

The lines I like the pistol grip on are the mid-range lines 1 3/4 and 2 inch. I don't like them on the 2 1/2" lines. With 2 1/2" line I prefer just the nozzle and shut-off.

Basically, become proficient with what you are assigned to use. The nice thing about a pistol grip line is if you want to you can slide your hands back on the hose and use it as if the pistol grip wasn't there.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

Leave a comment:

• jmichael
    replied
    We have them but I never use them. Grab the hose a few feet behind the bale, gives you a good working length and the ability to whip it around in front of you. I never could see how to use a pistol grip when I was crawling, but i know it is done by some.

Leave a comment:

• PFD_66
    replied
    Havent seen a 1.5 or 1.75 nozzle around here without a pistol grip for a while now. As the old ones wore out the dept just replaced them with the pistol grip ones. So far I have had pretty good luck with them. I always thought they worked well during advancing, espesially a hot,narrow hallway, you can crawl forward and lock your elbow against the floor and move up. Kinda hard to explain, but most of you can picture what I am talking about. The big thing is correct use of the nossel, poor technique with any nossle will make life hard for you and your crew.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: PFD_66 ]

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    I have to agree with E229lt on this one. Tried using a pistol grip a few years back and really disliked it. I feel that it gives you less control and maneuverability, especially in tighter spaces such as hallways and stairwells leading to attics. I feel they tend to end up under your arm rather than in front where it belongs. Your right Lt. that the hip works the best. Yes I am pre 1988, but then again I'm a dinosaur to some, but my tail never gets in the way.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Leave a comment:

• joejoe33
    replied
    If you ever used the old Akron Turbojet Nozzles you can really appreciate the pistol grip handled TFT nozzle technology we have now. I like the pistol grip TFT nozzles our dept.uses. I've used both types of nozzles and my personal preference is for the pistol grip. But, hey this is America. That's why we have Dodge, Chevy, and Fords. Variety.

joejoe33

These statements and opinions are mine and do not represent the organization I am affiliated with or IAFF Local 3358

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    Blackie,
    There's only carnage once someone takes a topic off thread. So far this has gone well.
    It's about 55/45 with an edge to the pistol grip.

I'll place the pistol grips arrival on the scene of firefighting, (in real quantity) at about 1988. Sure they were around before that but not in force.

How many of the past/future posters are pre'88?

Leave a comment:

• Truck36CAPT
    Guest replied
    I've never been a pistol grip fan. I'm one of those guys who prefers the nozzle out front and the pistol grip interferes with that. Of course I'm not exactly on the nozzle much anymore (bad thing about being a captain) and since we have two preconnects with and one without I let the nozzleman have his pick.

Leave a comment:

• BLACKSHEEP-1
    Guest replied
    Oh sure, after the carnage in "is this stream effective" someone just had to bring up pistol grips. It has been my experience (here we go again) that if your king kong ,pistol grips work ok. But that handle just begs to be used, and when you have your 100lb firefighter with limited upper body strength try to use it, it just doesn't work out. My engine uses a couple of the "bronx bazookas" and they work out well. Since they don't have any handles they work well in hallways, and they practically force the nozzle person to use correct nozzle discipline. I've seen 2-1/2 nozzles with pistol grips and I'll be honest I never could understand why they were there except to drive up the bid price. All of our 1-1/2 nozzles use pistol grips because I got tired of arguing, but I still see that bale sneeking back under the armpit on a lot of guys. There it is, my opinion, go ahead, start butchering it!!!!
    OK, here's a pistol grip war story. My attack crew (you know, the one guy in the back seat) and I were in a house fire going down the hall, it was real smokey and you couldn't see a thing. Well the line got hung up somewhere back in the living room. About this time one of my rescue guys unscrewed the line so the guy on the nozzle, who wasn't exactly ON the nozzle could pull the hose forward and towards me. I was a little ahead of the nozzle trying to see if someone was in the next room. Well anyway, this friggen pistol grip goes between me and my low pressure hose (unknown to me), and when he, me, or us, made our next move, it took my mask right off. Boy that bit the big burrito. Thank God for smoke diver's school! I can laugh about it now, but I was swearing about it then!

[This message has been edited by BLACKSHEEP-1 (edited 06-27-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• mamaluke
    Guest replied
    Range of motion and nozzle tip maneuverability is key, and I think that is best achieved without the pistol grip.

Leave a comment:

• lt phil hoffman
    Guest replied
    E229lt

ok i agree with what your saying, if your alone on the hose line. but if your working with a hose team and your partner is helping like he should, the pistol grip allows more control of the nozzel by the nozzel man.

------------------
    Lt Hoffman
    Pensacola Fire Dept.
    local 707

Leave a comment:

• ARFF2/66
    Guest replied
    We have had pistol grip nozzles for about 8 years and have not had any problems with handling them. I personally like them better than the typical nozzle. When I started 9 years ago we had Santa Rosa nozzles and it seemed like it beat you to death. But when we train we make sure our people understand how to effectivley use the nozzle. Good Post, very interesting input by all.

Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• ddvfd
    Guest replied
    I have been an active member for alittle over 2 years now, and from being on nozzle most of the time, i find that a pistol grip is alot easier to manuever and handle, the straight nozzles take more control, whereas the pistol grip is great to hold on to and to use
    just my thoughts
    ak

Leave a comment:

• PA Volunteer
    Guest replied
    This may be the best post yet on Firehouse.com. I've actually learned something. It has always just been accepted to use the pistol grip in our company and be done w/ it. I can see now though, after reading and understanding everyone's posts, that a line w/out a pistol grip definitely has its advantages. Next time I'll pull a line w/out the pistol grip (I think there's one) or I'll just ignore it. Great Post E229lt!

Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• bgfdchick
    Guest replied
    I like having the pistol grip, although I don't use it primarily to hold the line. I prefer to be about 4-5 inches behind the grip to have a little more flexibility with the tip of the nozzle.

However, I like the grip, particularly when starting the line. It keeps me from losing the line when you get that initial "kick" when you start your stream.

Leave a comment:

• XXLdogg
    Guest replied
    Don't like them - and I'm glad they break or fall off.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X