Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, thanks for all of the replys. Several were very imformative.

First of all, let me set the record straight by stating for the most part, I don't care about what our departments title is. We have a job to do and we do it. The reason for this question is this, when applying for grants and such it is unclear to me what we actually are.

The funding we receive is a stipend for gas and such. I have ruined many new $60 shirts on structure fires. This was a way for our town to compensate for these things. I definately do not do it for the money, we do not run that many calls so a man would starve to death trying to survive on it.

To answer some of the statements about false alarms, etc. it has not been an issue and hopefully will continue. I have been a member for around 6 years now and have never had the first thought of anyone doing this.

We are not required to respond to calls. For this reason we consider ourselves volunteers. We are provided PPE, so the arguement OSHA has would retract the last statement.

Never the less, for pay or not, I will be there when the alarm goes out, night or day, so long as I am not out earning my "normal" living.

This was not intended to cause a heated arguement, just wanted to know what others in the same situation classified themselves.
    Running less than 150 calls per year, and only making 80% of them, I am definately not in it for the money. Most of the money goes back into the firehouse anyway. Most of us donate the money back if not by check with the things we buy.

Don't we do it 'cause we love it? I do!!

Peace my brothers, and be safe out there!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X