This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes or Sayings

Just wondering if any of you guys have any quotes or meaningful sayings about the job that has stuck with you throughout the years. I am writing a specch, and looking for a good opening and closing line.

Thanks

Try this one on for size

I have no ambition in this world but one
    and that is to be a fireman.
    The position may in the eyes of some
    appear to be a lowly one;
    But those who know the work
    which a fireman has to do
    believe his is a noble calling.
    Our proudest moment is to save...lives.
    Under the impulse of such thoughts
    the nobility of the occupation
    thrills us and stimulates us
    to deeds of daring
    even of supreme sacrifice.

Edward F. Croker
    Chief of Department
    FDNY
    1899-1911

------------------
    ...James
    [email protected]
    Lieutenant / Training Officer
    Olney - Walluski Fire District # 35 (Oregon)

Comment

"NEVER TRUST A SMILING DOG"

Comment

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups.

Comment

"They don't pay for what I do, they pay me for what I am willing to do."

Comment

It may or may not be appropriate for your audience but one of my favorites is:

"Nobody ever called the Fire Dept. because they did something smart!"

[This message has been edited by WTFDFF10 (edited 06-05-2001).]

Comment

If you're going to be speaking to firefighters why not start out with a funny story to break the ice and warm the room:

Two little boys lived next door to a firehouse. The older boy, Johnny was almost 6 years old and the younger one, Billy was just 3. The older boy was playing so loud and rough that his Mom sent him next door by the firefighters to get him out of her hair. He was there all afternoon, and came home just in time for dinner.

When Johnny walked in the house his Mom told him to put away the toys. Johnny looked at her and said, "Have Billy do it. He's the probie here!"

When you're done close with another story:

Firefighters always love to help; and they're known for usually giving really great advice. A woman moved North from the hot steamy South and while driving in her very first snow storm she skidded off the road right in front of the fire station and got stuck in a snowbank.

The firefighters went outside and pushed her free, and told her that she would be fine if she just followed a snow plow.

Just then a plow passed by and the woman followed it. After a quite while the snow plow driver noticed the woman was following him everywhere he went so he stopped, got out and walked back to ask her why.

She explained what the firefighters said, and the driver thought it was good advice, but then he said, "Well, I'm done here at the K-Mart, I'm on my way to do the Sears lot now."

Comment

Harry Carter once gave a talk at our department and said one line that I will always remember . . . .

"Never spend a life to save a building"

If you use it in your speach please be sure to give him credit.

Comment

james35's entry is actually a shortened down version of Chief Croker's famous speech. Here it is in it's entirety. I have it on a piece of paper hanging in my locker.

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which a fireman has to believe his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, 'Nothing can be destroyed except by fire.' We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world, which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all, our proudest moment is to save lives of men- the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society."

This was a part of a speech given to a graduating FDNY proby class, circa 1905.

------------------
                  "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

Not sure you could use this for your speech, but we have it on a sign at our station. "The Will To Do, The Soul To Dare." Good Luck with the speech.

Comment

I have 2 that come to mind:
                      "AMATUERS TRAIN UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT, PROFESSIONALS TRAIN UNTIL THEY CAN'T GET IT WRONG"

and

" THANK GOD FOR STUPIDITY, IF IT WEREN'T FOR STUPID PEOPLE, WE WOULD BE OUT OF A JOB"

------------------
                      Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

Comment

You Light it I fight it
                        Never Fear Ems Is Here
                        When in Doubt call em out

------------------
                        Firefighter C.M. Baker

Comment

All that is not given is lost.

I've never been able to find who originally said it.

Comment

One that is a traditional saying at my department is "Well, it was a good idea, it just wasn't a great idea." (Usually said after somebody's brainstorm backfires!)

In fact, I just used it yesterday when we broke the reserve Snorkel in training. (too long of a story for now, but anybody who's ever used an old-as-hell reserve rig for a training drill can probably relate!)

Comment

My very favorite:

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the willingness to proceed in spite of it"

I can't tell you where I got it, but I think it exemplifies firefighters everywhere, whether vollies or paid.

Good Luck with your speech!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X