Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have the Scott ap 50's, We used to use the 2a's and 2.2's It was my understanding that on the 2a's the shoulder straps took all the weight and the waist strap was basically useless. However on the wire framed 2.2's and the new ap 50's the weight is spread out, putting most of the weight on the hips. I keep most of my stuff in my pants pockets and take my gloves out before buckling the waist strap. I also keep the waist strap tight and the shoulder slightly loose to make it easier to mover my upper body in things such as pulling ceilings and walls and other activities. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong just my observations and experiences.

-Nick

Comment

I almost always strap the waist. I wear my pack low and let it ride my rear-end. 1) It saves my back and 2) It doesn't prevent me looking straight up because of my helmet hitting the bottle.

However, I sometimes don't strap the waist. Usually it is a BS call or gas leak and I discover that some jacka** pulled the straps in all the way and they are twisted. Usually when that happens, I don't waste my time with them till afterwards when I am reservicing my pack. However, I will fix them beforehand if it is a structure fire.

Comment

I always wear my waist strap. I also keep it tight and my shoulder ones just a little loose, it keeps the weight on my hips and my shoulders don't get as tired. Plus I hate it when I try to do something and the pack keeps shifting on my back, throws off my balance big time. Plus, if you check into it, there's the liability reason, all manufacturers of s.c.b.a. instruct you to wear your waist strap in their user instructions. If something goes wrong and you're not wearing it, you're s.o.l.
        Oh, someone asked why the F.D.N.Y. doesn't wear there's. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is because everyone wears a rope harness under their gear. For rappelling or belay type rope rescues, also for personal escape. I think that's why they do it. But there again I have seen it first hand in Chicago as well. Whichever you decide to do, just be careful. God bless and stay safe.
        Randall Guntrum FF/EMT

If lights, siren and air horns aren't enough to attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Comment

I used to let mine hang until a strap got entangled in a radiator under the window we were trying to get out (and onto a ladder). That incident caused us to mandate the buckling of waist straps, to get bailout ropes, and appropriate training on them. I think the bailout rope works best if the SCBA waist strap is buckled because it prevents the rope from riding up between your back and SCBA. Seems like others here have had bad luck getting their open straps caught - I hope no one was hurt.

Comment

We have this one guy who never wears his waist strap. His claim is that if his pack gets caught that he wants to be able to free himself from it. Personally, I think that the biggest BS in the world and he is just trying to be cool

Comment

The people talking about the rit are on the right trail. The main reason as a fast/rit member that I prefer the straps properly secured is for the need to pull someone out by the straps. It is much easier to grab a strap than a handfull of jacket. If the straps are on properly there is little chance of slipping out. One method of using straps for draging is, take the waist strap and undo it now place one behind a leg and thru and the other thru the front and buckle not comfortable but you will not lose that person. Also if using shoulder straps grab, tighten and double up in your hand. I'm sure these things aren't there just for looks. I just can't seem to find a valid reason not to wear them.

Comment

Our company policy, taught from Day 1 is to wear your waist belt. Some guys don't want to wear them, for whatever reason, and it's up to their crew's officer to say anything. (Unless Chief sees them!) Personally, I've always worn mine, having found during my Army time that carrying the weight of my pack on the hips makes my shoulders a whole lot happier! Plus, it allows me to keep my shoulder straps loose, so that if (heaven forbid!) somebody has to drag my unhappy butt outside for some reason, they can get their gloved hand in there to get a good hold.

------------------
                HazMat
                ---
                We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!
                ---
                Disclaimer:
                These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.
                ---
                Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try

Comment

I always wear mine and much to my dismay, most others don't. I too became a believer after going through a "Saving Our Own" seminar. Another reason to have it buckled is to prevent the ends from swinging freely and damaging items in homes and elsewhere. Take care and be safe.

------------------
                  Phil Clinard
                  Laurel VFD
                  Prince George's Co Sta 10
                  Laurel, MD
                  www.laurelvfd.org

Comment

About three years ago I went from never using the waist strap to now, I almost always wear it - sometimes I get in a hurry or just forget, old habits...

Why the change? I took a couple of good "Save our Own" classes, including one by Dan Noonan that opened my eyes, and learned that it really makes removing a downed fireman a lot easier.

Once I started wearing the waist strap and loosening up the shoulder straps a little, I found it also makes it easier to do anything using the arms and shoulders - moving the nozzle, pulling a line, hooking ceiling, etc. A nice little bonus.

DTRT-PTB

[This message has been edited by NozzleHog (edited 06-06-2001).]

Comment

I always use my waist strap, for the reasons that everyone else gave. Also sometimes, I clip my flashlight (super saber light) to the strap when I'm not using the light. The strap that I always forget to use is the chest strap. The department where I started had removed them from the harness of most of the packs for whatever reason, and I got used to not having it. Now, The packs do have the strap, but out of habit, I usually forget to hook it up. Does anyone else have this problem, or even use the chest strap?
                      BTW- this is on MSA packs, my experience with Scott, or the other brands is limited, so I don't know how many if any of their packs even have chest straps.

[This message has been edited by cfr3504 (edited 06-06-2001).]

Comment

Well good question??? I try to buckle it up but sometimes I don't, I do keep things in the coat pocket that are sometime hard to get out, but guess if I weren't as lazy I could unbuckle and get the things out then buckle back up agian. I assume it was put on for a reason so we really should be wearing them, RIGHT???? Good Luck and GOD SPEED>>>>

------------------
                        My opinion does not reflect on that of my career department, Michael Prescott
                        Capt./EMT-B

Comment

when i first got on i never used the waist straps (big and dumb, full of **** and vinegar). as i got older i realized that they kept the weight off my shoulders and made it easier for me to do my job so i always do it now.

Comment

I always wear my waist strap..that goes on first when I pack up on the truck. It is tight, and the shoulder straps are loose. I do have one advantage...I am female and I have hips so my hips help to carry the weight of the bottle so that my shoulders are not sore. I also keep the items I need to reach in my pants pockets or my radio pocket so that I am not trying to fit my hand between the waist strap to get into my coat pockets. Safety first I always say.

Comment

I always have the waist straps tight, leave the shoulder straps just loose enough for a gloved hand to fit under them.

The only things I carry in my coat pockets are my gloves and nomex hood; they come out when I pack up anyway. I have the bellow pockets on my pants to carry everything else in.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X