This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors during down time

My department has what I think is a reasonable policy on freind or family visiting after "busy" time. Our normal busy hours are 08:00 to 17:30. Basically we are not limited as long as we are not disturbing to other members. Our family can come eat supper or visit us as long as we have no work pending.
    At fire school we had an instructor from Sugar Land TX. Most of us was suprised when she said most dept. in that area allowed nothing like this and as well really had no down time. Just wondering what other depts did.
    BFD847

Here at my Station we can have visitors anytime as long as the hours are resonable. They can even ride along if they sign a liabilty wavior. Other than that its ok.

Comment

ride alongs? God, how I wish Youngstown would allow that. They wouldn't run a call without me As far as I know, Youngstown allows visitors like you said, during reasonable hours but almost no area departments allow ride-alongs.

------------------
      Joe
      Daysleeper47
      "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
      "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
      Youngstown Fire Department

Comment

Visitors are welcome anytime so long as they are not in the bunkroom (unless station Capt. decides it's becoming a problem).

Citizens in our city can ride out once in a 6 month period. Otherwise, we'd get those people that would ride out on every call.

Comment

As long as we're not busy training or something along that line, our station allows visitors and/or family to come and visit. The wives drop by with the kids to say, "Hello" to Daddy, or drop by with supper, etc. Walk-in tours happen occasionally, as both of our stations are in the middle of a residential areas, and those are not a problem either. (Helps recruiting occasionally! ;->)
          We allow ride-alongs as well, they just have to sign a liability waiver.

------------------
          HazMat
          ---
          We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!
          ---
          Disclaimer:
          These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.
          ---
          Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try

Comment

7:00 to 17:30 M-F is "work" time. After 17:30 and on weekends it's pretty much open as long as it's not bothering others. Sometimes we'll have a family night and bring all the families that want too together for burgers (we should probably do that once a month).

And only in the day room and on the apparatus floor.

[This message has been edited by mongofire_99 (edited 06-04-2001).]

Comment

BFD847

I assume your instructor from Sugarland was the former chief. I can't speak for their department, but in the City of Houston, which is almost abuts Sugarland, the only restriction we have is that visitors need to leave the fire station by 21:00 hours, which is the official time that we're allowed to go to bed.

Comment

We're the same as Houston. Anytime between 0800 and 2100. We have to get an officer's approval and make sure no one else is disrupted. No one goes upstairs to the dorm or locker rooms.

Comment

Work time is 0800-1630. After 1630, we do what we want. Go to bed, work on our cars, watch TV, cook, read, sleep, eat, **** each other off......Wives can and do come and eat with us, as do girlfiends, friends...We don't mind at all, as usually the wives or girlfriends will bring milkshakes or ice cream!!!!! No one in the dorm areas, and everyone leaves at a reasonable time. Usually major holidays (especially summer) families will come to the station for a LARGE meal or cookout. Memorial Day we had about 35 people...A real nice time!!!

You guys arent allowed to go to bed till 2100? Good grief!!! That would start a riot here!!!

------------------
                  "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

gah74
                    Recrute the people that would ride every day.

Comment

Capt 49-4

Negative...Some of the fire buffs around here are good people and some, in my opinion, are pretty damn weird and need a life. Besides, assuming they are eligible they can go take the civil service test too. Just because they hang out at the fire station all day doesn't make them good candidates, just makes me wonder what they do for a living.

Comment

Our duty hours are from 0800-1200hrs. Then, from 1200-1700 we can sleep,watch tv, whatever. 1700-2100 are "duty hours",but really no work must be done, we just cant be asleep. Family can visit after 1700 until 2100. Occasionaly a wife or girlfriend may drop by for lunch, no big deal as long as its not disruptive of peoples naps.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X