Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a firefighter, I was the fire commissioner for about 3years. As an elected official, I have a strong interest in the fire department and making it beneficial to our city and our volunteers. I've been a smoker for over 30 years.

Do I think smoking hinders your job performance? I have attended meetings with the volunteers, gone on calls they were at, and I have seen them at official meetings. Never once have I seen either of them so addicted they had to stop what they were doing to "burn one". In the event that happened, rest assured I'd be the first to take that person aside and tell them to get some help immediately.

Now to fair, does smoking help your job performance? When you're dragging the hose and huffing and puffing before you get to the destination,it doesn't speak favorably. When your standing over a cardiac patient and hacking your head off, it doesn't speak favorably. When your speeding down the highway, and toss out that butt, it doesn't speak favorably.

Only you can determine if it is a hinderance to your performance. I wouldn't begin to make that judgment call.

Comment

I am a non-smoker. If someone wishes to smoke, that is their right...as long as their smoking does not infringe on the rights of others. Most fire stations have a designated smoking area or are totally non-smoking. Many companies and corporations are totally non-smoking within the confines of their buildings.

I feel that non smokers should be entitled to the same amount of time that smokers get for their cigarette breaks...with pay, of course!

For those who feel that it is their God given right to light up whenever and wherever they please, let me offer you a little analogy...

You are a smoker and you feel that you should have the right to light up anytime and anywhere. Besides all of the known chemicals, carcinogens and other health hazards that are a detriment to both your health and mine, a by product of your smoking is second hand smoke. This second hand smoke permeates the air, causing everything that comes into contact with it, icluding my clothing and hair to reek of your habit if I should happen to be anywhere in your general area.

I enjoy having a nice cold beer on occasion. While beer does contain alcohol, which can be harmful to the human body and can affect one's judgement, impede the operation of motor vehicles and heavy machinery when consumed in mass quantities, I don't feel the need to take a beer break many times during the day. The byproduct of beer is urine. How would you feel if I decided to permeate your area, hair and clothing with the byproduct of my cold beer?

Don't blow smoke at me, and I won't pee on you!

------------------
      Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
      Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 06-07-2001).]

Comment

Capn Gonzo,

Good points, all well made and I especially enjoyed the last part
        If you dont blow smoke on me, I wont pee on you!
        Very good and well taken, thanks for the input.

------------------
        My Opinions are mine and mine alone. They don't reflect my departments or anyone on my department's opinions.

Comment

Very good analogy, Captain. However most of us in employment aren't allowed several breaks a day, we get no more as a smoker than a non-smoker gets. Yes, we may choose to use our 15 minutes to light up, but we must do it outside, or in a designated area away from all other humans who might be contaminated.

There are studies that prove second hand smoke may be harmful, and for that smokers are isolated. I have no problem with smoking in a designated area, and I understand the disdain a non-smoker has for the smell and the possible health effects.

Let's look at your analogy for a moment. If you and I sitting in a room, and I'm smoking while your drinking your beer. If I smoke four cigarettes while you drink four beers, and then we head home in our vehicles, I wonder which of us has created the greatest risk to others.

Comment

Originally posted by comwhite:
            Very good analogy, Captain. However most of us in employment aren't allowed several breaks a day, we get no more as a smoker than a non-smoker gets. Yes, we may choose to use our 15 minutes to light up, but we must do it outside, or in a designated area away from all other humans who might be contaminated.

There are studies that prove second hand smoke may be harmful, and for that smokers are isolated. I have no problem with smoking in a designated area, and I understand the disdain a non-smoker has for the smell and the possible health effects.

Let's look at your analogy for a moment. If you and I sitting in a room, and I'm smoking while your drinking your beer. If I smoke four cigarettes while you drink four beers, and then we head home in our vehicles, I wonder which of us has created the greatest risk to others.

If I had four beers in the time you had four cigarettes, I would be probably be intoxicated...I would call a cab or get myself a designated driver. I could not see risking my career over drinking and driving!

------------------
            Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
            Captain Gonzo

Comment

Originally posted by jedge168:
              Count me in as well. I know I shouldn't, but, ya gotta die of something.

I smoke so I can die of smoke inhalation slowly.

Comment

Count me in as well. I know I shouldn't, but, ya gotta die of something.
                Hey, I plan to go "ALL OUT". I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast with my coffee and buttered toast, then have a cigarette....After that I eat my lunch consisting of 2 Hotdogs, French Fries (extra salty), a big thick chocolate shake, to top that off I have another couple of cigarettes, and finally to end my day I go home have a big juicy (med. rare) steak, butter covered baked potato, a big glass of beer and I finish my pack of cigs.

This of course is being fictious, but it just shows you all the different "pollutants" that you put into our body everyday. Just something else to think about...:-)

Stay Safe!

------------------
                My Opinions are mine and mine alone. They don't reflect my departments or anyone on my department's opinions.

[This message has been edited by CV639 (edited 06-09-2001).]

Comment

I don't have a problem with people who smoke, it's their body and they can do what they please with it. I do have two issues with firefighters that smoke. One is fire fighters who smoke on the scene of an incident. Firefighters are looked upon as role models by children and I feel it portrays a poor image when a fire fighter smokes in the public eye. My other issue is when a smoker lights up in the cab of the apparatus. I feel it's selfish of a smoker to pollute the air of non-smokers for their own satisfaction.

Comment

I am a non smoker, although on a RARE SPECIAL occasion, I will have a cigar. Also, I even carry a pack of cigarrettes in my bunker coat since i am tired of hearing the smokers not having any cigarettes on them. If they want to light up, that is there choice.

Comment

Alaska Fireman,

Sorry if you don't like hearing them wine. I always try to grab mine as I go out the door or I leave them in my car so I usually have them. As far as the idea of putting a pack in your bunker gear, there are two reasons and here they are: # 1 The cigs tend to get stale and taste horrible. # 2 If you make entry you will get wet, plus the sweat from just you will get the cigarettes all wet and its a waste of money. Just my personal experiences.

------------------

Comment

Brothers, It all comes down to one thing, common courtesy. Be respectfull to everyones rights and or opinions. I smoke but I dont smoke around those who dont, I field strip my butts and throw them away. The non-smokers dont give me any crap about my habbit. There are alot of better things to debate about in this world. Remeber be respectfull to each other.

Comment

Snake,

I agree with you totally 100%, but you will always have someone who will want something to argue about and if they happen to see you smoking right that minute, then that is thier "gripe of the hour". It doesn't matter how much we do (go outside, throw away our butts, etc.) There will always be someone to complain about it, and we need to tell those people to get over it and ignore them, and eventually they will find someone or something else to bitch about.

------------------

Comment

The only time that I smoke is when I am on fire and I try not to do that too many times, if I can help it.

'Er in Doors' smokes a lot and I have increase her life insurance to give me something to remember her by, a new Harley.

------------------
                            Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
                            http://www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

Comment

. . . gimmie a cigarette, a cold beer, and some food that is bad for you, and i'll discuss this further . . .
                              May God bless all the people and families who have lost
                              their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
                              [email protected]

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority of the non-smoking community because I personally don't care if you smoke or not. Polluting your bodies? Give me a break. With all of the garbage we eat (and drink) on a daily basis people want to pick on cigarettes?

We're all going to die of something, ladies and gentlemen...pick your poison.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X