This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CV639

How Many FIrefighters Out There Smoke?

Alot of people @ my station either smoke chew tobacco. Myself included in the smoking part. There are a few people who don't smoke and give the rest of us a hard time about it, even though we go outside the station (like the rules say) in the cold of winter and the rains of spring and the winds of fall, and yes even the heat of summer just to enjoy a cigarette. I was just wondering how many firefighters out there either smoke, dip, or chew tobacco? and Why you do it? I personally do it cause it seems to help the stress of the job and it helps me from getting very very large, as I just smoke when I get hungary. hehe

Stay Safe, and Stay at It!

------------------
    My Opinions are mine and mine alone. They don't reflect my departments or anyone on my department's opinions.
  • dly

Only if I'm on fire.

Or I get a good cigar!

------------------
    Old School...Learning New Tricks
    http://members.home.net/dly135/welcome.htm

Comment

• jedge168

Count me in as well. I know I shouldn't, but, ya gotta die of something.

------------------
      Jim Edge, Paramedic/Firefighter
      Wilmington NC
      [email protected]

Comment

• windham3

I chew. I used to smoke though, smoked for ten years. I know chewing is still a risk, but I can breathe better.

Anyway, if someone in the department is giving you a hard time about it I personally would tell them to **** up a rope and find something important to worry about!
        Just my opinion of course.

------------------
        Assistant Chief
        Department 19
        Bradford County PA.

Comment

• Radar26

I do not smoke now, but I did smoke for 14 years and the last five I chewed and smoked. I had quit using tobacco before I got in the fire service. You are a smart person and nobody needs to lecture on the health risk of tobacco. I will tell you that putting tobacco down made an awesome change in my life. I do feel much better. I myself get very annoyed sometimes buy the smell of cigarette smoke on other persons clothes. If you have ever been a smoker and stopped you know the odor that is present on a smokers close. The odor is not noticeable buy the smoker because they are use to it and smell it all the time. Since my decision not to use tobacco it has been amazing the smell I pick up on both the close and the persons themselves who are tobacco users. This could be the motivation behind the hard times you brothers are giving you. As far as smokeless most guys I know do still use it in the station despite it being not allowed and they are usually not very considerate of those who don't use it. They leave spit cups around and are careless when it comes to disposing of the spit cups. Then on the other hand some people are going to find something to complain about all the time. Ask your fellow brothers just what it is they don't like about your tobacco use, then maybe you can get the real picture. I don't know what your rank is, but if you are fighting fire remember the attack team is only as strong as the weakest link. Your brothers may be trying to tell you they are concerned not only for your safe return to the station ,but their own as well.

These are my personal opinions and in know way undermine any other replies or represent the views of my department.

Brett Long
          FF/EMT
          Hattiesburg Fire & Rescue
          [email protected]

Comment

• Fire Line

I used to smoke, quit seventeen years ago, so I can see it from both points of view. About a quarter of our FF smoke, they smoke outside the building. The funniest thing I've seen is FF's coming out of a smoke filled building, pulling off their SCBA mask and then lighting up. Doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

• canman

I like a good cigar in the afternoon to beat the boredom of waiting till the bells go off, it passes the time and it's relaxing. I have it out in the truck bay where I can enjoy it and think about things as we can't smoke in quarters unless you're on fire.

Comment

• ArmyTruckCompany

For the smokers who get irritated with us non-smokers that bitch:

Why do you insist on polluting your body with a KNOWN cause of Lung Cancer? Or what about Throat Cancer? Mouth Cancer? What about the high levels of CO in your blood?? What about the pleasant-looking gums of those who chew?? What about increasing the risk of heart attack by 60% for every year over the age of 35?? Not to mention Stroke?? What about the dangers of second-hand smoke??

Now, exposing yourself to all that...Do you really think a few drops of rain, or some snow, or a windy chilly day while you take some puffs is going to hurt you???? PLEASE!!!!!

I can always tell when it's a NASCAR sunday- there are disgusting spit cups left next to the chairs in the TV room!!! (They promptly get placed in the offender's locker!!!)

I have the right to a healthy work environment and clean living quarters.....If you have to go outside to take part in your disgusting habit, I am NOT loosing sleep!!!!

------------------
                "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

• CV639

ArmyTruckCompany, I m not bitching cause I have to go outside and smoke. I want to know why people like YOU are always bitching @ us about "polluting" our bodies? It is OUR body, if we can still do our job in a safe way and we don't smoke in your face, then what is your problem with it?

I think you need to read more carefully next time and think about your response before you go shooting off @ the mouth.

Stay Safe

------------------
                  My Opinions are mine and mine alone. They don't reflect my departments or anyone on my department's opinions.

Comment

• mongofire_99

CV639

I want to know why people like YOU are always bitching @ us about "polluting" our bodies?

You should have asked him what he had for breakfast this morning or dinner last night. Stuff that pollutes the body can be the only answer. Maybe not as bad as tobacco, but polluting none the less....

Funny thing, and I say this tongue in cheek...

Smokers will stand outside on a cold rainy day shivering and smoking and then tell you they ain't hooked.

Hey Congress, make tobacco illegal or leave it alone.

From a lifelong committed non-tobacco user...

Comment

• Eng522ine

Why do I smoke?

I smoke to keep me from choking the $hit out of the next pious, self-righteous, preaching from on high, NON-smoker that got in my face spouting their crap. I might be killing myself but, dammit I'm gonna take as many of you with me as I can!!!

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em boys!

Comment

• ArmyTruckCompany

Smoke 'Em if you got 'Em boys!!!

(BUT NOT IN THE STATION, INCLUDING THE BAYS!!!)

------------------
                        "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

• CV639

Right on Eng522ine! Burn'em If You Got'em! Wooooooooo!

------------------

Comment

• OFDLUIT33

I don't smoke, I will never smoke, and I don't understand why anyone starts smokeing. But thats from someone who has never touched a ciggerette. I don't care if someone else smokes, as long as they respect the fact that I don't like it and attempt to keep the smoke away from me.

Comment

• FireLt1951

ArmyTruckCompany,Wow I like that one.

Why have so many young men and women joined the military. That can't kill you can it?

What have you eaten today? Steak, pork(the other white meat , maybe a BLT, bacon with those eggs, vegetables that were grown with the help of pesticides.

Better go and check if your genetic makeup makes you susceptible to certain diseases and/or health problems that are genetically ingrained.

Just goes to show, if it isn't one thing it's another. You live your life your way, Others will live theirs as they see fit. As long as they abide by the rules you have no gripe and I would guess no irritable qualities.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...