This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireman2001

48 Hrs Firefighter's Special

Is anybody going to watch the 48 Hrs Firefighter's special. It's about a fire that happend in Worchester Mass. Six Firemen died that day. It looks like it will be good from the preview.
  • BTTWJFF

when is it

Comment

• Co11FireChic

I'll be in front of the T.V. after I get back from training tonight. If we're there late enough, we will have it on at the station.
      ~Courtney

Comment

• nsfdjr

10 o'clock today!!!! cant wait, i missed most of it when it was before.

Comment

• RAY MUTH JR

I have watched the 48 hours program tonight and feel that as a Firefighter we just received a slap in the face. The mother of the child, to me, showed no remorse for the situation. I realize that maybe the girl did not have the ability to realize that she should have called and reported that she was not in the building, but to me it seemed like that entire family didn't fathom the hurt that the loss of our brothers have caused to their family and the fire service. It amazes me that the only thing they were worried about was getting her out of jail and off the hook, not getting her to realize what the consequenses of her "accidental fire" was.
          I hope only the best for the family's of our lost bothers and may the healing process make everyone stronger.

Comment

• ggtruckie

Ray, my thoughts exactly,
            Oh and that comment her "dad" made on the radio i think it was " what did she do that was so wrong?" I had to get up and leave, i told every one in the room to make me leave if i tried to come back in i was so mad after he said that. I just couldn't wacth anymore. I know she didnt mean to do it. But the family really poured salt on wounds when they went to Mass. and tried to raise money for the girl's bail.

Comment

• spo0k

I was very upset by the family that was vindicated by having that girl released and cleared, and I would imagine that they have made little effort to speak with the families of those brothers lost.

The show gave me a heavy heart for those brothers. We've all been in a fire where we were completely disoriented, it happens even when you take the best precautions you can, unfortunatly these men couldn't manage to reorient themselves in time, and paid the ultimate sacrafice on something they probably assumed pulling up to be a 'medium deal'.

We watched this at the firehouse last night, and everyone agreed that we don't think we would be strong enough to make the descision not to go back in. It was a good one, and I'm sure that saved lives, but picture yourself standing in the doorway fending off men knowing your brothers are in there, still talking to you on the radio.

------------------
              FF. Mike Burnes
              Whitehall Fire Division

Comment

• ryanlori128

I would have to disagree with you gentlemen. After studing this fire many times in many seminars, classes etc. It was an accidental fire, same as any other accidental fire. The only exception in this case is it was not reported, that is irresponsible. But it was not intentionally set, where does the buck stop. Maybe Mass. needs a law requiring the reporting of a know fire.

Anyway you cut it, does not add up to sending someone to jail. All that is doing is blaming someone for a mistake. Why did 48hrs. not highlight the mistakes of the FD. Such as a failure to preplan, bad accountability, IC in the fire building etc. I am by no means attacking the actions of anyone here just stating my opinion.

Chances are,knowing that this was a place where homeless people slept it would have happened sooner or later. And due to it being cold storage it probably would still have taken 90 min. to report. I can only remember being on one run where a homeless person called in a fire.

In my opinion the fire service is passing the buck for a problem which we should be fixing. Abandoned buildings, education of the homeless etc. We all let these guys from Mass. down.

Just my own opinions on the subject.

Comment

• Chiefkeo

I would have to agree some with Ryan. I too was very moved by the program. I fought back the tears as I listened to the family of our fallen brothers. But if it is not against the law to fail to report a fire in Mass. then how could she be charged with murder? I heard the comment during the program that if they could prove arson they would have a better chance for a murder conviction. From what I understood there was no dispute that this was an accidental fire. Are we going to start charging every property owner where a Firefighter falls in the line of duty with a crime? Believe me in arson cases I say hang 'em high. Their actions were intentional and they knew the risks that firefighters would be exposed to. This girl doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the socket but does that really matter? I feel that extending the pain to another person and another family would not serve the memory of these fallen brothers well. I would rather remember their sacrifice for what it was. A valiant effort to do what they loved to do, serve their fellow man, not for putting someone away whose only real crime was not having a telephone nearby.

------------------
                  I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Comment

• Adze

Was this a new episode or was it a repeat of the one they showed last fall?

Comment

• Nick SBFD 6

It's a tough one, I mean put yourself in a jury's shoes. Emotionally remove yourself and it isn't as clear cut of a case as it at first seems, In Maine there is a law on the books, something to the effect of "failure to report or contain a dangerous fire"... or something like that. The shoe fits perfectly for that sort of charge, but manslaughter is a hard sell. I do firmly belive that for the foster parents to go on TV and say that she is in NO WAY responsible for the death of six of our brothers is outrageous, maybe the word MORAL hasn't made it that far up the state yet. Oh well, just my .02.

-Nick

Comment

• james35

Accidental or not, Should we be going into Abandon Warehouses, places where we have never seen before? And from the pictures, the flames were higher than the aerial!

But I agree with everyone, the family didn't care about the real story.

Just my Option though.

------------------
                        ...James
                        [email protected]
                        Lieutenant / Training Officer
                        Olney - Walluski Fire District # 35 (Oregon)

Comment

• CHEW33

I had mixed impressions while watching this show. Let me start off by saying that I felt deeply for all the families of the fallen heroes as well as all of the other Worcster ff's. I was extremely bothered however, when the show shifted and portryaed the female and male suspects that "accidntly" started the fire As victims as well. Did they report the fire?no. Instead they ran and hid. In the show the mother of the female stated that she was on a 12yr old level. Well I don't know about you guys, but I know kids half that age that would know enough to pick up the phone and dial 911!!!Plus, what were they doing in the abandon building in the first place. There actions of forcing their way into that bldg ultimatly led to this fire!!Those 2 will get no sympathy from me. Also I noticed that one of the replies above stated things like "I'ved studied this fire at many classes and seminars" and then goes on to point out mistakes that he thinks the f.d made. Who is he to point out anything!!!Studying in the enviornment of a classroom is a little different than what the ff's actually went through who were working that night!!

Comment

• Philip C

I held the belief that the homeless couple should have been punished for quite some time. After watching 48 Hours I had to reevaluate my position on that. While it is true that many children half the girl's mental/emotional age know about dialing 911, if she had been on the street her whole life, how would she have learned what to do? Maybe she had no idea. I might have missed it, but did the male have any disabilities? If so the same could hold true for him, although since he was much older it would seem unlikely he wouldn't have learned sometime in his life. Massachusetts' lack of a reporting law sealed that argument.

The one thing that angered me, as it did others, was the lack of concern the parents showed for what happened. I wonder if they have tried to explain to their daughter what happened or what to do in case of a fire. If so they sure didn't act like it. I can only hope that their attitude towards the incident isn't like it was portrayed and that editing and producing played a part in making it seem that way. Take care and be safe.

------------------
                            Phil Clinard
                            Laurel VFD
                            Prince George's Co Sta 10
                            Laurel, MD
                            www.laurelvfd.org

Comment

• xenophon13

There are a few things with the whole story that kinda get on my nerves. The biggest one being the way the foster parents went to Mass to raise money to get her bail. That was totally disrespectful. Also you notice that nobody seemed to care about the guy she was with. They were both just as much at fault. Another thing that gets me is that both of them watched the firefighters attempt to extinguish the fire but didn't bother to come forward and say "hey we aren't in there". He watched it while directly on the scene and she watched it from a friends motel room. It just gets me that the foster parents were all hell bent to get her off but they didn't lift a finger to help the guy, for all we know he is still in jail.

------------------
                              When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...