This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day

Brothers and Sisters...let us take a moment and say thank you and remember those brave souls who gave their lives in defense of our freedoms.

Let us also remember our Brothers and Sisters who made the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty.

May their sacrifices never be forgotten, may they be honored forever...

Amen Cap !!!

Comment

dido

Comment

Amen Gonzo!!!

Comment

A forum topic that is worthy of much discussion, but requires not a word .

I too, take my hat off and stand proud in honor of those who have gone before.

Comment

A moment of silence..............

Amen!!!

Be safe out there!!

Comment

We have all heard the haunting song, "Taps." It's the song that gives us
              that lump in our throats and usually creates tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be
              pleased to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of
              land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay
              severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate
              soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man
              back for medical attention.

Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a
              Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The Captain lit a lantern, caught his breath and suddenly went numb with
              shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son.
              The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without
              telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his
              superiors to give his son a full military burial despite his enemy status.
              His request was only partially granted. The Captain had asked if he could
              have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the
              funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
              But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only
              one musician. The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series
              of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of his dead
              sons uniform.

This wish was granted. The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps" used at
              military funerals, was born.

Day is done, Gone the sun
              From the Lakes, From the hills, From the sky.
              All is well, safely rest.
              God is nigh.

Fading light, Dims the sight
              And a star Gems the sky, Gleaming bright.
              From afar, Drawing nigh,
              Falls the night.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
              Neath the sun, Neath the stars, Neath the sky,
              As we go, This we know,
              God is nigh.

I too, have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have never seen
              all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than
              one verse. I also only recently learned the story behind the song. I don't
              know if you know it either, so I thought I'd pass it along. I now have an
              even deeper respect for the song than I did before.

Comment

dido again,
                Engine69, I didn't even know there were words to the taps, yet always get that lump in the throat when played. thanks for the history.

Comment

As a 21 year veteran of the Active and Reserve branch of the US Army, I too also salute those who have made the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. The words and sounds of "Taps" are indeed haunting and serve as a reminder to all of us to be thankful to those who gave their lives so that the rest of us can remain free.

Comment

Amen...
                    stay safe!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse