Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to get hold of a Capt. Zamparelli at the St. Petersburg (Fl) Fire Dept. His crew did an exhaustive test of the most popular SCBA's. Don't talk to a chief, don't talk to training, just get Capt. Zamparelli for the straight scoop. They actually settled on Scott, but I can see that they may not be for everyone, I think their harness is really crappy, and definately get the chest straps. But the rest of the rig seems first rate. I guess you can't have everything.

Comment

Most of my experience has been with MSAs...the first department I joined had the old style, with the belt regulator and elephant trunk - and the pass device you had to turn on manually.

My new department had the MSAs with face regulator and integrated pass device - which I love. I feel I can suit up quicker than with the other types of regulator. I've also tried Scotts, and felt as comfortable with using it.

However, I personally have found the reps from MSA more helpful, and when I've seen their demonstrations along side Scotts, I've been more impressed with their advancements, knowledge and helpfulness.

In all - to me - they're all the same....Frickin' heavy when I'm crawling under smoke! ;-)

Take care and be safe!!!

[This message has been edited by bgfdchick (edited 06-19-2001).]

Comment

YOBI - Are you saying that Scott packs with the EBSS (buddy breather) are not NIOSH approved? Don't you think they'd get in some trouble if that were the case?

Comment

Our department just completed a fairly extensive testing and evaluation of the "new" SCBA. We tested MSA, ISI, Scott, Interspiro, and Drager. The MSA was an overwhelming favourite for comfort, breathability, and emergency features (transfill, etc.). Living in a Norhtern enviroment we also evaluated the masks for both on-air/off-air fogging and the MSA was by far the best. We are currently receiving prices based on 1 hr carbon bottle, new Firehawk Mask Mounted Regulator, transfill hose w/pouch, external air connection (haz-mat suits, etc.),voice amplifier, intergrated Pass (much better than Scott which you can't read guage in the dark), and the top back frame. Whatever you do, just make sure you do a good field evaluation as some of the packs were great in the classroom but fared poorly at the training tower. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by HarleyGump (edited 06-19-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X