Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scottt vs. survivair vs. ??? which scba do you like best?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used Suprise air(Survivair), Scott and a couple of other brands over the years. After doing field testing my department went with the Scott 4.5 airpack. I like the way it feels and operates.

I do agree with some of the other guys though, you need to do a study and see which airpack the guys on your department like best and go with that one. Its a bad day when your guys dont like or trust the equipment they are wearing.

Be smart and do a study first.

Comment

My Department had Scott 2-a"s years ago, then they got this AWESOME deal (NOT) on Draggers, we had nothing but problems with them, all off the bottles had to be sent back to the man. they were scaling on the in side , problems with the regs. you name it it went wrong, well I and a couple other guys talked them into switching back to the one and only SCOTT, and that we did. We purchased 12 new 4500psi Scott Fiftys with carbon fiber cyl., and it is heaven with them on your back, and knowing that the next Box you won"t have to worry about your SCBA possibly failing you which is not a good feeling. we finally went back to the FINEST SCBA in the fire service.

SCOTT AVIATION

BE SAFE

Comment

We've got some Old Scotts with the elephant nose. No one but our former chief, liked them. ISI is our main SCBA, very few problems and fairly comfortable to wear. We do need to upgrade and when we do it will be between MSA and Scott.

Comment

We went from MSA to Scott and I think that SCOTT is the best out there.

Comment

We currently use the Scott 2.2, but we have 6 new 4.5 Pak-Fifty's on order. We hope to replace everything in the next year.

I have been a service tech on Scott, Survivair, and MSA. And from my working on each of them I feel that Scott is the best by far.

Stay Safe!

P.P.

Comment

Well I started on a department useing the older Scott 2A's. (No positive pressure! Then they went to the optional version!)Use to loving refer to the pack as the brick. I could not wear the waist belt tightly on these packs though. If you did the dam thing would split you in two when you bent over. And I survived some high heat wearing one too. Crystallized and cracked the lens, and melted off one of the nylon shoulder straps and thankfully the brick still gave me air!

Thank god all the new packs have nomex straps!

I have used the Scott 2.2 (didn't get to use the 4.5!) and MSA's Ultralite (half hour and one hour) packs too. And I always wanted to tryout the newer MSA's mask mounted regulator packs, but never got the chance. I can't recall having any problems with the waist mounted regulator MSA provides, the thing must have been built like a tank!

Still looking to try out the neighboring department's ISI Magnum pack (It looks a little uncomfortable.) And I have been looking to try out the Drager AirBoss, which at least looks like an interesting pack.

I moved to my current Fire Department that was using the old Survivair Mark II's when I started. Mask & pack was comfortable, but the maintenance program sucked. Some of the alarm bells were falling off, nylon straps were still in use, 3 years then overhaul, etc. Yuk! But they were in the middle of an upgrade and as packs were determined no longer servicable they got rid of them.

These days (I am still there.) we are using Survivair Sigmas, some are about 8 years old. They have the classic style pack frame, which so far has been the most comfortable pack I have worn, but it is also the one that moves around on the back the most too! Their masks seem to be a bit more comfortable also. And I get the lovely chore as servicing as Air Boss of the Air Shop.

Just to mention.
              The bad thing with the early Sigmas is they just could not handle the punishment the job dished out. Something was always gumming up the shutoff button or valve in the regulator. And don't get me wrong they still worked. Even if the valve in the regulator was gummed up the unit would go into free flow and you still did not have to open the by pass!

I do have to say. . . We do have some of the newer Panther's in service with the classic pack frame and they so far have worked flawlessly.

We might be purchasing the Panther 4500 psi version with the mighty lite frame some time soon though.

But with all honesty any pack should serve the department well as long as the preventative maintenance is done to them and the compressor suppling air (air to them and you!) Try them all out if you can, and look at how fast / reliable they provide user's air. They should fit the tallest and smallest guy on your department comfortably (within reason.)

Also don't believe any salesperson or any department that tells you airpack maintenance is not necessary. All packs need maintenance! If you are servicing your pack properly they should be going in for annual flow checkups and servicing as per MFG and whatever governing body (be it Feds or State) ruleing over SCBA!

*Airpacks contain moving parts and these parts will wear out over time!*

A trick to warn you about.
              Also look at how the maintenance is done to them, ie. If a dealer says overhauls are not necessary, then look at how the annuals are done. Some MFG's will replace certain parts during the annual service and rotate though each part after each (annual) service until essentally a overhaul has been done within a time period! It is a sneaky trick on how they get you with costs of an overhaul, if you ask me! (Some packs need to be essentally overhauled every 3 years! Some go longer! And if in doubt every 5 per NFPA!)

Anyway Got To GO!

A message from the AIR SHOP

GOT AIR?

[This message has been edited by FF103 (edited 05-28-2001).]

Comment

OPS

[This message has been edited by FF103 (edited 05-28-2001).]

Comment

Oh ya, one more thing. . .

Unless you have no other choice don't use an OBA!!!

Just trust me.

Comment

Our department replaced all of its airpacks about a year ago... I was involved in the field testing in which we evaluated Scott, MSA, Cairns, Survivair, Interspiro, and ISI... I gotta give it to SCOTT, no competition!!!

Comment

we just got new scott paks 2.2s with steel tanks ugh!!!! we have 3 kinds of airpacs in my dept msas darley lifeairs and now scotts i rather have scott though they are alot simpler to use and our chief gave each man on shift his own pak

Comment

In my department we have always had scott we recently bought 8 4.5's we love um!!

Comment

If you want to eliminate some of the retoric, there is a test that only two manufacturers will pass, it is a test bench from NFPA (I like to call it the NFPA firemans lung), it is a very hard test to pass. The two manufacturers that can pass the test are Scott and ISI. The rest if they can't meet the test should be scrapped.

Comment

SCOTT!!!!!!!

Comment

I use Scott and tried MSA i really like the scott. I guess i am just used to it so take that into consideration. Even though i havent used the suvivair, from those that have used it i know they say it isnt so great, it was a problem with the low air alarm in the past too i heard, but those were the old models. I heard they used to call them "surprise air"- surprise you are out of air.

Comment

Scott 4.5's take alot of abuse. Not really crazy about the new harness...harder to do quick release manuver than the old harness.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X