This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Right-on gah74! I have finally gotten to the department that I wanted after working at two smaller departments due to a hiring freeze, I've been a rookie three times and for six years. I now have ten years total on and love pulling pranks on the rookies.

[This message has been edited by CLWFWFD (edited 05-24-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Many times when these probies are speaking up, they just want to point out that, "hey i actually know how to do this and i want to help." I don't understand why you wouldn't want someones input on something. Sure there are boundries they can overstep. Probies should be doing more listening than talking but think of it this way. If your mother was in trouble, wich FF would you want working on her; the FF with 2 years exp. , the FF with 15 years exp., or the FF who knows how to do it right?

------------------
    "You go..... we go"
    Shawn
    8th Utilities District
    Manchester CT

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    That was my plan. I will never admit on knowing everything and always make it a point to listen to everything anyone has to say about anything. Which is one reason why I like these forms. We have had a few guys join our department from other halls thinking they now everything. I promised myself that I would never act like that if given the chance.

As for probies cleaning the toilet, I'm the chief's son!! I don't think there is a job around the station that I haven't done. I get Volun-told for everything. Being a probie at another hall would be a walk in the park , a walk that I look forward to.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    firefighter26....I don't believe there is one prevailing attitude or preference when it comes to hiring people w/ experience vs. no experience. Some firefighters will prefer it...some will not. (That is pretty much true w/ everything in the fire service)

I don't think any probies, totally green or not, deserve to be abused or constantly harrassed. I do believe, however, that it's the probies job to clean the hair off the toilet in the mornings. I don't care where they worked before.

Most firefighters are not going to like a foremost expert joining the ranks. Sometimes it's best to just play stupid. If you make the guys around you feel like they are teaching you stuff, even when they're not, they will like you more...so listen to them. Chances are you may learn something anyway. Of course, if safety is being compromised, SPEAK UP! But if they are telling you good information, do what they say and thank them for the tip (even if you already knew the info). If you come across as already knowing everything and not needing their help then you might get a cold shoulder. Save your war stories til after you've been there a year or so.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Right now I am on a volly department with my name in at a full time station. When they give me the call to come and try out I will make sure that I don't mouth off. I can't see it helping my cause.
    However, because I already have time in, I would expect not to be treated like a green rookie. A rookie, sure, but like someone off the street.
    Do departments perfer to have take rookies on with volunteer experience?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have to agree with FP&LS Guy's take on it. We had a situation the other day where the brand-new, right out of the academy rook had more time as a firefighter than the other 3 on the crew combined... And I was the rook!

Different for medic's and patient care I'm sure, but for the cutting and squirting part of the game, the bottom line is that the way you did it where you used to be isn't the only way, and unless you're being put into a life-threatening situation by a blatantly unsafe order, you're much better off to just look, listen and learn.

The "way you did it over there" will serve you in time, but don't ever try to "teach" anybody a "better" way of doing something when you're the new guy in the house. You'll get the chance to do that in the future, but during your first year or two anyway, you are the learnee, and you'd best not forget it, because if you do you'll never hear the end of it!

------------------
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim ignorance and lack of adult supervision.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I like the way you think, It is true that alot of the new school rookies have had experience or extensive schooling and academys. I Feel as long as they are humble in their opinions and not to chatty they will do just fine in the station.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here in NH we have had a recent trend resulting in an increase in the number of firefighting positions throughout the state. Two situations have resulted in departments not hiring the traditional "rookie".
    The first situation is the current demand for paramedics. The training courses can't keep up with the demand, so many departments are hiring personnel with either previous experience on other (typically smaller) departments, or medics who have worked for a number of years for private services. Many of these guys are more experienced as medics then the in-house guys who have just finished training as medics. If any of you deal with medics on a regular basis, you can imagine the reaction if one of the "instant medics" with a couple years seniority starts telling a "rookie" with 5-10 years as a medic how to treat a patient ....
    The other situation if firefighters from smaller or lower paying departments (not always the same thing), who may have as much as 10-15 years experience, moving to a new department. These "rookies" are dealing with guys who may have 4-5 years senority, but have no previous ecperience beyond that. And some of these departments that personnel are moving to are actually slower than the department the rookie came from.

While I am not going to get into justifying any specific method of handling thee situations, or in dealing with probies in general, some of the senior guys need to remember that the probie of today may not be the ignorant knuckle dragger that you were when you got hired off the street for your department.
    The funniest situation I have witnessed was a guy with 3 years treating the new probie like crap for the first 3 weeks he was on shift. It took that long before the "senior" guy realized that the "probie" was one of the career firefighters who taught most of his firefighting classes at the state fire academy. DUH !! So .... who's the probie?? LOL

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Mouthy Rooks

Mouthy Rooks

I was wondering if anyone else thought it was such a terrible disservice to a department when you have a rookie who likes to voice his or her opinion? Well I guess what I am getting at is, is it such a big deal to let a rookie have a say and voice his opinion every now and then or do you think that they should just be seen and not heard. What if they know something you dont should they still just shut up..... PS Im not the rookie in this situation, so dont get any ideas...

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X