This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollup Doors on Apparatus

Our department is expecting delivery of a new rescue pumper in the fall. It will be equipped with rollup doors. We get a lot of snow annually. Has anyone had any problems with their rollup doors? And if so what was the cause? Any remedies?

We had problems with the paint on our doors. After a year or so it started to bubble and flake off. We also had problems with stuff moving around within the compartment and jamming the doors. I know the answer is to keep everything secured but we're a one station department so we are carrying 10 pounds of %!#$ in a 5 pound bucket so to speak and found it hard to do. We have a new "front line" pumper now with traditional hinged doors and let me tell you, it's nice to walk up to a compartment and know you won't have to wrestle with it to get it open.

Comment

We have roll-ups on our year-old rescue, and they seem to serve us just fine, definitely make it easy to get to equipment quickly and not block up traffic or personnel on tight streets with doors sticking out. Cribbing kept in a compartment above each rear wheel tends to slide just a little, and makes it a little tricky to open, but taking turns just a little slower might prevent that...

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of the roll up doors from past experiences with discussions with brothers/sisters from other depts. w/ some of the problems mentioned above. But we took delivery of a new apparatus with them and now I'm pretty much sold. The only downfall we run into is you lose a little space from the top shelf due to that is where the door "rolls" up, inside the compartment. Other then that if you ever have a problem where the body above the door gets dented hard, or the door comes off track, it is very difficult, and depending on now bad the damage almost impossible to get it open to pull any equipment out.

=========================================
        The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

No problems that I've noted on our newer pieces which have the roll-ups. Just be careful where you put your water cooler - I didn't make sure the spout was offset from the door, and closed the compartment (above
          the one wheelwell). Coming back around the piece, I noticed water trickling from the bottom of the door, so I opened it up to see what the problem was. That's when I got hit in the chest with the stream of ice-cold water from the spout and from the detent-button hole. (I'd caught the button and knocked it off.)(Luckily it snapped right back in place, and I didn't break anything)
          DOHH!! ;-)

------------------
          HazMat
          ---
          We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!
          ---
          Disclaimer:
          These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.
          ---
          Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try

Comment

Rollups are the only way to go! I love em, and I will never spec another peice without 'em. And that's the bottom line!

------------------
            FTM - PTB

Comment

Our tower truck has rollups on the rear ground ladder compts. The ladders have to be velcro strapped or they slide against the doors. If that happens the only way to open them is to take the truck out and do a brakestand.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that the doors will require regular maintenance. If you dont clean the tracks they will always work stiff.

Good luck
              Chris

Comment

Like Corvin said, ya gotta make sure your load inside them is secure, other wise you could get jams.

(and we've been running them since '76...been there, done that.)

But I'm not sure that's such a big drawback. Hmmm, have a big, heavy piece of equipment block you from opening the door, or being able to open a conventional door and have said big, heavy thing fall on your foot...

Comment

We have had them now for about 1 year. Love them! Plain and simple. I would recommend though not to have them painted, just get the brushed aluminum. Personal preference, Robinson doors are the best choice. You do need to keep them clean. As far as the snow problem, not much difference from traditional hinge doors.

------------------
                  Robert Repasky, Asst. Chief
                  Sayre Fire Dept.
                  Sayre Pennsylvania
                  http://home.cyber-quest.com/sfd

Comment

We also have Robinson or ROM roll ups. In service now about 13 months. We like them a lot. No new problems to add. We have had to make sure to secure every thing. Some of our doors with shelves in close proximity have a piece of metal protecting the door in the up position. Make sure to clean track every month or so and lube pe manufactures choice of lubricant. They make a cool looking truck. Ours is a rescue style pumper with rear mount pump with an automatic door that opens when the pump is engaged.

Comment

we have had dover roll up doors for three and a half years now with no problems. i believe the dovers are stronger than rom though. we did not have ours painted either but did put reflective strips with no problems.

[This message has been edited by neut (edited 05-25-2001).]

Comment

We looked at many pumpers before we finalized the specs on our pumper. On several trucks we found the door hard to open and close unless you grabbed the handle in the middle. We did not find that to be the case on pumpers equiped with ROM doors. We speced ROM and love them. You can open or close the door with one finger even on the very end of the handle. This was not the case with anything else we looked at.

Good Luck

Firehose

Comment

As far as which one I like best, I would have to say the one that opens when I want it to and stays shut when its supposed to. There are draw backs to both types of door. You need to weight the pros and cons and decide from there. Our current engines and ladders for the most part have all roll-up doors. We havent had any serious problems with them hence the reason we keep getting them. Good luck in your decision.

Comment

We already ordered our rescue pumper. It will be a Seagrave with Robinson rollups I believe. Thanks for all the input so far!

Comment

I forgot one more thing I noticed in the past week or so that I forgot to mention. While I love the doors, you do lose the ability to stand under the upward swinging compartment doors when its raining. lol.

===========================================
                              The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X