This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Career, what should I know?

Well, I finally decided to do it. I have been volunteering for more then three years now, since I was 18. Now that I am 21 I can't get enough of the fire department, so I decided to look into going career. The department I am looking at will not be hiring until late this year, so until then, I have been trying to get as much of everything that I can.

Apart from taking as many courses as I can, and learning as much about the department I am trying out for, is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for the help.

If you are not in a cardio and weight training program yet now would be a good time to start. There are also some fine self-help books out there that can help you prepare for the writtn exam. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Smokeetr4 (edited 05-21-2001).]

Comment

I'm not sure what certifications are like in canada, but in the states, for the most part, volunteer departments require a lower cert level than career departments. Because of this many volunteers have to do some extra classes to get these new certs.

Another issue is, unless this department you speak of has written you a letter that says "you _will_ be hired on such and such date" I wouldn't bank everything on that one dept. Start puttin in apps everywhere and anywhere, eventually somewhere will pick you up full-time.

On last thing, if you are getting hired onto a 24/48 o 24/72 schedule, remember that even an hour commute isn't that bad anymore, because you're only driving every third/fourth day.

Hope this helps.. good luck and welcome to the best career of your life

------------------
      FF. Mike Burnes
      Whitehall Fire Division

Comment

Since I have some time, maybe I should take some cooking classes. I am sure that would help out

Comment

See there, now you're playing the game! That's probably the best advice on here. If you can cook and you clean up the station without being told to you will go a long way in the fire service. Haha.

Comment

Isn't that a probies job? Cooking, cleaning, and washing toilets? It's all part of the adventure...

Comment

All the advice so far is great, and a good thought about the cooking...it can never hurt.

Seriously, the one thing I have learned,(and probably should have paid more attention to), is to listen more than you talk. Those that have been there before us have a ton of info to offer, more than you will ever learn in the classroom. PAY ATTENTION...it will pay off in the long run.

Also see if you can visit a station where you are planning to get hired. Spend some time, LISTEN(see there it is again), and try to get a feel for what its all about.

Remember that you will have more down time than calls, and there are a lot of good ways to occupy that time.

Also remember that this is the BEST JOB IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, if you are lucky enough to get hired, remember that one thing, always, everyday, no matter what.......

Dave

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X