Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Auto Extrication and Airbags

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Extrication and Airbags

How does your department handle extrication involving vehicles equipped with airbags. I know that cutting the battery cable isn't always good enough. Anyway, I was just curious.

We use the Holmatro yellow bag. Have yet to use it, but have read some things about it. Also i have heard people talk about stabbing through the leather/vinyl to put holes in the bag in case it tried to deploy it would not be able to inflate. But wouldnt this release the gases used to inflate out of the holes and into you and your patients face. And if im not mistake, these gases are around 2200 degrees F.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Comment

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the University of Extrication forum. Basically, you always treat an undeployed airbag as if it will deploy. Keep clear of it and NEVER put anything between it and your patient. Disconnect the battery, but keep in mind that there could be a 20+ minute discharge time for the capacitors that operate the device.

[This message has been edited by Engine69 (edited 05-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Engine69 (edited 05-20-2001).]

Comment

Did I read or hear somewhere about disconnecting both battery cables and then touching the two ends together for 30 seconds to discharge the capacitors? Does that really work?

Comment

Just had an extrication class and yes, take both cables off (with a wrench-you may need them)but before that, take a little shaving cream and coat the terminals and connectors to keep the sparks from any spilled fuel. Hold the terminals together for at least 30 seconds as said previously. Also, remember the 5/10/20 rule..... 5 inches away from the side pannel airbags, 10 inches away from the steering wheel bag, and 20 inches from the passenger side air bag. Good luck!!

Comment

Um, our dept. is in the process of buying a set of Holmatro extrication tools. There is a really cool video that Holmatro has put out concerning these situations, along with a book of different kinds of cars and the dangers present in extrication with each. I would definitely recommend EVERYONE seeing it if they can, though, I'm not sure how to get a hold of it. I have no idea where the chief got our video. At first it seems like a sales gimmick, but it's not. Again, great video, very informative.
            ~Courtney

Comment

The same here for me as Engine 69. Disconnect the battery terminals, and don't wedge yourself between the patient and the airbag. (But of course according to vehicle manufacturers this doesn't happen) While this isn't always possible depending on the situation/mech. of injury, the least amount of time between it should always be attempted. While I'm glad to see that there are pieces of equipment on the market to deal with this problem/situation, I also feel that it, at times, is overkill. Has anyone seen any statistics of how often this actually occurs. And if it does, how many of us/EMS, or anyone else have been injured. We all have seen the video, and it raised awareness, but how many more have happened?

--------------------------------------------
              The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X