Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Pressure or Volume

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure or Volume

For those of you running two stage pumps, do you leave your transfer valve set in the pressure or volume setting? Just curious as to why you use this particular setting; tradition, manufacturer's recommendation, department SOP or what? In my department we always left the pumps in pressure until we started pumping more than half the capacity of the pump, at which time we switched over to volume. This was done of course to cause the least amount of strain on the engine. Recently, we have eliminated small booster lines which required high pressures (our smallest lines are 1 3/4") and we use LDH to supply engines or master streams (no more duel 2 1/2"s}. We do not pump more than 200 PSI through the LDH. Because of this I have started leaving my engine in the volume position. I just like the idea of having maximum flow capacity immediately available without having to worry about switching over. Is my thinking flawed or does anyone else do this?

------------------
    Mike Gentili, Capt.
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

Waterous Company recommends that you use it in the pressure mode until more than 50% of the rated capacity is required. Which is how you ran it before. It is true that the pump is more efficient in pressure for the low flow/high pressure operation. 99% of the time we only use a 1 1-3/4" line off of the apparatus. Running the pump in series will create less heat and less re-circulation cavitation (when the pump is trying to pump more volume than you are taking off of the discharge side). Most fires you know when you need more than 50% of the rated capacity. Switching it also exercises the transfer valve and flushes any sand that may have accumulated in the housing.

Comment

We house our squrts in the pressure mode. At the time we arrive we will be instructed on whether our squrt will be deployed. if so then the pump will be moved over into the volume stage. you get a more efficient pump by doing the 50% flow rule. keep this in mind and you will have a long lasting more efficiently performing pump.

------------------
      Captain James Collier
      McMahan Fire Rescue
      KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I was always taught the same things you are saying about the 50% rule and I fully agree with this when we needed higher pressures. The reason I have changed my position now is the fact that we almost always pump between 100 and 200 psi now no matter what lines are flowing. We have an excellent water supply system with closely spaced hydrants and pressures in the 90-100 psi range in most areas of the city. This good hydrant pressure makes our net pump pressure fairly low. We can easily maintain the necessary pressures in volume and keep the engine RPMs around 1500-2500 with no unnecessary overheating. I have more often than not seen our engines straining to feed master streams or multiple lines because the pump operator failed to change over to volume. In actuality, we really only need single stage pumps and all our new engines are being ordered that way.

As far as exercising the transfer valve, we do that as part of our weekly apparatus maintenance program. We operate the pumps, transfer valve, priming pump, and relief valve every Saturday.

Comment

Our single two stage pump (is that proper grammar?) is kept in volume all the time.

Reason is it is on the ladder, and would be a rare event for the truck to have to pump one of it's handlines -- almost always it's being run to feed the stick.

Of course in a few more weeks the new ladder will be in with it's single stage and our days of two stage pumps will end

Comment

I agree with most of what I've read here. If you pump over 1/2 the capacity of the pump, pump in volume. We keep our pumpers with the pumps in VOLUME, and when we start water, if it's just a handline or two we switch to pressure. This helps exercise the transfer valve. It is an SOP in our dept. and we train, train, train that way so we "generally" don't forget.

Comment

One thing to remember on the changeover valve is that you can do a safe and quick switch when your intake pressure is within 50 psi of your discharge. i have done this many times on our squrt during exercises. I will have handlines off for the drill and command will call for the squrt to deploy. I will go ahead and do my switch before i even take the stick out of the bed. This way i can continue my ops and my interior crews can as well until i need to switch over to the master stream. Then when they back out, we can have the lines for outside use as well as the sticks in the air.

------------------
              Captain James Collier
              McMahan Fire Rescue
              KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader