Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Going in Off Duty

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going in Off Duty

Lately, I have heard stories of firefighters passing by a fire when off duty and rescuing the occupants. I realize that this is what we do, and if most of us were presented with this situation would also find ourselves inside of that fire attempting the rescue. I just want to know what everyone's opinion is on this topic. Would you go in if you knew someone was trapped? What would you do?

------------------
    These are my own ideas and opinions and do not reflect the Fort Washington Fire Company in anyway.

I would, but without gear, I'd keep a huge eye on the conditions inside, and would do all possible to get a good location from family members. If I had any means of protection near me, I'd use them. The fire may be one that could be extinguished easily, or one that could roast me with my first crawl in the door, or window. It all depends on how severe it is inside, and my chances of reaching a victim and pulling them out before an entry/escape path becomes too hot or smokey to be any good. Obviously, it does take a hell of a lot of dedication to do, as well as courage, and size-up is a prime factor as to what actions to take. But if I know for sure there's someone inside and I can make it, well... I couldn't just stand there. But others will have differing opinions, and have different factors that'd affect their decisions. I have no kids and am not married, so I don't feel I'm risking as much as someone who's got three boys and a wife waiting for them to get back home with pizza and rented videos...

Comment

I think this is a huge personal discretion issue, i mean obviously you want to assess the value of what you are going in for. is there a verified person inside? is the end result...a rescue worth the risk, or are you just doing a body recovery? in either case, the gear you have at hand, the severity of the situation and the knowledge of whether or not the rescue is needed all influence the decision one must make.

FF_ONG
      stay safe out there....

Comment

I agree with lumpy649,I would but I would have to be darn sure there was someone in there, that they had a chance, and that I had a chance to make it out.

Comment

I would given prescribed conditions, meaning there was a chance of making a rescue.

I find it interesting that one is considered a hero if going in off duty or a cop goes in, but if a firefighter goes in on duty not in full PPE, he/she gets a letter of reprimand in there file.

Comment

I, too, will agree with lumpy649. Along with a personal discretion issue, I would have to consider the risk/benefit outcome. You have to cover your assets first.

As quoted by Chief Taylor, "I find it interesting that one is considered a hero if going in off duty or a cop goes in, but if a firefighter goes in on duty not in full PPE, he/she gets a letter of reprimand in there file."

I'll have to disagree with you there, chief. The letter should be written in bold with a big,red "STUPID" stamp across it. If a brother/sister FF is bunked out with all of his PPE, I feel I can depend on them to do "the job" and not have to perform a rescue because he/she was stupid. These tools are here for our safety and well being, not for adornment on the truck. Any FF that doesn't use these tools is a hazard to the overall safe operation of "the team" as well as the incident.

------------------
            Peace,
            TROLL

Just my opinions, not my departments. If they are alike, it usually means somethin's gonna happen!

Comment

Troll,
              I can't say that I know exactly what Chief Taylor meant, but if you've been around long enough eventually you will see someone cut the corner on some issue of PPE/SOP in order to speed up a critical fireground task.
              Once I pulled up on a truck, watched an engine FF do the following. He raced up a stairwell to an outside landing where an intoxicated man was pushing an overstuffed chair through the doorway. The chair had burst into flames as it hit the doorway, the drunk had fallen to his knees, the chair was immediately beginning to scorch the soffit. Firefighter X grabbed the chair, held it away from his body and dumped it off the landing, dragged the drunk onto the landing. While this happened the officer still was setting up command and going to the compartment for his airpak. The pump was placed in gear by the driver and a trash line put out the chair. Firefighter X never put his facepiece or hood on.

I was Firefighter X's union rep when his 24 hour suspension (Battalion Chief) was increased to 72 hours by the Chief.

The example probably doesn't exactly fit your or Chief Taylors comments and really doesn't have anything to do with the original post. (SORRY FORT FF - )
              But it seems to sum up some of the safe at all costs attitude that prevails in todays fire service.

Be safe
              Chris

[This message has been edited by Corvin (edited 05-17-2001).]

Comment

its all good about getting offtrack. i like seeing what everyone's opinions are about topics such as these. as for people having the access to proper PPE, and not using it. well shame on them, if they have it there they should have it on or have quick access to putting it on.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X