X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daysleeper47
    Guest replied
    Well, I am not a firefighter yet, but will be after college. What got me hooked was when I was 10, I got my picture in the paper crawling through the Fire Prevention House, ya know, with the fake smoke and stuff with the now-Chief Fire Inspector here in Youngstown. I still have the article to this day. Ever since then, even though it faded a little in high school, I have always wanted to be a firefighter. The urge is back, stronger than ever now. Until I am done with college, buff-ing will have to do.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

Leave a comment:

• nsfirechap
    Guest replied
    Initialy, I was intrigued by reading Dennis Smith's "Report From Engine Company 82" when it first came out.(I was 14). But what really did it for me ws when the Air Force said-"You will be a firefighter like it or not"

Leave a comment:

• jedge168
    Guest replied
    Emergency probably played a small part in my choice of careers and hobbies, but I think it's the fascination with firetrucks. That fascination still holds true today. Another part that I think I've realized in the last few years is hearing that Q as a child. It would give me this weird feeling in my chest, like something calling to me. And today it still does, everytime I hear it, I can feel it as well. I'm the first in my family to do this crazy thing that we all love. While I'd love for my daughter to follow in my footsteps, so long as she's happy, I'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• mfgentili
    Guest replied
    Firefighting was not "in my blood", I am first generation firefighter. In all honesty I had no illusions of "saving my fellow man" or "giving something back to the community" or fullfilling some lifelong dream. Basically, I needed a secure, steady job. Growing up, it was always drilled into my head that without a college education or trade, civil service employment was the way to go. To me that meant police or fire. I planned on taking both exams but the fire test came up first and I was lucky enough to be appointed before even taking the police exam. That was 29 years ago and I have never once had any regrets.

------------------
    Mike Gentili, Capt.
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

Leave a comment:

• capt 49-4
    Guest replied
    Also 3rd generation, love it!

Leave a comment:

• Eng522ine
    Guest replied
    1) Growing up watching EMERGENCY!

2) My grandpa was a vol.FF in a department that had a code system for the whistle. Every block of every street had a code, I used to sit there deciphering the code and jump on my bike to see if I could beat them to the call (it was a REALLY small town). After a while I had the code all figured out and my grandpa wouldn't bother looking at the code sheet to see where the call was, he'd just ask me. There's actually a picture somewhere around my grandparents house of me at 8 leaning on my bike, holding the code sheet at a call with my grandpa's helmet on.

Leave a comment:

• PMThor
    Guest replied
    When I was growing up I lived in a house that borded on a very wooded area. I would say that about the time I was 6 years old the woods caught on fire. I remember from that time the fire was pretty well contained and I was lying in bed looking into the woods at my bedtime (at dusk). It was fairly dark but I could see some of the hotspots still being dealt with by the firefighters. The silhouette of those guys in the woods stuck with me. It was my first experience ever with firefighting and peaked my interest at a very young age. Thus here I am.

Leave a comment:

• lady_in_turnouts
    Guest replied
    My mom was a cop, and was friends with a lot of ff's. And my grandpa is a "firenut". He would sit by the scanner and when a good call was going down would grab me and we would go watch(he couldnt join because of health restrictions).Just the sounds of the sirens and the roar of the engine would get me running. Then when I was 17 I joined the Navy, started doing firefighting there and loved it. Been doing it ever since, and my heart still races and I love the thrill of it, even after all these years. Nothing like it in the world.

Leave a comment:

• NFDLT55
    Guest replied
    Firefighting is in the blood.
    3rd Generation firefighter here. Hopefully if i have son/adughter, he/she will be the fourth.

Leave a comment:

• cfr3504
    Guest replied
    I grew up in it. I can't imagine life with out it. My stepdad is a volunteer when he married my mom, I was 5. I was always at the station. When I turned 16 and was able to join as a Jr. being brought up for membership went something like this. The chief said " Well he's 16 now, I guess we should make it official, y'all ready to vote?" And that was it.

Leave a comment:

• BucksEng91
    Guest replied
    A combination of "Emergency" and more importantly my dad being a fireman in Philadelphia (I got to hang out at the station a lot!).

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Leave a comment:

• 570eck
    Guest replied
    Yep, it's a family thing. 3rd gen also. My dad was always called the bear and now even though we live quite a distance apart and quite some time has pasted whenever I visit his station I'm still the cub. I guess when you're around it when you're younger you can't help but want to be in it when you can.

Leave a comment:

• WTFDFF10
    Guest replied
    My initial interest was from the time I was 10 or so by a combination of "Emergency", a cousin that was an Air Force FF/Medic and neighbors that were volunteers.

Got away from it for many years with family, job, etc. and also living in a city with a career dept. that didn't seem to hire much.

Finally got back to it last year when we moved to a suburb with a volunteer dept.

Now I'm sorry I wasted those 22 years

[This message has been edited by WTFDFF10 (edited 05-14-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• PlattsFire1
    Guest replied
    When it comes down to it, I was always just fascinated by fire trucks. Still am.

------------------
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• SFDE12
    Guest replied
    My desire came from watching "Emergency!" as a child.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X