This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting for points of entry/egress

Our department is looking for suggestions on a way to light up points of entry and egress into a building. We would like something quick and easy. It would also be used by teams entering a doorway on the interior of the building. Our thought is if the entry point was lighted it would enable the FF's to more rapidly find there way out should they become lost or disoriented. It would have to be low to be seen under any smoke. If it also emmitted some type of noise it may help orient the FF's. Any ideas would be appreciated. THANKS!!

Steve, I remember a while ago seeing a product Fire Engineering called the T.E.D or target exit device. I don't know if anyone implemented it but it seemed pretty well built. It lit up, emitted sound and was designed so you could flip it over or stick against a corner and it wouldn't prevent the unit from working as it had bars on the outside to keep it away from things. I think and I could be wrong but I am sure it was a truckie in FDNY that designed it

Comment

Ever heard of a Cylume light stick. They cost about $1.50 each and are a light emitting chemical encased in a plastic tube. Breaking the glass tube contained inside causes the chemicals to mix and light to be emitted. They produce no heat, and can be hung in a doorway or layed on the floor. Also, if you have a number of them you can hang them on door knobs, hinges or other objects to mark entry and exit pathways.

They are also a good replacement for flares when you want to mark something and can't have an open flame. SCUBA divers use them to mark themselves on night dives, and they are great to have in a backpack in case you get lost/stuck out in the woods at night.

Comment

If you are doing sar in a room, place your battle lantern (light facing inward) at the doorway. It's bright, low and since you'll probably be doing sar with a partner, if need be you can use the other lantern while your searching.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X