Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a city commissioner faced with several decisions that will have some impact on my city's firefighters, I am seeking information from those who can tell me the REAL scoop. My questions are any input good or bad about the "quint" fire trucks which we are considering to replace our engine, and tower trucks with? Also anyone with any knowledge of how the ISO rate system works and who I can contact to gain information about my city here in central Florida.

Before even considering a quint concept, lay out clear plans on how they will be used, who will have what responsibilities, etc...

Don't use them to cut manpower. While the capabilities of the individual companies will increase on the fireground, fewer companies will decrease overall effectiveness.

When a quint goes out of service for repairs, etc.. you now have lost an engine AND a ladder. Consider the impact on reserve apparatus.

A number of quints in service don't do engine OR truck work well. (reduced ladders, hose, tank size, storage space) Some that do are too large to work in some areas. Firefighter input is essential to figure out what the rigs need to do.

Good luck, Im sure you'll get much more input from those with good and bad experiences.

Comment

Quints are a good thing if you use them the right way. You do get credit for an engine and half a truck or vice versa so if you get say 4 you may get iso credit for 6.

The departments that have been running all quints like st louis probably best can tell you how they operate and give you some sop's.

For good ISO information you want to talk to larry stevens his website is www.isoslayer.com
      if you do exactly what he says your iso will drop bigtime. You may be able even get to one.

Comment

Read March 2001 Fire Engineering (can you type that name in this forum) there is an article about quints. If you do decide to go with the quints, make sure they can do both jobs and staff them with 6 firefighters.

My personal opinion is this: I am against Quints I am a traditional firefighter and I believe in truck work and engine work. it is not wise to water both jobs down. Like I said this is MY opinion.

David Polikoff

------------------
        Visit the Firefighters Page at www.workingfire.net

[This message has been edited by David Polikoff (edited 05-11-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader