This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kissing wife goodbye?

Do any of you guys kiss your wife goodbye before you leave for work, knowing that you may never see her again.

She's not my wife, but I still kiss her before every shift, and our daughter as well, telling them both that I love them.

Comment

Every time I leave the house on a run(am a volunteer)I make a point of telling my wife I love her - I don't give any thought that I might never see her again but I do know that in this job there is no such thing as a routine run and sometimes we just don't know what is going to happen. When I was a FF in the Air force I made a point when I left for work to do the same. I know this is not and easy subject for some of us to discuss but it is an important one. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jeff

Comment

Absolutely! After all, who plans on not coming back? God forbid anything ever happens to me, but if it does, at least my last words to my wife will be I love you.

Comment

Absolutely. You never know when your number will come up. Even in middle of the night, I will kiss my wife and tell her I love her. Remember that her number might come up, and I would feel awful if I didn't take that extra minute. Life is short.

------------------
          Scott

Comment

Every time the tones go off day or night I tell my wife I love her and give her a kiss!!

Comment

Not to sound mushy, but neither of us leave each other to go anywhere without kissing each other. I could get killed in a car wreck going to the store. I've never thought about not coming home, but I have had the I almost didn't.

Comment

Considering the amount of insurance between fed, state and local, my wife gives me a kiss and then says.."Everyone loves a hero!!"
                .. Hmmmmm .... I hope she was joking...

Comment

Whenever I leave the house for my local volunteer company I tell my parents I love them. I may only be a junior but I've seen some pretty bad things go down on the scene of fires over the course of my whole life and senior firefighters aren't the only ones in harm's way. Whenver my dad and I respond to calls for our company in the next town over I tell him I love him and give him a firm handshake before we split up. I know he's going to have a hard time sending me into the building next year, but that's something I guess he'll have to deal with.

Comment

I never say "goodbye" that's to final. I always say something like "I'll be back." or "I'll see you later." But that's my own superstition.

------------------
                    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
                    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
                    Station 18-3

Comment

before i leave the house on every call i tell my mom i love her and will see her later
                      when my dad and i respond togather i tell him i will see u later
                      2197 over and out
                      stay safe and have fun

Comment

I kiss my wife and daughter every day I leave for work, but the thought never enters my mind that I may never see her again. I tend to be an optomist, and prefer to believe in my mind, heart, and soul that I will see her again at 0700 the next morning.

------------------
                        FF. Mike Burnes
                        Whitehall Fire Division

Comment

EVERY time! You never know what will happen between the time you walk out the door and the time you return. I try to do it anytime I leave the house but make it a rule to do before leaving for work or a job!

Comment

Whenever my wife and I leave each other, we always say "I Love you", be it a Fire/Ems call, going to work or to the store. Like was said, you never know what's going to happen and I also want my last words to her to be "I Love You".

Comment

I'm like Engine18-3, I don't say "Good-bye" as that sounds too final. I kiss my wife and tell her, "Talk to you in the morning," and my daughter, who I tell, "See you tomorrow when I pick you up" (from the sitter's). Maybe it's superstitious, but that's how we do it.
                              I know she's not real thrilled with the volunteering, but she knows that I'm doing it for the "hands-on" to go with my degree, so I can get hired on full-time. And (which she agrees with me on) it doesn't matter where you are when HE decides it's your time.

Just my thoughts!

------------------
                              HazMat
                              ---
                              We gotta be nuts...we're running
                              in when the rats & roaches are
                              running out!
                              ---
                              Disclaimer:
                              These are my opinions, and only mine,
                              and do not reflect the views of my
                              department.