This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nomex shorts

Anyone out there know where I can get my hands on a pair of nomex shorts to wear under my turnout gear at night? I'm talking about something other than taking a pair of my station pants and cutting them off. Looking for something more like a pair of jogging shorts.

Thanks

TDahulich
    Binghamton Fire Dept
    IAFF Local 729

------------------

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing, but if you take some Nomex (hoods would work) to somebody that can sew, they should be able to make some. It wouldn't be that hard. All they'd need for a pattern is a pair of sweatpants that fit you.

Comment

I know that Darley used to sell Nomex sweat pants and sweat shirts, I don't know if that helps you, but I was always taught not to wear shorts, due to steam burns.

Comment

Rescue 21,

You can see if you can find a website for FDNY or find someone online from the dept. They wear Nomex shorts in the summer, but I do not know where they buy them from. Neptune, I've worn cotton shorts for years as a vollie, if you have a good vapor barrier, and if your like me and where zipper styly pro boots, you just have to make sure your pants don't ride up high when your on your knees.

--------------------------------------------
        THe above is my thought/opinions only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

We wear Nomex shorts in the summer. They are made by Olympic 206-722-1412 the sizes run small. They are expensive. I would stick with cotton. NFPA 1500 now recommends cotten.

[This message has been edited by lvfireman (edited 05-10-2001).]

Comment

lvfireman- thanks for the info. Olympic is sending me the info. Anyone from the FDNY out there that can provide info on where you get yours from?

Thanks
            TDahulich
            Binghamton Fire Dept
            IAFF Local 729

Comment

Just my Two Cents worth but I really don't Think Shorts should be worn under the Turn-Out Gear in the First Place --- Reason being Cotton, Nomex, Whatever what is protecting your legs below the Thigh Line ? Don't tell me your Bunker Pants --- I Have read Stories where firefighters have been burned through the bunkers and because they had shorts on lost skin and for the guys lost hair and burned Nadds is not how I want to walk around....My Chief has a Strict Policy on Shorts --- NO !! Responding to the Hall in Shorts Fine but once you get there have something on that gear rack to cover those legs...Preferibly cotton { Ie. Sweat Pants } We also must have at least a T-Shirt { No Tank Tops } Here is something I've Seen that bothers me...I Know we're into the Warmer months now and some days the heat is incredible but why do I see Shirtless Firefighters ? Suspenders over the bare Chest ? Makes no sense to me not to mention dangerous --- Our Gear protects us but is not Fire Proof contrary to popular belief -- As much protection as you can get under that gear should be worn --- Shorts is no way to protect your self --- Yeah you may think I'm Nuts and don't know what I'm Talking about and that is perfectly your right but ever since I got some nasty Steam Burns through my bunker pants a few years back { Because I had Shorts On } I've always had at least a pair of sweats since --- Sometimes it takes an injury to realize a potential danger

Just my $0.02 Worth

------------------
              STRATFORD FIRE CO. # 1 NEW JERSEY STATE FIREMEN'S CONVENTION OVER-ALL CHAMPIONS 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000 !!

Comment

Good post Brian!! I've never had a problem with shorts on and being interior. We only get to wear shorts if we are Pt'ing so its not often. I haven't heard any problems from friends of mine who are on the job with FDNY and they wear them almost every shift in the summer. Where I could forsee a problem is if you sweat or get the inside liner wet and go back in or get another job right after.

Comment

ALSFirefighter,...

I Have No problem with the Shorts ...wear them around the Station as much as you want...But have a pair of sweats near those bunkers...I don't remember where it happened maybe Phoenix or NYC but a couple of years ago I was attending a class at my fire academy and the instructor brought up a point about what is worn under turn-outs --- Story has it that two firefighters were weight training in the station when a box came in ... One Guy was in Shorts and the Other was in Cotton Sweat Pants....Upon Arrival thier assignment was to Vent, Enter, and Search which they did....Conditions deteriorated Quickly and they had to Bail Out
                  Both men suffered Burns but the One Wearing the Shorts Suffered Severe Damage to his un-mentionables along with loosing the Hair on his legs...What happened in there remains a mystery but accidents can happen and will happen when you least expect it --- The good thing over that whole incident is that both guys returned to work after months of P/T Again where exactly this happened I can't remember all I can remember is viewing the Slides of the Guys when they arrived at the Burn Center. The reason we don't wear them is not only for safety but our Insurance Carrier will not pay out benifits if the Injured Member is found to be wearing shorts under the bunkers...It's actually listed in the policy binder we have....I'm not saying it will happen to you and god for bid I hope it never does but 2 extra seconds to throw on a pair of pants or sweats is a small price to pay to keep the skin on your legs...

Peace and Stay Safe Out there !!!

------------------
                  STRATFORD FIRE CO. # 1 NEW JERSEY STATE FIREMEN'S CONVENTION OVER-ALL CHAMPIONS 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000 !!

Comment

It's funny that this topic popped up - I was just wondering about this the other night. Once I hit the rack, I usually wear a pair of shorts so that I don't have to fumble around in the dark if I have to go hit the head in the middle of the night. In case we get punched out, I keep a pair of cotton slacks (Walmart special, but they're cheap, comfortable and the right color! ;->) I've never heard any of the guys say "You have to wear x, y or z under your bunker pants", but I'd always wondered about the burn thing if the pants rode up on your boots. Bunker pants would probably go on easier with shorts, but I like my `nads intact and operational, along with the hairy legs, for years to come! ;-)
                    Just my thoughts!

------------------
                    HazMat
                    ---
                    We gotta be nuts...we're running
                    in when the rats & roaches are
                    running out!
                    ---
                    Disclaimer:
                    These are my opinions, and only mine,
                    and do not reflect the views of my
                    department.

Comment

You might want to review the instructions that come with your bunker gear. I recall reading in these that the manufacturer recommends wearing clothing beneath the gear, not just the gear. Your fire gear is not meant the be "clothes", it is a protective device to wear over your clothes.

Comment

Our department's summer uniform is shorts and a golf type shirt. Last year I posted a similar question regarding wearing shorts on duty. Several of the same questions I had are resurfacing. Yes, the shorts are comfortable and more feasible, especially when responding to emergencies on the beach. Do they provide as much protection? I don't think so. I think part of what you need to look at is your department's policy. In my department, I don't have a choice, so I wear shorts under my turnout pants. You need to go with what works best for you.

Comment

When the FDNY went to bunker gear over the 3/4 boots and long coats burn injuries went down, but heat stress injuries went through the roof...Members noticed it was more cumbersome to operate, crawl, walk up highrises, negotiate fire escapes, etc..As a trade off shorts became part of the uniform, and have been adopted as pretty much a year round kind of deal..It is easier to move, somewhat cooler, and after a good job, you don't have soaked pants sticking to your legs and other parts...As far as burns..like I said, burn injuries are down...Several other Departments in the area have followed, at least for the summer seasons, like Mt. Vernon and more recently Yonkers, both in Westchester County. Some may gripe about contamination on EMS runs, with bare legs. Problem solved by wearing bunker pants...EMS must wear long pants because they have no bunker pants..Besides, it lets us show off our tatoos!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X