------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplorerpost6/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well I guess its time for me to disagree with you Nate. We are a rural department in a town of 2000 and ran 32 calls last year. We have a limit of 25 for membership and curently have 23. As you can see its tough to stay fully manned out here in the boonies. Yes if we said NO beer at all we'd lose a few members. Yes we have strict regs on consumtion as to when and where. Yes you are told NOT to respond if you've been drinking. Yes we'd leave your *** at the station during a meeting if you've been drinking. Yes I have had members removed from the scene for being drunk. Yes I have sent memebers to sit in a rig because they'd been drinking. Does this cause a lack of respect for us from the public? No. They understand that these volunteers have a life beyond the fire service and that they are on call 24-7. Its a fact of life that we have had for years and I'm afraid we always will have. Do I like it? NO. For the record I seldom drink. But those of you who say NO without exception are living in the Shangri-La where everything is perfect. This is the real world and it sure as hell isn't perfect. If these guys were getting paid to do this I'd have the right to tell them no without excepttions. If you can find me 25 great firefighters who never drink send them to me. But as long as they are not on the job fighting fires I have to let them live their life. When the pager goes off then I become God ( don't take offense people just making a point here!) and I can set them on their butt as they watch the rest of us drive away in the Big Red Trucks.

------------------
    I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My department used to have the vending machine with the beer selection avaiable. Like some others have said, most of the guys who used it were not interested in making calls anyway. It was usually the older guys hanging around after meetings, playing cards, and having a few cold ones. In all the time that it was there, I've never heard of an incident. The beer has been gone for about 20 years now and it is a non-issue. If you've been drinking at home and a call comes in...STAY HOME. It's not a tough decision.

------------------
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My department used to have the vending machine with the beer selection avaiable. Like some others have said, most of the guys who used it were not interested in making calls anyway. It was usually the older guys hanging around after meetings, playing cards, and having a few cold ones. In all the time that it was there, I've never heard of an incident. The beer has been gone for about 20 years now and it is a non-issue. If you've been drinking at home and a call comes in...STAY HOME. It's not a tough decision.

------------------
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Personally, i don't think there should be alcohol in the firehouse at all. I understand that you could implement guidelines, monitor things yada yada yada. However, if you really feel it is neccessary to go through all this, ask yourself what you're getting out of it. A Beer. do you really need one that badly? how would you feel if you walked into a hospital and saw a nurse, regardless of wether she was caring to patients or not, having a cold one on her break. Or how bout if you swung by the police station and saw one of the "old timers" pounding down a few budweisers. There is no reason for beer/alcohol in any firehouse. If you need a drink that badly, wait till you're off duty. and , for vollies, are you allowed to drink at your day jobs? why should this be different?

------------------
    "You go..... we go"
    Shawn
    8th Utilities District
    Manchester CT

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't feel it's appropriate for beer to be consumed by personnel in a firehouse setting. I've seen people almost get into fist fights when they were told they couldn't go on "the big one" because they'd had a few beers.

There is a department in my county that has a soda machine with beer in it. Our department had one too until the members realized what a liability it was. I'm not saying to demolish all of the bars in the vollie depts. Like it was previously stated, many use their halls for banquets or receptions.

I think what it boils down to is the liability you will face if one of your members crashes their car or an engine after having a beer at the station. That is a situation which the media will definitely exploit. It could harm your department's reputation for years to come. Not to mention kill or maim a brother firefighter or a citizen.

Don't think I am against beer. I drink it too. But at home or at a bar. And then I don't respond to any calls for that night.

Finally, as for Nate Marshall. I'm from the East Coast and luckily I realize you don't represent the fine men and women of the fire service on the West Coast. Your poisonous barbs against fellow firefighters are disgraceful. You'll be lucky if your own troops don't turn against you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nate YOU'RE the kind of person the Fire Service doesn't need.
    I guess you don't believe in respecting the opinions of other Brothers or the Brotherhood itself. Do you have any FF's left with all the ones you want to show the door?

Anyway my FD has a liquor license but that is because we have a Hall that we use to rent out for some extra $$$.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nate... since you and you're prize winning attitude are so close to the door... why not get the hell out? Either that or try to realize that there MIGHT be an opinion BESIDES YOURS that is either correct or at the very least has merit and might be worth a little consideration.

As a note... I'm not just referring to this thread, I'm referring to almost every thread that you post your degrading, negative, unproductive, closed-minded ideas and opinions on. Why not grow up and act like an adult and try to discuss matters and opinions intelligently and with an open mind. Try not to continue acting like an 18 y/o kid fresh out of fire school with a know-it-all attitude because you are doing no one any good.

Stay safe all.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The people that defend this are the ones who shouldnt be in the fire service. Heres the door, go drink on your own time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm a career firefighter, never been a volunteer, so my perspective may be a little different. Why would anyone ever give the public or local government a reason to dislike the fire department? Budgets are already tight enough without risking cuts to 'those drunken firemen'. So you're a district and don't deal with local government problems. Don't ever expect to pass a tax increase or bond issue. I don't care if your department has three bars and a dog that pee's beer. It has to stop, now. Just because 'that's the way it's always been' is no reason to continue. I'm sure no one runs a steamer cuz that's the way it used to be. In an era of tight budgets, increased liabilities and lawsuits, fire departments have to protect themselves in every way possible. How this topic got this far, or even that someone defends drinking in the firehouse, is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

------------------
    NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As others have said... this topic has be debated before - several times.

As for my opinion - No

And here is the website RS-1 was talking about on page 1 of this topic
    http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/fs000066.pdf

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nate, if we were in gym class together, I'd pee on you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    NONONONONONONONONO

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For the person requesting information about getting rid of alcohol. I would look in your states statutes regarding liqour licensing and see what the regs are. To dispense you may have to have a license even if it's free (I could be wrong).

If you have some statutes and stuff to back you up I would then show it to your immediate officer in chain of command and pass it to the chief. Tell them you really have a problem with this and ask if he can do something about this.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X