Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the majority on this subject, the fire house or the fire ground is not a place to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. My department has a drug and alcohol policy in place that give clear protocols in dealing with this subject, ie: coming on duty under the influence or consuming of on duty. Stay Safe.

Comment

This is an easy one....NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone want to even think about bring alcohol into the station. This is something i have no toleration for! There is too many other areas alcohol can be drank. Just think about the next time you tip a cold one back at the station and a family brings by their little boy or girl cause they want to be a fireman and just want to see the fire trucks. Just how good is that gonna look?

------------------
      Captain James Collier
      McMahan Fire Rescue
      KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Comment

we have a soda,that vends beer machine in our firehouse and i am totally against it but have no way of doing anything since iny my company there are 25 members and about 5 of us dont drink at the firehouse. i hate when i respond to a call and see three cars in the lot, thinking that ill have a crew, but then i go in and there are three DRUNKS slobbering on themselves and then i only roll with myself and a driver if im lucky.. i pretty sure itsn not legal for it to be in a vending machine, but i knows it not legal to be in the apparatus room.. does anyone know how i can get rid of it??
        any help would be appreciated

[This message has been edited by postal79 (edited 05-08-2001).]

Comment

In Monmouth NJ most of the firehouses have bars with taps and soda vending machines with beer. The saying was that "a firehouse was built around the bar." When I started we all drank whenever we wanted, before, during and after calls. The people didn't mind because they were in small towns and we did something for them for free. Hell, during hydrant snow shovelling duty people used to give us blackberry brandy to "stay warm" as we went to hydrants between calls. After fires people used to give us all kinds of beer and liquor thanking us. Unfortunately those were the days. Because of people getting blitzed and getting into accidents it's over. Safety is first. It wasn't right to do what we did, but nowadays our public image is vital.
          I know Ocean has firehouses that are dry.
          Drinking at functions isn't bad just as long as there are duty crews in case something happens.
          Just my $0.02, nothing more.

Comment

I'm sorry I just feel it inappropriate that there be any type of alcohol in the Firehouse what so ever,

Comment

Engine 33... no need to appologize... it's your opinion and you're entitled to it the same way I'm entitled to mine. Even though we do seem to disagree on this one. Stay safe all.

Comment

I feel that it should be a big, hearty "NO"

There are plenty of departments in my area that have it. God help them when they get caught. I will not be a part of it.

There is no place in the fire service for alcohol. I do not care if you are vol, POC, or Paid. The "We fight fire for Beer" mentality went out with saving basements as far as acceptability is concerned. Any department that feels this is something they deserve should get a waiver signed by each and every taxpayer that they serve before they allow it. I am sure after you explain that your department could be effectively shut down once or twice a month due to intoxication, they will gladly support you.

Someone mentioned that the group that had been consuming would not respond. Okay- I challenge you with this scenario, it CAN happen to you.

It is a meeting night at the Fire Hall. The meeting has adjourned and now a few, maybe as many as 8 people have chosen not to drink. Lets say that there are a remaining 25 members there that have began to imbibe, and your department is toned out for a structure fire in a two-story home that has been converted into a duplex. Law Enforcement is on scene and confirms heavy fire showing on 3 sides, and is unable to confirm occupancy. Dispatch tells you that there are cars in the driveway and the occupants have not been accounted for.

Plan number one- send two crews-8 people that are sober, and call for mutual aid. The town is starting to empty onto the sidewalk to see this fire, some getting into their cars to come to the scene to gawk or to see if they can console their friend and neighbors. As they drive past the open doors of your station, they see a group standing around with drinks in hand, and only two pieces of apparatus out of the house. They think to themselves,"it can't be too bad then" only to see a fully involved structure and 8 people doing a surround and drown on a burn that still has unconfirmed victims. Word travels fast as they tell their friends and onlookers about the group at the fire station that must be coming soon to help. That group never shows up, Mutual Aid arrives from however many miles away and helps in the surround and drown and then helps to find the bodies of the 4 adults and 5 children and 2 dogs that died in the fire. Hey- at least you did not send out the drinking members-that would be illegal. Let the lynching begin.

Plan number 2- The department upon hearing the severity of the call and the potential victims, launches all pieces of apparatus with full crews and turns a blind eye to the responders being under the influence. While enroute, the second responding engine turns the corner and at the same time, a child that is chasing the fire apparatus darts out and the impaired driver of this piece is unable to react quickly enough. The child is hit, and killed. An investigation reveals that the driver had alcohol on his breath, tested with a BAC of .09 % and the child was that of the officer on the truck that hit him, who is also under the influence. The remaining responders stop at your scene, forgetting about the fire they were enroute to for a moment, and the crew that had arrived on scene first, established a water supply, and was waiting with a charged line for backup, decided to gain entry and search for victims. They split up to try to make a large search area in a hurry, and this, leaving the officer of that truck on his own to search the room right by the front door, leads to the death of that officer, who became disoriented in the smoke combined with his own intoxication. An autopsy reveals his alcohol level at the time of death to be a mere .79, but it is enough to deny his family the death benefit for being a line of duty death.

Plan number 3- Don't allow it. At all. Period. Thats it. Would you allow your doctor to operate drunk? Would you allow your police to patrol drunk? No, of course not.

Yes- I know this is a rather long post. I am not trying to preach, but by the same token, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I know that not everyone can commit to being sober 100% 24/7. I feel that the individuals that are under the influence need to stay home, and that no consumption should be allowed in the fire station at all.

I have heard some people from departments around here say that if they cut the alcohol off, that a lot of people will quit. My answer- Buhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bye.

Just my opinion, Sorry for the length.

------------------
                Take it easy, but be sure to take it!!
                Jim

Comment

For the person requesting information about getting rid of alcohol. I would look in your states statutes regarding liqour licensing and see what the regs are. To dispense you may have to have a license even if it's free (I could be wrong).

If you have some statutes and stuff to back you up I would then show it to your immediate officer in chain of command and pass it to the chief. Tell them you really have a problem with this and ask if he can do something about this.

Comment

NONONONONONONONONO

Comment

Nate, if we were in gym class together, I'd pee on you.

Comment

As others have said... this topic has be debated before - several times.

As for my opinion - No

And here is the website RS-1 was talking about on page 1 of this topic
                        http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/fs000066.pdf

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

------------------
                          NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

Comment

I'm a career firefighter, never been a volunteer, so my perspective may be a little different. Why would anyone ever give the public or local government a reason to dislike the fire department? Budgets are already tight enough without risking cuts to 'those drunken firemen'. So you're a district and don't deal with local government problems. Don't ever expect to pass a tax increase or bond issue. I don't care if your department has three bars and a dog that pee's beer. It has to stop, now. Just because 'that's the way it's always been' is no reason to continue. I'm sure no one runs a steamer cuz that's the way it used to be. In an era of tight budgets, increased liabilities and lawsuits, fire departments have to protect themselves in every way possible. How this topic got this far, or even that someone defends drinking in the firehouse, is beyond me.

Comment

The people that defend this are the ones who shouldnt be in the fire service. Heres the door, go drink on your own time.

Comment

Nate... since you and you're prize winning attitude are so close to the door... why not get the hell out? Either that or try to realize that there MIGHT be an opinion BESIDES YOURS that is either correct or at the very least has merit and might be worth a little consideration.

As a note... I'm not just referring to this thread, I'm referring to almost every thread that you post your degrading, negative, unproductive, closed-minded ideas and opinions on. Why not grow up and act like an adult and try to discuss matters and opinions intelligently and with an open mind. Try not to continue acting like an 18 y/o kid fresh out of fire school with a know-it-all attitude because you are doing no one any good.

Stay safe all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X