Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good rule of thumb is for every beer you have (3.2 included) you should not drive nor respond for 4-6 hours.

Beer is a bad idea for any department, if there is an annual picnic or event you should take your department out of service and ask your mutual aid partners for coverage, most will help you out if you return the favor.

Comment

You guys will hate this then..

Many vollie houses on LI let members drink in the members room at any time and during meetings.

There is liquor on the bar and beer in machine and on tap.

The rule is that you may not get on a rig if you have consumed at all.

Most of the drinking is done by the old timers who dont ride and wish that it was like 1957 still.

Id say that ALMOST EVERY firehouse on Long Island has a bar right in it. The rules are different from place to place. It is up to the members to be responsible and not ride while drinking.

Personally, I dont want to ride with a drunk chauffer, nor do I want a drunk coming to get me...

But many a good rescue has been made by a guy who was in the cups.. who has liquid courage and made a difference because they were "uninhibited".... but it is a 2 way street and im sure some people have gotten hurt or worse because of it..

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 05-06-2001).]

Comment

In my opinion it shouldn't be allowed. I now belong to two different fire departments. They both have different views on the situation. I have belonged to the one for over 10 years and that entire time it has been a "dry" company, and I think things have worked out better because of it.The other company does allow alcohol. They have a 2 beer limit before you can't respond. This make me feel at the very least uneasy, if I'm going to trust my life in other's hands, I want them to be sober. A fellow firefighter and a friend of mine from a neighboring department was killed about 5 years ago when he was driving their engine responding to an accident. He was legally intoxicated at the time. Still want to have that beer before you go out on the next run? Not me.
        Randall Guntrum FF/EMT

If lights, siren and air horn do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme

Comment

Hey guys... you all seem to focus right to going on calls intoxicated. How about when you're at the firehouse and there is no call? I don't know about your companies but, there's usually a few guys hanging around my station on weeknights and weekends just shooting pool or relaxing, is it wrong for them to be able to have a beer there? I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to, as long as they aren't riding. Our firehouse, which has a bar in it, is owned by the company, not the town, so it's not like it's public property or anything. As long as sound judgment is used there are no problems.

CousinVinny... you are probably right about the fact that is HAS happened. Just because it HAS happened though, doesn't mean that it SHOULD happen. I support my department's policy of a 30 day suspension for anyone that so much as TRIES to get on apparatus after they've been drinking. If anything I think that the suspension should be longer but, it works great as a deterrent for us. Be safe.

Comment

I suppose this issue revolves around volunteer departments, since I know of no career department where consumption is allowed. Maybe this is part of a career department's public image. The vollies should aspire to the same level of professionalism as career departments, and not allow beer on firehall property. Sounds like an argument of logic more than anything else.
            We do have calls during our meetings, so I can't relate to departments that don't run many calls using inactivity as an excuse to chug-a-lug a draft.
            Do we have guys who drink on our department? Yep, and I used to be one of them. But we don't allow response for 4 hours or more after the last consumption. No alcohol at any of our properties is allowed, either. Firehalls are for emergency services; bars are for drinking. You don't drive by bars and see them shining up a LaFrance, do ya?

"Just my opinion - it ought to be yours..."
            Robert D. Rayford, Johnboy & Billy Radioshow

Comment

In my opinion........No, there should be no beer in a station. I don't know of any vollie dept. around where I live that has beer in there station either. If you want to drink, you go to a bar, if you want to fight fires you go the fire station. Simple as that. We have plenty of guys that hang out in our dept. and play pool and watch t.v., but we don't need beer to do it.

Comment

To me this is a BIG NO! We want our communities to look up to us not think we are drunks, RIGHT? Even if there are strict rules on alchol in or around the station, it's wrong. Shouldn't we as Firefighters be role modles for our youngsters? Or would we rather have them think of us as they do of the WWF wrestlers "Stone Cold Steve Austin"? Lets be responsible and get the beer out of the stations. Neither my career or volunteer department will ever allow this activity and I agree.

Comment

We have had a no alcohol policy in effect for years. Both in house and on scene etc. It seems to be working. I have a question for the members of departments that do allow consumption in the station house. How do the members who have been drinking get home after the meetings or pool shooting sessions?
                  If they drive, doesn't the department have some liability if they are involved in an accident?

------------------
                  Be Safe
                  Dan

Comment

In our station we do not allow alcohol to be kept there. We allow alcohol to be brought in for special meals/parties,while one of our other companies or neighboring dept's cover for us. Then removed afterwards. In todays fire service, we cant afford to take on the liability issue of drinking and responding to calls. On our dept if you even have an odor of alcohol at a fire scene, it will be investigated, and dealt with through legal actions.
                    I guess the best thing to do is drink responsibly, or don't drink at all.

------------------
                    Scott

Comment

Being that our FD is part of the City we abide by all City regulations No Smoking is permitted in the firehouse or in any of the vehicles and drinking of alcoholic beverages is NOT permitted and NEVER will be

Thats the last thing we need is firefighters showing up wasted or let alone driving a 100,000 dollar Engine

NO You can smoke and drink all you want OFF Duty but remember it's not good for you,

Comment

Just about every Volunteer Firehouse in the NYC area has a bar in it. It has never been the cause of any problem. The members are responsible when it comes to drinking and know if the bells go off that they will not respond to the call.

I think the bars in the VOLUNTEER FIREHOUSES are great. I don't approve of drinking on the job if you are in a Paid Firehouse.

Comment

Thank-You Eng522ine..for Re-Enforcing my point....I appriceiate it

BD

Comment

I think beer and other alcoholic beverages should not be allowed in a firehouse. In my firehouse no alcoholic beverages are allowed in. One reason is because the drivers for the company might get too wasted and crash the truck while responding to a call.

Comment

There has always been and I would probably say that there will always be beer in the fire station. I can't think of a fire station in the county or any other surrounding departments where there isn't beer in the fire station. It's hard enough to get the volunteers and I'm afraid if you took the beer away we would lose over half of them. It's probably not the safest or the smartest thing to be doing but I bet it never changes.

Comment

Brian... anytime....Cheers... lol

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...