Suggestion for a new helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for a new helmet?

Hello everyone, I am thinking about buying my own helmet. I am leaning towards the Cairns 1000, or the Cairns 1010. Any insights on these two helmets or any other helmets similar to these is greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Adam J. Dorn

These are my opinions and not of any group or org. that i belong to.

I'll admit, I'm not the expert on this, because I've never actually fought fire in anything other than a Cairns 660, or a Bullard Firedome. But I've tried on several helmets that others have. In my opinon, I'd don't think you'll go wrong with a 1000, or 1010. I know a couple of guys that have them, and they are nice helmets, considering getting one myself.(when extra funds allow) The Bullard Traditional helmet is heavier than the Cairns, from what I've seen, but still a good looking helmet. As far as leather, I don't have much experience with it and can't make any recommendations.

Just my un-educated opinion

Comment

I own 2 Bullard CXT's, the traditional style that has since been replaced by the UST, and could not be happier with them. I know some guys that have 1010's and they are nice as well, but the weight difference is minimal. It really comes down to price. I've been quoted a price of $189 for a new UST whereas the 1010's are $279 or more. Either way, they're both fine helmets. I just happen to like my Bullards. Good luck.

------------------
      Lt. D. Gordon
      Greendale Fire Department
      Greendale, IN

Comment

One word... Moo! Leather, if you can afford it is the way to go. I will add that the Cairns 1010 is a great helmet, while I've seen the Bullards fail under conditions that they should be able to endure. I've even seen them break when stepped on by the wee ones... not too strong, in my opinion.

Comment

If your looking for a good price on a cairns 1000 or 1010 check out www.thefirestore.com, they have cairns starting at 189.00.

I really like the cairns 1010, I used one at my prior depatment and loved it, just need the funds to get my own.

Comment

Cairns N5 New Yorker with the Bourkes. Nothing else.

------------------
            J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

I have owned / worn a 1010 for almost 2 years now and although we only see about 100 calls/year and not every call is a "Lid Wearer" - I couldn't be happier with mine.

I picked it up at Expo '99 for $169 w/ Goggles. Added the carved Eagle Front holder (~$40), a Paul Conway Shield (~$40 ) and a Peilcan 4AA flashlight.

My only "gripe" is I don't like the goggle system - and that is MY preference - you may love them (Note that's not the EES goggles - haven't tried them yet)

I currently use ANSI Safety Glasses for Eye protection and (if I don't like the EES goggles) am planning on adding Bourkes after this Expo.

There ya go - my opinion on that Lid. Now - my advise to you is forget everything you read here and get what fits & feels good to you and is within your budget.

Take Care - Stay Safe
              Stephen
              FF/Paramedic

Comment

Anyone using the Paul Conway American Classic?

I've seen it listed for $179 and I'd like to know how it compares to the Cairns 1010.

Comment

Try a Paul Conway. They are made great and fit great. ~

------------------
                  Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

Comment

I've never had to buy a new helmet in 18 years...probably because I started with leather. Still have the same N5A, the only thing thats changed is the color a couple times and the shields.

Comment

The 1010 is a nice helmet as well as the 1000. The 1000 is more of a kevlar composite, thus it is a little pricier. Of course....for me, the choice is LEATHER. Slap a 5A on your noggin and you can't go wrong.

Leather Forever!

FTM-PTB-EGH
                      www.foolsinternational.com www.intercom.net/user/shooty

Comment

I use a Paul Conway Leather helmet. It was a gift for Christmas this last year and it has been a great helmet. It is heavier than the Cairns N6A which is NFPA compliant. I use the goggle system and keep them stored in what is called a "goggle garage" on the rear brim of the helmet. Before using this Leather helmet, I used a department issued Lion Legion. For a composite traditional helmet it was terrific. Very light weight and a low ride fit. I am convinced that if you want a helmet that will last your firefighting career, go LEATHER. As long as you take care of it, it will outlast you.
                        These are my thoughts and do not reflect on the department which I am employed by.

Comment

Currently I wear a 1010. great helmet, only one problem-ITS NOT LEATER!!! in two weaks that'll all change. No, really, for being a salad bowl, its not a bad helmet. Stay safe. Peace!

------------------
                          Matt
                          Newtown Fire Association
                          Station 45

Comment

Cairns N660C. I like it. It works.

Comment

I use cow. On my feet and my head. C&B N5A, love it and will never go back.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X