This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggest some changes in ISO ratings

I see many complaints on how the ISO grades each town. Should there be separates grading systems for volunteer and career departments? What would be a good change. InTexas if you have a cafs on a class A engine it helps for extra points. Should this be in every state?

I think ISO is going to change anyway, for the most part they are watching what State Farm does.

I think maybe career should get a class elevation (for example class 7 to 6) but not much more.

I also think you should factor in whether ir not a community has adopted the uniform fire code or equivelant.

As for CAFS I think that should count like it does in Texas, as well as other things like thermals etc that can end up saving insurance companies money.

Comment

I think ISO should be left alone as far as career vs. volunteer. ISO is a performance based setup (at least as I understand it) and doesn't care about paid vs vollie. I take that back... If memory serves, volunteer slots are based on the averages on a first alarm turnout. Ok, whatever. I still think that it should be left alone. As far as the rest, sure, give credit for CAFS, TIC's, etc.

------------------

Let us never, ever forget those of us that have gone before us in the line of duty. Because those brave souls have given all, it is up to us to always keep them alive in our hearts and our memories.

FTM-PTB

[This message has been edited by Jolly Roger (edited 05-02-2001).]

Comment

I would like to make a few comments here. Cities put a lot of value on their ISO rating. I had the opportunity to be the Officer responsible for the ISO procedure in my city. I use the word opportunity tongue in cheek. It was very arduous process. It required gathering reams of "documentation" of things like training, maintenance, manning, hydrant and hose testing. It required detailed inventories of apparatus and equipment. After all was said and done it seemed so pointless.

If you are not aware, ISO ratings provide insurance companies a rate factor for setting community insurance rates. There seems to be little effect on residential rates, but it is more significant for commercial or industrial rates. That is why cities take an interest in the ISO rating. A Class I or II rating is attractive for enticing commercial and industrial development. Ratings are based on the City Fire Department, Water Department and Communications Center. Each is graded and the city receives a combined score.

There seems to be a move afoot to move away from ISO ratings. A national accreditation is being explored and developed. It would certify a fire department based on more realistic criteria. Police departments already are certified under a very similar plan.

Having been responsible for pulling together all the information necessary for ISO grading, I can tell you this, grading results can be arbitrary and quite frankly, is dependent on the relationship you have with the grader. Smoozing for a good grading seemed to be expected. The single grader process is flawed. An accreditation "team" comprised of experts in a number of areas would make the process a fair evaluation a city's ability to provide a suitable service. I personally believe it is time for a change.

These comments and this perspective is a personal opinion and does not necessarily reflex the view of my department.

------------------
        Stay Low!
        Captain B

Comment

//There seems to be a move afoot to move away from ISO ratings. A national accreditation is being explored and developed.

Well, the insurasnce industry has no interest in Accredidation having turned it down everytime it is suggested. Not a single state legislature has made any action to get out of ISO.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X