This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on ISO

I was looking for some help with how to upgrade our ISO rating from a 7 to at least a 5. We are in east central New Mexico our first response area is 400 sq. mi. with mutual aid to 6 other departments the closest of which is 16 miles the fartherest about 40. Our units are as follows: a 1250/1000 pumper a 300/250 minipumper and a compliment of a tankers sizes are 4000/300, 3000/300, 2000/300, 2000/500. These units are also assisted by a personnel carrier and a BLS equipt ambulance. We have 15 members and some fire hydrants(about 15) with about 65000 of storage. I do not have the fire flow for the town but know we will probaly have to have more storage. We are looking at a 4000/1250 pumper and a 4000/300 tanker to replace the 3000/300 tanker.

Any help is appreciated also just ask questions on this thread I will try to check back daily

Thanks!!

All opinions are my own and do not reflect any opinion of any org. I am involved with.

[This message has been edited by d308 (edited 05-02-2001).]

//I was looking for some help with how to upgrade our ISO rating from a 7 to at least a 5.

You currently have the ability to move 646 gpm. That is why you have a Class 7. Increasing your water supply is the key.

Step 1. Download the free book at: www.isoslayer.com

Step 2. Then call Michael Slusher at 800 244 6702 at your state fire marshal's office. Tell him you need help.

You have more motivation than any other state reading this beccause your state will give you money every year forever and no interst loans to improve your rating.

Step 3 The quickest way to get money to add water storage in your state is to open up another fire station. If you park your mini pumper for example in a building (you don't have to own it but it needs tobe heated) 7 to 10 miles from your existing fire house the state will give you $13,670 a year forever. Find someone with a barn you can park the mini in.

As a Class 7 the state pays you $38,848 plus $13,670 for each additional station each year. Go open another fire house, tell the state you don't want all $13,670 instead have them buy a load of big hose, enough to reach all the buildings from the hydrants in town ($28,000) at a cost of $1800 a year of what you earned, and have them buy you an additional 120,000 gallons of warter storage ($40,000) for $2600 of your earnings and a $100,000 pumper with a big hose bed and a 1750 pump for you with say $7000 of that a year. With the ballance buy a real fire station so your rig doesn't need to be in a barn.

That will improve your water supply situation in town and improve your grade to a Class 5. Where yo parked the mini pumper will become a Class 9 from its current Clas 10. The state will give you an extra $4316 a year plus $2157 per station.

Have the state keep $2500 of that and throw up another $40,000 fire house 7 to 10 miles from the other stations and have the state keep another $2000 to buy a $30,000 brush truck to park in that station. You'll need a tanker to run with both mini pumpers so buy that with the ballnce of the increase that year. Where the new station is is currently a Class 10, it will drop to Class 8a rating as wll the other station.

You'll have saved 22% on everyone within 5 miles of that stations rating.

Then the state will have to give you an additional $15,827 a year. Take that money and but two nice pumper tankers ($200,000) to replace the mini pumpers in the two new stations.

Buy an additional station for say $40,000. Put a mini pumper in it. That area will fall from a Class 10 to a Clas 9. Place one of your other tankers in their and get a Class 8a.

Once again you'll have another $15,827. Buy a tanker and put in water storage sites for $240,000 at all of the stations. You'll then have sufficient tankers and fill points to hold a Class 5 district wide. Then live happily ever after!

I've been lucky enough to have done just that in your state a few times.

If I can help you in any way let me know.

Comment

LHS*, Thank you for the reply. We went to a meeting a few months ago on fire training and Mike Slusher was there. We did go over some ideas and got some literature from him. Our funding is like you said, we also get $7000 a year from the county to use for what we like and are reimbursed from the New Mexico State Forestry for the grass fires we fight. This really helps to pay for additional tankers if we also equip. them with a 300 gpm pump and basic wild fire equipment. The big problem we have is that we are a municipal department and they tell us that our fire district is the City Limits. Also do you have any suggestion on where to get a batch report for our town so we would have a clue on what type of fire flow we are supposed to obtain.

Also I did notice a mistake in my original post our pumper is a 1250 gpm with a 1000 booster tank.

Any thanks for the reply I appreciate the Info a lot. Also if you can get me your email address then I will check back for additional info as the process goes along

[This message has been edited by d308 (edited 05-03-2001).]

Comment

// Also do you have any suggestion on where to get a batch report for our town so we would have a clue on what type of fire flow we are supposed to obtain.

call ISO at (800) 444-4554.

//The big problem we have is that we are a municipal department and they tell us that our fire district is the City Limits.

Then focus on expanding the water storage and big hose.

//Also if you can get me your email address then I will check back for additional info as the process goes along

[email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X