This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPE AT MVA'S

DOES YOU DEPT REQUIRE FULL BUNKER GEAR AT ALL MVA'S, OR ARE JUMP SUITS ALLOWED AT MINOR MVA'S? IF SO IS THE POLICY ENFORCED?

------------------
    NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

We would like to "Enforce" ppe, but we are a volunteer agency and respond to two stations, (Depending which side of the district you're on) we emphasize the importance of wearing gear, and rig the guys (Constructive of course) if they don't. I've never see a minor mva, they all have some kind of hazard, the personnel who don't have gear on usually do traffic or something that does not put them directly involved with the scene. Hope that helped

------------------
    ...James
    [email protected]
    Training Officer
    Olney - Walluski Fire District # 35 (Oregon)

Comment

How do you know what a minor MVA is? Personally, we are required to have full PPE, and sometimes even our SCBA's if reported as a car fire. But to me, we don't know what we are responding to until we get there. If you respond for the worst, and see the best, great, but are you going to dress down then save a life?

------------------
      Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

Our policy is extrication Jumpsuits at all MVAs along with the other standard PPE. I dont think I have ever heard the term minor MVA. Minor injuries... Yes. All MVAs have their own hazards.

------------------
        Shawn M. Cecula
        Captain
        Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Comment

Our official department policy is to wear full ppe for automobile accidents. Although I see members of other companies violating this policy from time to time, I stricly enforce it for my company. You do not know what you may find upon arrival on the scene. I have encountered ruptured fuel tanks, fires, hazardous material releases and other problems on the scene of reported "minor" MVA's.

Comment

Ahhhh, the days of working pin jobs in our t-shirts are gone forever, only the Police can do that now!
            However I actually enjoy wearing my bunker gear, so I tend to wear it all the time on alarms...yes even minor MVA's, we have 'em, i've seen 'em..they are out there....
            Of course the ensamble changes somewhat since different levels of protection are needed, such as eye glasses for protection, most of us have Bourke Shields you just can't see through, So I wear Oakley Blades with Amber lenses, they meet all requiremnents for impact and side coverage.. Also instead of fire gloves I wear Ringers extrication gloves...That's in addition to my bunker pants and coat

Comment

Upon arrival - full PPE including eye protection. After extrication, fluid cleanup,etc. after all immediate hazards have been removed - foot, eye, head, and hand protection only.

Comment

i agree with DC1051...we wear our ful PPE when responding and upon arrival, if extrication is needed or fire, or fuel spills you are ready...now if its the all so popular "insuranceitis" wreck...well then we dress down to our bunkerpants and helmets and gloves.

------------------
                Engine / Squad Co.# 7

Comment

THANX FOR THE INPUT. I MYSELF ALWAYS WEAR FULL GEAR BUT SOME MEMBERS DON'T AND IT'S NOT ENFORCED. BUT FOR MY PROTECTION I WEAR MINE BUT THANX FOR THE COMMENTS AND STAY SAFE

------------------
                  NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

Comment

We require our Firefighters to wear PPE on all MVA. The exception to this are personnel directing traffic. However the EMS personnel don't wear any kind of PPE beyond latex gloves. I think if there going to be in or around the vehicle they should at least wear jumpsuits. Just for the simple fact that they would be better protected.

Comment

Down under in Australia we wear full turn out gear (bunker gear), on arrival if we have a dedicated extrication crew they will wear riggers gloves instead of the heavy fire fighting gloves and they also wear protective glasses and every person wears latex gloves under the others. I firmly believe in full PPE and ensure that all members of the crew are fully dressed before they get off the truck.

Play safe and work safe.

Comment

We require full gear for every call, inc. MVAs. We have also gone to goggles instead of facece shields, as we have had experience where the shields are not enough. No point in tempting fate.
                        Medics and EMTs responding to the scene often just go w/latex gloves, sometimes coat and helmet.

Comment

FULL GEAR -- all the time. You never know what you got till you get there, and it's too late to be gearing up once you're on the job and realize that -- oops this minor fender bender is starting to smoke and catch fire -- I better go get my gear on!

I live (and hopefully continue to) by the theory of prepare for the worst. It's always easier to drop some gear later or cancel some equipment later AFTER you determine you don't need it than it is to have cancelled it or not worn it and find you that you now need it.

Sucks sometimes on the interstate on these 90 degree days but I think it's safer in the long run!

Comment

We are required to wear full turnout to every MVA with latex gloves underneath if injuries are involved. SCBA is required for a car fire. NOTE TO JAMES: I don't agree that being a volunteer dept. justifies not be able to "Enforce a policy". Shame on your officers for not enforcing it. Simple solution is to say "If you don't put it on, then you don't respond". period. Hope they don't wait until someone gets hurt before they start!

Comment

My department provides both fire and EMS. Therefor our EMTs are held to the same SOPs as our firefighters. Those SOPs state that full turnout gear be worn to MVAs. Although, we are permitted to ditch our coats and helmets if it turns out to be a "working lawsuit." I'd say this policy is followed about 90% of the time and is basically accepted by all members.

[This message has been edited by Eng522ine (edited 05-03-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X