Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

What is killing firefighters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is killing firefighters?

Here are some facts about the causes of firefighter deaths based on 1999 (they dont have the studies done for 2000 yet) statistics.

This data comes from USFA and other sources and is used as the source on one of my NFA reports.

87% of deaths have been emergency related of which 25 deaths were from heart attacks, 14 asphyxiation, 8 burns, 8 internal trauma, 3 electrocutions and 1 each of heatstroke (wildland incident) and drowning.

There were 52 other than emergency deaths.

There were 26 deaths that happened when responding to or returning from a call of which 13 were heart attacks, 2 were stroke, 11 traumatic injuries.

Stress/over exertion contributed to over 49% of deaths, which shows why fitness. conditioning is important.

Collpase, getting lost, or being struck by an object made up small single and teen digit numbers of deaths in 1999.

There were 112 deaths in 1999.

Well California has had 2 Lodd's that I know off, 1 was Firefighter Matthew Smith of Redwood City Fire due to a heart attack and another was also up north caused by a drowing during a training excerisise

I think the reason most Firefighter's have been suffering heart attacks, Due to the lack of fitness and well improper nutrition

Comment

Last years data (what they have of it done) shows a dramatic increase of heart attacks and strokes. About a 25% increase. It's looking like fireground action related deaths are the minority of the deaths in 2000.

This shows safety is being addressed, while fitness and conditioing is not.

You also dont get fit fighting fire since its STRESS!

Comment

NIOSH has also reported that when you take an average of all deaths from 1977-1998 the number of deaths due to heart attack is around 49.8% and has doubled since 1992.

This shows that you must be in shape and physically conditioned to perform or operate on the fireground.

Comment

"Stress/over exertion contributed to over 49% of deaths"....

Because of this, Boston being the traditional, yet "progressive" dept that it is, changed their bunker gear policy. Now you can fight fire in your coat and boots if you want. You don't have to wear the pants.
          The guys say they are much more agile and don't get worn down as quick. They love it and they're not getting burned- because they use proper tactics.

Comment

NIOSH and USFA disagree with you.
            The stats prove what they say.

In the longterm you will find out your wrong.

A department that doesnt require full PPE is opening itself up to legal troubles later on. There is something called risk management and liability that most firefighters have no clue about. Chiefs have liability and have to weigh it as a cost/benefit.

Comment

thanks for the education

[This message has been edited by mamaluke (edited 05-02-2001).]

Comment

Another point is that if your going to have a heart attack while wearing bunker pants your going to have one when not wearing them.
                Makes no difference. There is the same stress whether you wear bunker pants or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Marshall:

This shows safety is being addressed, while fitness and conditioing is not.

You also dont get fit fighting fire since its STRESS!
                  Hm. If conditioning decreases your chances of a heart attack, why did we have a firefighter die on your almighty treadmil?

Doc DC3

Comment

who says?? professor marshall???

Comment

I agree there is the some potential for legal trouble later on however that is with firemen who claim they were not properly equipped. This happened in NYC a few years back. One of the cases was Drennan v. City Of New York. It was one of many costly cases pending against NYC.

However Boston has attempted to mitigate this type of litigation by allowing personal choice over what types of gear one will wear. PPE(PERSONAL protective equipment) hence personal choice eliminated the costly litigation that NYC experienced from the firemen that thought they deserved better.

Boston tried bunker gear for many years and while burn injuries stayed statistically the same...heart attacks and stress related(heat and otherwise) casualties went up.

So in the long term they found out people like you Mr. Marshall were wrong.(At least for them) The gear created more problems than they solved.

So being progressive, they are trying out where members choose what they will get to wear. They set out to prevent the spike in injuries and deaths that they were experiencing.

I understand San Fransico's policy to be similar in that they still wear the old wool pants or Bunker gear(at night) depending on preferences. I'll let the Brothers from San Fran expound on that topic.

Mr. Marshall you are telling us the stress is the same whether one is wearing encapsulating bunker gear or 3/4's and a long coat? Do you have some documentation for that claim?

You are full of it. What is your experience with 3/4s? Have you ever worn them? Ask any fireman that wore both will tell you the bunkers are warmer and are heavier. I tried the 3/4's a few times when I was a vollie and noticed a big difference in heat stress & weight. How do you know that there is the same stress? Do you have some studies that show that?

You are saying they would have stress induced heart-attacks regardless if they were wearing bunkers or 3/4s....So you are a doctor now? Did you perform the Autopsy?

How come there are countless published articles from Chiefs about increasing the amount of rehab time for firemen because of Bunker gear. That is a big issue to Chief officers in the quest to bring down the incidents of injuries from stress...

That leads to the question why a Super educated fire-god like yourself isn't privy to that info? Perhaps you are talking to much and not reading and listening enough. Or is it because those articles are written by those "uneducated", out of shape Chiefs from the East coast whom you have an obvious bias towards?

I think that if one is serious about looking into deaths by stress needs to look at all posible causes not those to which he doesn't have a bias toward.

If you are going to make claims and tell others they are flat wrong you better have the either the experience, facts or figures to back up those statements of yours.

Two cents from a fireman.

FTM-PTB

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited 05-02-2001).]

Comment

Nate seems to also be an expert on medical issues, especially cardiology.

I wonder what training you have, Nate, and where can I get it?

Myself, I have over 9 years in as an EMT, and, after 18 months straight of schooling and clinicals, I have just taken my paramedic exams, and the results will be mailed to me in a few weeks.

Oh, one more thing. In my limited experiences and education, I don't KNOW what caused the M.I.'s in the fallen Brother/Sister firefighters. NEITHER DO YOU!!!

------------------

Let us never, ever forget those of us that have gone before us in the line of duty. Because those brave souls have given all, it is up to us to always keep them alive in our hearts and our memories.

FTM-PTB

[This message has been edited by Jolly Roger (edited 05-02-2001).]

Comment

My data comes from reading all 112 firefighter fatality reports that NIOSH and USFA have from 1999. 2000 havent been completed yet. They do extensive reports taking data not only from their officers and chiefs but also from coroners reports and data collected from medical experts. This directly shows all factors that contributed to the death of each firefighter. They also take medical histories and family medical histories, those who have heart attacks and strokes also have had their lodd data reviewed by cardiologists and neurosurgeons as well as pathologists.

This data was supplied to me as my project for EFOP. It's objective and it's also open to the public, if you take the time to review it all you will learn what I did.

The problem with most of your answers is your citing personal bias and not what the investigations have shown nor any real facts or data which exists.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X