This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booster line

Does anybody know anything about 1 1/2" booster line? We're doing specs for a new engine and we are debateing about a booster reel or 1 1/2" trash line. I though I read somewhere about 1 1/2" booster reels. If anyone knows where I can get some info please let me know. Thanks!

REEL LINES ARE GREAT, MOVES FAIR AMOUNT OF WATER, IS EASILY DEPLOYED AND RETURNED TO THE HOSEREEL, NO MESSY CLEAN UP, GREAT FOR SMALL FIRES CLOSE TO YOUR TRUCK. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT

------------------
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"

Comment

REEL LINES ARE GREAT, MOVES FAIR AMOUNT OF WATER, IS EASILY DEPLOYED AND RETURNED TO THE HOSEREEL, NO MESSY CLEAN UP, GREAT FOR SMALL FIRES CLOSE TO YOUR TRUCK. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT

PS. ALL REPUTABLE DEALERS WILL HAVE INFO ON REEL LINES

------------------
      FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"

Comment

I have heard arguments for and against booster lines, but in my opinion, I think they should be on the truck. Why mess up and have to repack a trash line when you can press a button and pull the hose back. We have found them valuable for overhaul, grass fires, and in certain situations, car fires.

Comment

In a company a few years ago, we had took off the booster hose and put 1 1/2" line on the reel. It moves more water, and you can still re roll it onto the reel. Of course its a good idea to have extra hose if you take it off to redo at the station to avoid mildew problems and the like.

Comment

Boosters have their place. We use them for trash fires but more specifically chimney fires.
            Let me explain. We have a 25' section of booster attached to a conical weight with "misters" on the end. We drop it down the chimney like the old weights to clear out a path while misting a light foam to snuff out the fire. Uses very little water and we have not seen any cracking or damage tot he chimney structure. Does a really good and quick job.
            Just another use for a booster we picked up.
            Disadvantage: You have to replace the 25' section once in a while. For us about once a year and we have 2 units in service.

------------------
            Keep Safe!

[This message has been edited by jizumper-5 (edited 04-30-2001).]

Comment

Check out wsdarley.com thay have 1.5 reeltex booster hose and the conversion kit to change the 1" reel to 1.5". You may have to get their catolog that is where I saw the product but I have not got to try it to see how it works. I do know that it is supposed to be rigid just like regular booster hose but be the same size as 1" with a 1.5" ID.

Hope this helps

Comment

There are two types of 1.5" "booster" style reels we run.

The newest style is the Niedner 1.5" semi-rigid hose on our CAFS unit. This hose is like traditional booster hose in it retains it's shape even with no water in it, and looking at the pics in the trade mags I believe it's what is on the reels on the front of Phoenix's new engines. It is lighter than traditional rubber booster hose. It has a relatively rough interior which supposedly helps keep CAFS better agitated, and friction loss is much less of a concern with CAFS anyway.

We flow 40gpm CAFS or 80gpm Water through it, I'm sure it could do more but we only have a small pump on our CAFS unit

See http://www.niedner.com/reeltex2.html

Another method is to simply used traditional lined, double jacketed fire hose on a booster reel that is plumbed appropriately to support the higher flows.

The most common application I've seen of this is "Massachussets Forestry Hose" which is 1-1/8" rubber lined hose, and I've seen reels as large as 600' of charged line -- just pull and flow, and continue pulling as you advance it.

My department does something a bit more unusual. Since the 1950s we've kept our primary attack line charged at all times. Originally it was simply 150' of 1.5" coiled up in the hose bed. In 1973 it was moved onto a reel, and in 1993 we went to a dual reel system with one 200' 1.5" line and one 150' 1.75" line. Both are simply conventional fire hose, kept charged to about 50psi as it is rewound on the reel -- basically keep the nozzle slightly cracked while rewinding, otherwise the pressure sneaks up on you.

Deployment is 1) release the reel brake and 2) pull. A typical scenario might be the nozzle crew pulls 50' to make the initial knockdown on a car fire, and while their flowing water other members are pulling more hose off the reel to allow them to advance.

My personal opinion: Love the 1.5" (we equip it with a Rockwood Nozzle with a 95gpm smoothbore and 65gpm narrow angle fog), it's very easy to advance and is a great "utility" line. The 1.75" line is equipped with a TFT nozzle capable of flowing upto 200gpm -- it's noticeably heavier to move, and while it allows fast water on a fire if you're shorthanded it can be a handful for one person to pull and flake if you need to -- been there, done that.

Here's a pic of the rear of our first due Engine-Tank:

All our reels are made by Hannay -- the ones on the picture above a specifically built to flow handline volumes -- they where originally designed for us back in '73. If you need it, email me at [email protected] for the model numbers...I keep forgeting to put them on my website!

Matt

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! I'm going to bring it at our meeting and I'll go from there.

Comment

Be careful. We bought 1 1/2 on our last two rigs for the booster, and they don't work! The manufacturer recommended the wrong size reel, when the line is charged it rolls off the the reel and jams up-can't pull it. I think the problem was the wrong size drum. We think we have it worked out now, and will get the new reel.

Comment

Somethings become so automatic you forget about them...

Especially when only pulling a small amount off of our 1.5" or 1.75" structural reels, set the reel brake. We may already be flowing, and pull a bit more before setting the brake. For structures, we'll have some probies just pull the whole reel off so it's ready.

Otherwise the hose acts like gunny says.

Fortunately for us, it's not a deal stopper, since we have enough space around the reels it doesn't jam, but I could see that happening in conventional size "booster" reel spaces. But if you don't set the brake, you end up having to pull all the hose off and rewind the reel from scratch.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X