This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for RIT/FAST

What type of tools do you take if you are assined RIT/FAST?

Besides PPE, an SCBA, a portable radio, a hand light (in addition to the one on my coat), either a halligan or 6 foot hook, an axe hung on my belt and a bag of 50' search/bail out line in a pouch. It really depends on what the other guys have grabbed which tools I take as some guys take the Denver (or TNT) tool, the sledge, a chainsaw, a rope bag or a spare SCBA for the victim. We also try and secure ourselves a gound ladder or two, and a dedicated handline.

------------------
    FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington,NH FD
    &
    New England Dragway Safety Team (Sundaaayy!)
    *N.E.D. celebrates 35 years a post-NHRA and current IHRA drag racing venue! Come on by and watch the great action at RT27 Epping, NH(Exit 8 off of Rt 101)*
    New England Dragway is the home of the IHRA North American Nationals Sept 7-9 2001
    1-877-DRAGWAY
    1-603-679-8001

Comment

I agree with Divr45, and if you have a TIC, bring it also. And confirm how many people you are looking for, and bring an SCBA for each, or at least a spare cylinder. Also, be sure to do a walk around during the incident to familiarize the team with the building, its layout, and try to locate the fire in relation to entrances, and egress points. it is information you might not live without...

Comment

Our county just adopted a policy for fast teams and our "perscribed" tools or must haves are a flat head axe, TNT tool or sledge, haligan tool, everyone has a personal rope 30-50 feet long, Spare scba, and a 6 foot hook. Depending on the call choose your weapons wisely. We try to run four man teams so that gives you a wide variety of tools on the same team. If you know the guy is trapped under something or fell through a hole and your going to bring him back through it, a battery operated sawsall with a wood blade sur e can cut a lot of crap, A definate plus if you have it.

Comment

Thats an interesting question...from my short experience it seems that alot of people have conflicting opinons on the matter, I have even read somewhere that a FAST should have a hurst tool ready to go...while the probably make sense do all departments have that capability? Anyway the fast should probably have forcible entry tools, handlights, radio, a searchrope, possibly a rescue rope, a buddy breather would be nice too, and how about a thermal imaging camera. My department is lucky enough to have two TICs so we can use one for search and use the other for the FAST. so theres my two cents....be safe

Comment

We carry tools of similar nature. forceable entry, ropes, lights and such. We also made our own fast bag with an air-pak of sorts. we removed the frame form a scott pak and placed just the regulator, bottle and mask in a bag along with small hand tools such as wire cutters, lights. Removeing the frame saved a lot of room and made it easier to carry but I doubt scott recomends it.

Comment

The following tools are what my department recommends for RIT.

Ropes at least 50' long, spotlights, extra radios, extra air cylinders and harnesses, hoseline w/ seperate water source, shoring equipment, breaching, cutting, prying and striking tools of your choice. Such as a sawsall, knife, metal cutters, halligan, sledge hammers etc. Block and tackle equipment, 1" webbbing at least 16 - 20 ft long, beaners and packaging gear.

You can also choose anything that you feel will give you an advantage during rescue operations. These are the recommended tools and equipment.

Comment

Check out the web site www.the-reed.com. It is a great RIT tool! We use it and love it.

Comment

Check out the REED at www.the-reed.com. It is a great tool. We use it and love it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X