Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Firefighters why are we treated like step children?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Firefighters why are we treated like step children?????

Why do municipal firefighter look down on fedral firefighters? I am IAFF have just as much trainning if not more. But yet all you get is the cold sholder or I don't want them running with us. Whats up?!?!?!?!?!?

I worked as a federal firefighter starting off as an active duty air force firefighter. After getting out, I worked as a civilian federal firefighter GS-5 at 3 different installations and was not happy with the slow, no fire pace of the federal fire system and left. Now I am a firefighter in a large metropolitan city and happy to be free from the federal trap. Don't get me wrong, it just wasnt for me. When I was in the federal system I got the same treatment from other non-federal IAFF members. In my opinion, I just feel that it is because the federal firefighter doesnt catch much fire. Typically that in itself should not be the judging factor of any firefighter but that is what I think is the issue. I could be wrong, again that is only my opinion being from both sides of the fence. Also, I found that my experience with the federal firefighter was that alot of the ones (not all) that I worked with thought they knew it all and had very little on the job experience. I know that there are alot of federal installations out there that do run off site and catch some fire but you rarely hear about the good job that was done by them. Maybe some good PR in some magazines, etc, would bolster the image of the federal firefighter, I don't know. In any case, good luck in the federal system and stay safe.

[This message has been edited by PBFTRK33 (edited 04-24-2001).]

Comment

We've never had that problem around here. Matter of fact, our hazmat team responds to the neighboring county as the initial responder. We've always worked together well. Most of our structure fires are room and contents, with 1 or 2 BIG fires a year. But hey, the emphasis of the DOD is prevention. I've never seen it pushed harder that on a military base.

As far as experience, I saw a lot more fires when I was still on a civilian department, but the training I've gotten with my current department is second to none. Perhaps the guys giving you the cold shoulder just have a personality malfunction.

Comment

I agree with FEDFIRE, the prevention programs on DOD installations are second to none...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X