This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of EMS squad do you prefer?

My dept is looking into replacing one of our older squads. The old squad is a 1991 Road Rescue type III. We already have a '95 type III, and a 2000 type III. I, as well as some others, feel as though we should look at a type II. After all, we could use the extra space, and it doesn't hurt to save some money. We average about 650 calls per year, only about 5% of wich are MVA's and major trauma's. Also I hear that type II's are much better at having a little more steady ride than that of the others. (A real problem on some calls.) What are your thoughts and experiences?

------------------
    Mike

No offense, Platts, but you'd probably get a better response by posting this in the EMS forums. Did you try there?

Not to say there aren't a lot of cross-trained FFs here on the FF forums, but I think you'll find a lot more expertise in the EMS forums. Just my $.02.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

More room in a type II??? That's a van with a raised roof! If your talking about more room in the firehouse, it ain't worth it. If anything, stay with a type III modular. The volunteer squad I run with had a van type for a short while, nothing but type III now. After working in both, I prefer the room you have in a box. I know the type II's are cheaper, (MUCH cheaper) but if you do transfers to Omaha, and a lot of equipment needs to be carried, Type I or III is the way to go. I'm guessing your in Plattsmouth? Former Seward VFD here!

Comment

I've worked in both type II, and Type III. I'll take the Type III any day! I feel to cramped in a type II, its like riding in a matchbox ambulance. If your department is looking to save money, and size, look at some thing like the the mod-u-van by Wheeled Coach. Its a step between a full mod and a van.

Comment

I would have to agree with the majority here. I have never worked full time out of a type two. But did make some calls in one from a small dept. that was inside of a service area of the ALS service I started there. They would be much cheaper but I think they are also made cheaper and will not hold up to heavy use. I think Bruan also makes a mini mod still. At my old service we had two of them 1985 models ran them for ten years and they were very durable. If you decide to go with the type III I can't say enough about ours Bruan on ford super duty chasis. Granning air ride and ipd suspension. Best ride I've been in.

Comment

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

Comment

Only been in a type II a handfull of times, didn't like it wouldn't recommend it. I like type I personally, but type III's are a close second. I would recommend a box hands down over a van. Only way I'd want a van is if you have lots of calls that are in very tight places that a box won't easily fit.

Comment

Platts,

It all comes down to what you are looking for. Every different style type has pros and cons, just like everyone likes a different stretcher, suction unit, collar's, etc. For the most part Type I's are okay, especially in urban area where you find a lot of problem like patients, it guards the person driving from any problems. It also is easier if you want to just switch out the front and the chassis if the box is still in good condition. The Type II's, from what I've seen around me are making comeback's, I've even seen some vollie agencies buying them again. They are economical in price, and on fuel, and they from what I have seen in my experience as a former EMS coordinator for a prior FD I worked for, more durable, and required less maintainence then my Type III's. The downfall is you lose some compartment space on the outside. They make nice spots on the inside, but adding some extra stuff here and there doesn't work well. But as far as being tight, I really don't think they are that bad. Your not there to stretch out and lay down. I couldn't stand up in my Type III's either.
                I love Type III's, yes they are a little rough, but if you have money upgrade your suspension. But as someone else stated, Wheeled Coach, and McCoy, still make Mini-Mods, which I think are called a Type IV and/or Type V by industry standards. They look like a type III, but are little lighter and slightly smaller in size. As far as being smaller to fit into tight streets, if you can't fit a fire apparatus down it, you can fit a Type I or III ambulance also. The last thing I can say it also take into account your ALS service, transport times, how many people avg. you get on a rig. (Some vollie agencies here get 3 regularly, now that would be tight in a van). If you'd like anymore help post your email and I will get back to you.

-------------------------------------------
                The above is my thoughts/opinions only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

I prefer one that is staffed by people trained and specialized in EMS, as part of a comprehensive Public (Prehospital) Healthcare System.

Comment

Type III all the way!!!

Type II is good for BLS calls where you have 1 of these situations: 1) not many people responding and 2) have to go back in the woods to get your pt.

we haven't had a Type II for 10 years or more but our neighboring crew has one they run when its a BLS call with 3 or fewer responders. We got a suburban outfitted as a first response vehicle with capibility to transport so we could go into those tightspots (or the woods) and bring our pt. out to the waiting type III.

Comment

I perfer an International box!!! The best in our area!!!! I think everyone around here is getting them...of course we live 20 minutes away from the International Plant in Springfield! They are great to rife in especially if you have been the victim of the grim reaper!!!(inside joke on me) Get a box not a van? Vans are for coreners!!! see ya!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X