This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRE SCENARIO (what would you do)

Ok..I seen a couple other posts floating around like this...so I figured I'd give it a shot....Ok..You get dispatched to a 6 story brick senior citizen building. Reporting a fire alarm activation with a smoke condition, update from PD advises you confirmed fire on the 4th floor evacuations in progress,possible victim trapped in the fire apartment. Nothing showing from the front of the building but to the rear you have fire blowing out the apartments windows on the 4th floor.Approximatley 300 Residents living in this some with disabilities. PD tried gaining access but couldnt do to extreme fire conditions and smoke..Sprinklers are activated on the 4th floor...theres no access for aerial apparatus except in the front of the building..standpipes in the stairwell .Ok...what would you do?... This is my first one so take it easy on me if I screwed up on somethin hehe...also if you need something clarified let me know i'll explain it better...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE" http://engine058.boltpages.com/south...explorerpost6/

[This message has been edited by Engine58 (edited 04-20-2001).]

What do I have to work with such as number of Engines, Trucks and number of members on each rig?

Or would you prefer how MY department would handle this?

Comment

I agree with MR. Bodas...what kind of response we got? what size is department? we paid? volunteer? Well...whats always first? Life Safety.....Priorities?....Fire Floor, and floors directly below and above the fire.standpipes work? gonna need some lines! how many medics can you get? hydrant system? ventilation? how about the top floor? whats the fire doing? where is it going? but what do i know? i am just a 3rd year firefighter....you better have a good IC or some nasty stuff is gonna happen!

------------------
      Engine / Squad Co.# 7

Comment

ok umm.....Volunteer dept 9 Engines (each have 4-5 guys) 1 Tower ladder 1 quint both have 4 guys...2 EMS rescue trucks...(2 Guys) 7 BLS Ambulances (crews of 3) 4 Medic Units Hydrant on the back road....Hydrant in front of the building and 2 hydrants down the street umm...Moderate Fire condition in the Apartment Heavy smoke on the 4th 5th & 6th floors.... Minor smoke condition on the 2nd floor..Heavy water damage on the 3rd,2nd,1st floors...Senior Citizens still on the 5th & 6th floors having a hard time getting out do to disabilities...all the standpipes work.. Anything else I'm forgetting???

------------------
        Andrew
        South Amboy, New Jersey
        Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
        "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
        http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplorerpost6/

Comment

well....you have full volunteer turnout? is this daytime or nighttime? anyways....gonna need more help....even if you get an incredible aggressive attack and knock the fire down, you still need ALOT of people to carry out S.A.R. ventilation, and then eventually overhaul....cuz face it..with some adrenaline pumping going up 3-4 flights of stairs carrying xtra hose, gated wye,more hose, spanners,lights,nozzle,axes,halligans,your going to get tired ....then you have to hope the standpipe connection is loose.. with the disabilities of the elderly your gonna have to make do...possibly go to roof and have medivaced out? easier than going down 4-5 flights of stairs with firefighting equipment in the way. the excessive water....gonna have to use water chutes or some kind of drainage otherwise were all going thru the floors...and let the hospital no that your working a seriuos fire...alot of times they will send a doc out to you if need help that bad....of course im sure that varies with different hospital protocols....
          hope this has helped...
          stay safe

------------------
          Engine / Squad Co.# 7

Comment

Originally posted by Engine58:
            ok umm.....Volunteer dept 9 Engines (each have 4-5 guys) 1 Tower ladder 1 quint both have 4 guys...2 EMS rescue trucks...(2 Guys) 7 BLS Ambulances (crews of 3) 4 Medic Units Hydrant on the back road....Hydrant in front of the building and 2 hydrants down the street umm...Moderate Fire condition in the Apartment Heavy smoke on the 4th 5th & 6th floors.... Minor smoke condition on the 2nd floor..Heavy water damage on the 3rd,2nd,1st floors...Senior Citizens still on the 5th & 6th floors having a hard time getting out do to disabilities...all the standpipes work.. Anything else I'm forgetting???

Yes, the partrich in a pear tree.

Doc DC3

Comment

As the first due unit to this nightmare, I'd say that my companies efforts should be towards placing the first line to contain and extinguish the fire.

Although their is a huge life hazard here, we can't possibly rescue every person prior to extinguishing the fire. It has been my experience that even if your plan is to protect in place, the residents will have other plans. The faster we can stop the production of smoke and the spread of the fire the quicker we can ensure the residents safety.
              As mentioned earlier, I too would call for extra help, early. Probably an EMS box or more also.
              Second or later companies should concentrate on rescue of victims in the immediate fire area then the floor above.
              Depending on the amount of people who need genuine rescue, try to get a backup line in place as soon as possible.

Obviously, that is an oversimplified answer, but that covers the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Engine58:

Wind direction for one. But Without that, try this:

1 Eng for supply at the hydrant about 25' to the Exposure 4 side (using NYC exposures, 1 front, 2 left facing, 3 back, 4 right facing)and intial attack line.
                Quint as a ladder to the floors with residents trapped. If possible, TL and Eng to the rear, if not to the Exposure 4 side with an Eng for supply.

1 Eng for a FAST team. Other engines stretching support lines for exposure protection. TL crew if unable to attack using a master stream for Ventalation. Going to leave the rescue units alone, as the Rescues I am used to are probably not the sameones you would use.

Most important eliments are to use the Quint as a ladder to help evacuate the building, and keeping as much as the front free of equipment as much as possible for it. Venting the smoke conditions becomes secondary. Honestly, and yes I am biased, but I prefer our response lol.

Doc DC3

Comment

The bulk of the resources need to be directed towards fire extinguishment and ventilation. Individual rescue attempts would lead to a greater loss of life in a situation like this.

Comment

Engine co. only reply...1st due engine - run a 1-1/2" to the 4th floor, put the fire out, and search the fire apt. Hook-up and charge the sprinkler/standpipe connection.... 2nd due engine bring an 1-1/2" to the floor above for any extention.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X