This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brush fires

what size hose do you use on a 4 acre fire. that was the case about 5 days ago .lets h ear from you? laterboys!

Could you get a little clearer? What was the terrian, wind, exposure, available resources?

Comment

If possible we would simply pump and run with our Brush Tanker and use a 1 1/2" hose line. Its a simple but effective method. We would also use Firefighters with hand tools and Indian tanks as well.
      A little more information might be helpful so that a clearer picture of the situation can be made.

Comment

Your question was a little vauge. If it were 4 acres of open field, we have a great truck 1954 military 21/2 T 10 wheeler/ 750 gal. tank with 250 gpm pump. Three nozzles across the front bumper. We drive around the fire line and hit it with the bumper nozzles and clean up with rakes and flappers. If needed we also have 130' of 1 1/4 rubber hose on the back.

Comment

Besides the obvious of your line being backed up by a fire line crew, in my area I'd pull the 1 inch forestry line. IF, and that's a BIG if, there happened to be a hydrant nearby, I'd pull the booster or maybe a 1 3/4 inch line, but that all depends on fire conditions as well as environmental factors. If you could give a more detailed scenario, I'd be happy to give a more specific answer. Be safe.

Comment

Due to unexploded ordnance, we can not enter any range areas here that are on fire. Therefore, we fight our brush fires the easy way- we either watch it burn, or watch the Bell 412 Helicopter drop 250 gallons of water at a time with the bambi bucket.

------------------
            "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

I have to agree with LtStick. My department fights brush fires with an 1 1/2 inch hose running off a front platform that has pump and roll, and the truck carries 1000 gallons of water. With this set up you can knock down a big fire fast and with the 1.5 inch hose you can penetrate the grass better insuring that it is out. I have fought grass fires on neighboring departments pick-ups that had skid units but hated it since you could only do an effective fight for like 5 minutes then you had to go refill at a dry hydrant.

Comment

Water is usually in short supply, so we use a 1 in. forestry hose if we need to pull off much hose. We have 2 type 6 engines (1 tons with 300 gal tanks and 18 hp pumps) and they are good for about 15 minutes on initial attack on a grass fire. Our firefighters had better make it last a lot longer doing mop up or they will get a butt chewing. We also have 2 military 2 1/2 tons that carry 1000 gal. and have 18 hp pumps. They have front spray bars that work well in most grass fires. We only have limited timber but usually the 1 in. gets used. We use foam for almost all fires, but wish we had CAFS.

Comment

Booster reel, 1" or 3/4" whatever the case may be, and forestry line, to extend the booster. And Indian packs for in the woods. I wish I thought we could have enough water to even consider using an 1 1/2 on a brush fire, but around here we do as much with rakes, and pulaski tools as we do with water. Cut a line, let it burn to that line, then put it out, because then it's not going anywhere.

Comment

We use two tankers on 2 ton Ford chassis one has around 1200 gal the other has hauls around 1500 gal. Two FF's in the cage behind the cab, with short 1 1/2 hose and adjustable nozzles from 30 to 125 gpm. Usually always use the 30 gpm setting to conserve water. We also have a booster reel and 150' of 1 1/2 in the hose bed.
                    Drivers just start at the back of the fire driving on the black on each side and meet at the head of the fire. Of course terrain plays a big role in where we go. We also have a 6x6 and a 4x4 2 ton IHC that can pump and roll if necessary.
                    http://www.cityofcolby.com/policefire/indexpf.asp?id=39

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X