Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you gonna do with your FIRE Act money???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Our department is looking to replace a 1967 pumper, yes this is our front line pumper, we are really crossing our fingers to get a new pumper.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jmk271:
    What's everyone planning on spending their FIRE Act grant money on, if they are approved to recieve it??

Wildland turnouts, portable radios, generators and scene lighting.

------------------
    Bill Beall
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Silver City VFD, OK

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No worries Mongo. I enjoy reading each and every opinion to these forums. No offense was taken.

------------------
    JMK271
    ***Stay safe out there***
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Maybe I'm just a dumb canuck but I have been following the Fire Act from the Great White North. I have an idea how about e-mailing George W. pictures of the aging apparatus and equipment that is used every day. Ask how he would feel if that 1st due 1960's pumper showed up at his house fire and told no one could go in because they didn't have the gear. Just a thought, put me in my place if I'm out of line.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well if yo are a needy department what better thing can you do than invest in something that will via ISO save the people many times their contribution in matching funds? You could very well find a way via ISO to fund the entire operation of the FD. Give me 10 bucks a year I'll save you several hundred, sort of thing. It has worked lots of other places. This is a seed money grant, so buy some seed that will grow!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "What are you gonna do with the FIRE Act money, should your department be lucky enough to get any of it?"

I can get with that. I failed to notice you started the topic, my apologies on any slights my statement the guy that started this forum caused.

mongo

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ok Mongo.....I'll rephrase the title to this subject. How about I call it, "What are you gonna do with the FIRE Act money, should your department be lucky enough to get any of it?" I am really curious to see how biased this whole thing is going to turn out to be. I agree with your post Mongo, thanks for your input.

------------------
    JMK271
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's nice how this forum went from FIRE Act, to folks chatting about ISO rating.

You're right jmk271.

What I found funny was the guy that started this forum asks What are you gonna do with your FIRE Act money??? like it is our money.

This years money has confiscated from working Americans of this great nation and put into the federal treasury. When we started having a phantom surplus (money that has yet to be taken from us is a surplus?), they said "we can't give this back to the people, you won't spend it right (bc paraphrased) we've got to spend it." So they cooked up this scheme to buy votes.

But alas, that's a whole 'nother issue...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's nice how this forum went from FIRE Act, to folks chatting about ISO rating. I don't want to come off being rude, but I think there is already a forum on the boards about ISO ratings. Talk about it there.

------------------
    JMK271

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    //It is nice what you are doing, but i dont think ISO will jump the level that much for a station and an engine.

I've helped departments in several states jump that much and even more with less than that.

//You may have a great rating, but they are hard to come by. all Volunteer departments
    have a difficult time improving their rating.

We are 100% volunteer and have a Class 1. There will be another Class one Volunteer FD this next year in Texas and that will make 3. All but one of the best grades ever given in non hydranted areas are held by vollys. Changing a poor rating is quite easy and cheap actually.

see www.isoslayer.com

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    engine198 you'd be surprised how easy it is to change your ISO rate. My little VFD went from a 10 to a 6 5 miles from our stations into the no-hydrant areas simply by getting the paperwork in order and adding a 1,200 gallon tanker to supplement the 3,800 gallon one we currently have.

Then to top it off, we went from a 5 to a 3 in the city (hydranted) by adding a 105' quint and using the same paperwork from the rural grade.

The only thing that makes changing your ISO grade hard are the people that want to tell you it works one way and that way is completely different than the way it actually works.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Quotes from an original post by jizumper-5:

>> I have noticed what other local companies as well as others in this forum are requesting and it sound like people have not read up on what you can and cannot buy.

I read up on it, but our priorities and FEMA's priorities are different in some ways. I see no reason to cook up some new priorities that we've never had just to get money for something we really don't need. I submitted an application built around what we need...if it gets rejected, so be it.

>> I see a lot of apparatus requests but know there is only 15 million available for that.

So, maybe if we flood them with apparatus applications, they'll expand the category next time. I'm not holding my breath, by the way....especially since there are 9 more categories in the original bill that got no funding at all this time around.

>> I also know they will look at pumpers, for the most part, exclusively. Especially those companies who may not have a pumper or one that is 1950's vintage.

That doesn't help us, but I agree that the companies with nothing or next to nothing should get priority. I look at the apparatus part of our application as a lottery ticket...but, let's face it, somebody has to win this lottery, right?

>> One thing with PPE I found interesting is they want a request to refit an entire department (so everyone benefits) not just a few new sets of gear. Not to draw this out any longer but I think one is more likely to get money for something that will improve the safety of the fire fighter.

Which works out well for us, since full SCBA replacement is something we really need.

>> Don't get me wrong, I hope that everyone will get something that they could not other wise afford. Best of luck to us all!

I support the sentiment, but we're not all getting something...in fact, most of us will get nothing, I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our dept. is planning to purchase a mini-pump to fit under our 8ft railroad trestle and 11 sets of new turnout gear including 4 scba's and spare bottles, and individual face masks for the guys.
    This is going to be a great thing for alot of small rural fire depts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by LHS*:
    The app I filled out is asking for funds to buy a used building to make into a fire station. Money for used pumper for a town who is currently borrowing a pumper now with the nearest mutual aid 40 miles away if it is not snowing. And smoke detectors for every bedroom in the community.

They have two old fuel trucxks tocarry water. The departments budget is $3200 every other year. The department has a Class 8 now, with 1960's air packs, turnouts, etc. They cover 300 people in a 100 square mile area with 11 hydrants. Over the last 2 years their 4 county area has had 7 of the 8 largest wildland fires in the US.

One year after getting the station and truck they will have an ISO class 4 district wide is part of our return on the investment.

It is nice what you are doing, but i dont think ISO will jump the level that much for a station and an engine.

You may have a great rating, but they are hard to come by. all Volunteer departments have a difficult time improving their rating.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If we receive funding from the FIRE Act grant, we will be purchasing 4" LDH and the hardware for all three front line engines and the two reserve rigs.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X