Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you gonna do with your FIRE Act money???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you gonna do with your FIRE Act money???

What's everyone planning on spending their FIRE Act grant money on, if they are approved to recieve it??

------------------
    JMK271
    ***Stay safe out there***
    ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

We are planning to replace two of our aging trucks and to purchase radio equipment and additional equipment

Comment

The app I filled out is asking for funds to buy a used building to make into a fire station. Money for used pumper for a town who is currently borrowing a pumper now with the nearest mutual aid 40 miles away if it is not snowing. And smoke detectors for every bedroom in the community.

They have two old fuel trucxks tocarry water. The departments budget is $3200 every other year. The department has a Class 8 now, with 1960's air packs, turnouts, etc. They cover 300 people in a 100 square mile area with 11 hydrants. Over the last 2 years their 4 county area has had 7 of the 8 largest wildland fires in the US.

One year after getting the station and truck they will have an ISO class 4 district wide is part of our return on the investment.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the rules say that you can only apply for one (1) piece of apparatus.

Also, there are no funds this year for purchasing or constructing a fire station.

By the way, we are applying for a new pumper to replace our departments aging pumper.

Comment

Keeping our fingers crossed, if we get approved, we're gonna get a newer engine, new SCBA's, turnout gear, & PASS devices. Like I said, though, we're keeping our fingers crossed.....

------------------
          JMK271
          ***These opinion(s) are my own, and not that of the department in which I serve***

Comment

Sounds like to me (from this forum and other comments that I've heard locally) that a lot of the apps are asking for new vehicles. If you do the math, only 15 million was appropriated for vehicles...which isnt much when you consider that a new engine conservatively costs over 200,000 dollars.(and boy is that conservative) Given the average cost, you're only talking about 30 new engines nationwide. I'd like to know the final # of apps that asked for new engines. By the way....back to the original question.....yea...we asked for funds for a new engine too.

I didn't see where you could apply for funding of any type of building....thought I read the rules thoroughly.

Comment

We are looking into a TIC, laptop computers for the equipment and software to track all the info and people.

Comment

We would like to purchase a mini pumper to serve as a brush truck and also as a service co. for ISO points. We would also run it as a rescue along side a engine co.

Comment

In an earlier post, I stated what we were hoping to get grant money for. It was a newer truck, gear, blah-blah-blah. Anyway, I understand that a lot of departments are applying for vehicles, and there is only so much money to go around for those vehicles. In all honesty, I truly hope that if my department were to only get ONE of the grants, my hope would be to get the PPE grant. We just felt that the questions they were asking about vehicles was too good to pass up on trying for one.

------------------
                  JMK271

Comment

Physical fitness program and workout equipment. Also trying for a training & burn building.

Comment

We are going to start up an aggressive fire prevention program. We just bought a Scott TIC and will use the funds to buy smoke and CO2 detectors, give fire prevention classes to this community and a town the we provide fire protection for. Once they get done with the class, they can sign up for a fireman to walk through their homes and help them make Fire Escape Plans and hand out the Smoke and CO2 detectors where they are needed. We have 2600 in this community and 50 in the neighboring community, so we should a good turn out. We are pushing for the children to get involved, due to we have lost 6 kids in the past year to fires. If we have enough money, we also would like to get a Fire/Smoke training trailer.

Comment

I'm asking for two things:

- Full SCBA replacement
                        - Replacement of our 1974 ladder with a new quint

I know what you're thinking, but I look at it this way:

PPE is a very high priority, both for us and the people who wrote the rules. This seems like our best chance for money, and we need new SCBA in a big way.

The people who wrote the rules think aerials are a low priority. Our aerial is our highest priority. What sense would it make to propose something that's not a priority? I'll give them the case and let them reject it, even if the only thing it does is make a statement that their priorities don't necessarily line up with the priorities in the field.

Besides...at the rate that responses are coming in, we might just hit the lottery!

Comment

I heard that all requests for funds to purchase Thermal Imaging Cameras will be denied because TIC's are considered "non-essential." Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by PA Volunteer:
                            I heard that all requests for funds to purchase Thermal Imaging Cameras will be denied because TIC's are considered "non-essential." Is this true?
                            nonessential??? i certainly hope not.

Comment

So nonessential that New Jersey supplied a TIC to ALL their fd's?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X