This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCBA Maze

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a SCBA maze. Things that they wished they would have had on their maze. We are building one this year and have a few ideas just wanted to ask everyone else to see if we left anything out. Thanks.

Well, we have one made out of old pallets above oue of our stations. Looks pretty good for something made out of free matierials. Definatly realistic, and easy to change around on a rookie.

Althea

Comment

I suggest putting wires that hang down for people to get tangled in. It shows how dangerous debris can be. Use and old extension cord. Make it so that the floor moves. Put a board as the floor that teaters on something so that they have to always check the floor in front of them for holes. Put in an area/tunnel where you must take off your pack to fit through. Everyone should know how to operate their SCBA in the dark. Just ideas.

Comment

Make it so that there are at least two exits out of the maze. Then, cut small slits in the walls of the maze at varying points, using them to slide blockers into, simulating one route being cut off. Another great idea that I've heard about is to take an old hose, and lay it out in the maze in such a fashion that the nozzle is roughly in the middle, then have it wind around the maze, making as many turns and twists as possible. Have it run over itself even. Then, when they have gotten to the other end, they find it blocked by debris, again, simulating being cut off. Hopefully, they weill learn to trust and use their sense of direction. Good luck with your maze, and let us know how it turns out. Peace.

------------------
        "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
        Whatever it is, I didn't do it, and I don't know anything about a fire. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
        Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Comment

They have a maze at the state academy here that is contained inside a trailer (about forty foot long or so) It is designed so you can rearrange the maze with different obstacles. It is pitch black inside, and you are monitored by the instructor w/ infrared camera. Obstacles include a floor hatch, dead ends,tubes in which you must take your pack off and push in front of you, a wall with "2x4"'s you have to squeeze through and other scenarios that may be encountered. All with only enough space to crawl in. It was rather fun. Only 2 problems I had with the maze. One time I ran into the fencing blocking a path and my scba mask got caught in it. (which I had to keep my self calm and try to get untangled, and one time they forgot to unblock the exit when they reaaranged it! good luck

Comment

[This message has been edited by ntvilleff (edited 04-25-2001).]

Comment

[This message has been edited by ntvilleff (edited 04-23-2001).]

Comment

SFD-Resq6: I have developed a rather simple maze that I use when teaching SCBA classes. It is really easy to build and gives most of the problems encountered in an actual building. The nice part is that it can be constructed so it can be taken apart for storage. I carry it all over the state for my classes.
                If you would like to e-mail me with your address, I will be happy to send you a copy of the plans.

------------------
                Asst Chief Jim Kron

Comment

We clear out the truck bay, and then set up a maze with long tables, with some furniture mixed in. Then we tape paper over the facemasks, and also will have "victims" somewhere in the maze. On occasion, we'll smoke the hall with a smoke machine, and go in with the tables and chairs set up various ways.

Comment

The best mazes I've seen were at the USAF Fire Protection School at Chanute AFB, IL, now located at Goodfellow AFB, TX. I attended rescue school where there was a heavy emphasis on familiarization and confidence with SCBA. There were two mazes and a confidence course. One maze was setup as a residential occupancy and had moveable walls and doors. The other was two-story with various sizes and types of passages, similar to some confined space trainers. The final passage was 20" X 20" and I had to exit diagonally. The first maze was with facepieces blacked-out and the other was with little or no light conditions. The confidence course has various firefighter tasks at each station and was designed to demonstrate how long a bottle would last. I don't recall specifics but I learned my limitations with SCBA and gained a new confidence in what I could do.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X