This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter Survival!

Can you help me with a paper for a fire science class?

What would you say are the key things to Firefighter safety and survival?

Are they training? Skills? Fitness? Support functions? What?

Thanks

COMMON SENSE is the most important tool in the fire service

Comment

To me, Firefighter Safety & Survival is a dynamic process, one that is constantly changing. From the first time you step foot in to the academy, till you walk out the door and retire, it will take a combination of training, teamwork, common sense, technical knowledge, fitness (heart attacks occur in more and more numbers), and the support functions. With every incident you respond to, be it fire/ems/hazmat, etc., the type of actions change to try to maintain safety and survival. I think if you are in relatively good shape, have a mix between common sense, and technical knowledge, that's an excellent combo.

------------------------------------------
      The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agenccy I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

Know where you are in the buliding. Know where your exits are(windows, doors, stairs) If the need to call Mayday came you could direct the incomming units to your location. if you don't know where you are you could be in setting yourself up for trouble.

Just my 2 cents
        David Polikoff

Comment

I don't believe there is any ONE aspect that you could name. All the things you mention contribute to firefighter safety. All the trainig in the world won't do any good if you're out of shape. You could be the best physical specimen on earth, but if you don't know what you're doing......One day a probie was complaining to me about getting stuck making the hydrant. I told him that he had one of the most important jobs on the scene. If there's no water, we'd all be in a world of hurt. Everything contibutes to safety on the fireground.

Comment

A couple of things I consider important, Keep calm, use your brain, be well trained in the tasks you have to perform. Don't do anything stupid like get yourself killed or anyone else for that mater.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X