Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of us would feel safe making an interior attack with a person that cannot hear? I wouldnt, how can a deaf person find victoms calling out in the smoke or know that the floor or roof is fixing to give way.
    Its not practical to have an interpitter following an engine crew around, my question is how did he pass the EMT test? How can a deaf person ack pertinanit negitives, or hear a call go out. If this person is hard of hearing and has a hearing device thats one thing, but deaf sounds dangerous to who ever is inside that smoke filled pitch black involved structure making the interior attack with a disabled person, and I agree with the physical test as well. Does the US armed forces accept deaf people for service?

Comment

Bottom line-would you want to go in with a deaf person and have to rely on them when things go bad? I don't. This shouldn't be about ADA rights, but about safety. The safety of himself, other firefighters, and
      civilians. As tough as it sounds, he is just
      going to have to accept that he won't be able to fight fires. The most he should be able to do is a support role.

Comment

OMG...what is it going to take to get it through everyone's head that packing up and doing interior work IS NOT the only thing that a firefighter does on the fireground?????

Comment

Originally posted by GR73:
          OMG...what is it going to take to get it through everyone's head that packing up and doing interior work IS NOT the only thing that a firefighter does on the fireground?????

I agree totally. There are so many things to be done on the fireground, seems like most of these arguements all have to do with interior work. There is still plenty for this man to do without having to go for the interior postitions. And for the person that made a comment about how did he become an EMT? Well, obviously he went to school and passed the exam and was certified. Same way the rest of us become EMT's. I'm sure he reads lips, and he might wear hearing aids. There is a lot that this article doesnt tell us about this gentleman, and I think more of an open mind should be kept until all the facts are known.

Comment

No one in this forum that has actually worked with a deaf firefighter and has real experience in this issue has advocated that deaf firefighters be utilized for an interior attack. Quite the contrary, the opinion is to keep them out to do other very valuable details. Last working structure fire I commanded had 4-5 firefighters at most inside, and at least 20 outside. As an officer I know who I can send in - and who I can NEVER send in because EVERY firefighter has his strengths and weaknesses. A deaf guy? Sure, I'll work with him.

Comment

What Did You say????
              On the serious side ....NO I would not want to go into a structure fire with someone who was deaf. Lord knows what kinda trouble You are asking for if they wanna start by allowing deaf individuals into the Fire service what is next blind drivers??? The line has gotta be drawn somewhere. There are just too many times when you need your sense of hearing to perform fireground activities on this job.

Comment

Ok. Who here is fed up with all the cockyness and hard - headedness that all too often comes with overzealous firefighters? If all you can think about is interior attacks then I wouldn't want YOU on my dept. There is so much more that goes into firefighting I can't even begin to start here. For crying out loud, all this guy wants to do is help the community and maybe follow a dream he has. The SAME dream that you probably had. Quite frankly, I would rather work with a deaf team player then some of the attitudes I've seen here. I say let him have a shot. If he really, honest to god can't do it, let him learn for himself. Think some of you guys can swallow your pride long enough for that? If you can't, you need to have a gut-check moment and find out why you're really in this. I thought compassion was part of our profession.

------------------
                Michael Wood
                FF/EMT

Comment

Ok time for my two cents! I think that a deaf firefighter could work. Interior, NO WAY!! Throwing ladders, pulling lines, packing lines, rehab, an extra set of eyes, YES!! A few things to acomodate him. Backing up the trucks, he can stay on the truck. Can't ride officer seat. Also, there is other things to do at the firehouse other than fight the fires. How about working on the computers? Cleaning the bathrooms? Balancing the books? Fire Prevention? There is a lot that a person can do besides go into the burining building. I say give this guy a chance and see how much he could surpirse you!

Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by st34ff:
                    Ok time for my two cents! I think that a deaf firefighter could work. Interior, NO WAY!! Throwing ladders, pulling lines, packing lines, rehab, an extra set of eyes, YES!! A few things to acomodate him. Backing up the trucks, he can stay on the truck. Can't ride officer seat. Also, there is other things to do at the firehouse other than fight the fires. How about working on the computers? Cleaning the bathrooms? Balancing the books? Fire Prevention? There is a lot that a person can do besides go into the burining building. I say give this guy a chance and see how much he could surpirse you!

Kyle
                    Ok, I was with you on most of the stuff until you wrote "cleaning the bathrooms". Because he has a hearing problem he should be a janitor now? There are plenty of able-bodied people in the dept, have them clean up after themselves.

Comment

Are all these negative opinions 'REAL' or are you just worried that the deaf firefighter might;
                      a) become more popular than you?
                      b) be smarter than you?
                      c) be a better firefighter than you?
                      d) all of the above?

Comment

All these "negative" opinions come from real world experience that tells me how many possible ways he can get into trouble, even as an exterior person.

Also, looks like many of you have not read the article, because you would know he's already an administrative member helping with alot of the stuff you're suggesting.

Rights end when safety suffers. If you crusaders fought fire in the real world, you'd know you wouldn't want to be trapped at a window, yelling at the deaf guy to throw you a ladder. How about, instead, we have the one-armed guy there so he can wave at you with one hand instead of throw you a ladder?

You folks scare me. And your opinions should scare your fellow firefighters if you know so little about ways that can get you into trouble on the fireground, both inside & outside the building.

Grit

Comment

Mr.Meaner: Sounds like (d) all of the above.

Comment

Mr.Meaner and ecappy, I'd have to go with 'd' also.

Comment

Grit

If you're the sensitive type, you shouldn't read any further.

With all due respect (which is dwindling alarmingly fast)....

All these "negative" opinions come from real world experience that tells me how many possible ways he can get into trouble, even as an exterior person.

If you belive PG County is the only real world of firefighting out there, you're an idiot.

All the postive FACTS about working with a deaf firefighter come from real world experience. All of the positive opinions that I have posted come from my many years of real world experience of working with a myriad of different people with different physical and mental traits including folks that think just like you along these lines.

Rights end when safety suffers.

So then this guy shouldn't drive, the safety of the public suffers - he couldn't hear those big red PG County trucks screaming up at the intersection or, the brand new tiller sliding down the highway on it's side and might get whacked, sending him careening into a school bus or a crowded bus stop killing all those innocentpeople.

Walk across the street because he might not here the horn of a car about to smack him.

Go out in public, he might not here the fire alarm in a public building or worse, he can't hear anyone call for help!

Oh, the humanity!!!

If you crusaders fought fire in the real world, you'd know you wouldn't want to be trapped at a window, yelling at the deaf guy to throw you a ladder. How about, instead, we have the one-armed guy there so he can wave at you with one hand instead of throw you a ladder?

And I wouldn't want to be waving at one of the 98# weaklings that you currently have and continue to let on the department that can't throw the 24'er by him/herself.

A real world situation for you.

You're at the window screaming and waving for help and nobody is there to throw the ladder because you and you alone were stupid enough to get yourself in too deep without a line or a RIT?

You folks scare me.

To the contrary, it is close-minded-absolute-obsolete-dinosaur thought processes like yours that are damaging to todays fire service and your type scares the hell out of me.

And your opinions should scare your fellow firefighters if you know so little about ways that can get you into trouble on the fireground, both inside & outside the building.

To be blunt, if you really believe that the positive opinions and positive facts posted here do not come from real world experience and that we couldn't possibly know about the bagillion different ways to get hurt at a fire or that those of us that believe you should at least give this guy a shot to show you what he can do are at best crusaders, even though none of has ever advocated letting the guy go in, you're an idiot.

I can't help but wonder what you thought when blacks and women started joining.

Comment

Being Honest here...as a FF I would be a little apprehensive but no way would I ever say no way no how, if there is a will there is a definite way....I would hate for someone to tell me no way can you do something, give the guy a chance....it just might surprise you and OPEN your eyes to a whole new world..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X